* Automagic content recognition - good or bad?
@ 2002-07-10 11:48 Bjørn Mork
From: Bjørn Mork @ 2002-07-10 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gnus tries very hard to be smart when viewing articles with
encapsulated files. But in the MIME-enabled world of today I often
find this more annoying than useful. Sure, recognising uuencoded files
may still be of some use, but shell archives and postscript files? I
propose that this feature is turned off by default. Ordinary lusers
like myself are very confused by not being able to discuss simple
shell scripts like

#!/bin/sh
echo .
exit 0

without Gnus thinking it's a shell archive and making an attachment
out of it.

Bjørn
--
Save the lawyers!

* Re: Automagic content recognition - good or bad?
@ 2002-07-10 12:41 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-07-10 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

You can always frob mm-uu-beginning-regexp and perhaps
mm-uu-type-alist.

M-x apropos-value RET #! RET is my friend.  It helped me find these
things very quickly :-)

kai

* Re: Automagic content recognition - good or bad?
@ 2002-07-10 12:54   ` Bjørn Mork
From: Bjørn Mork @ 2002-07-10 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You can always frob mm-uu-beginning-regexp and perhaps
> mm-uu-type-alist.

Thanks. I already found mm-uu-configure-list which did what I wanted.

But my question is really whether the default makes any sense? Having
such features is great; turning them on by default is...well, not as
great. IMHO.

> M-x apropos-value RET #! RET is my friend.  It helped me find these
> things very quickly :-)

Oh, I should learn to use emacs sometime :-) I usually grep for these
things in the gnus/lisp directory...

Bjørn

* Re: Automagic content recognition - good or bad?
@ 2002-07-10 14:33     ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-07-10 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bjørn Mork <bmork@dod.no> writes:

> Thanks. I already found mm-uu-configure-list which did what I
> wanted.
>
> But my question is really whether the default makes any sense?
> Having such features is great; turning them on by default is...well,
> not as great. IMHO.

I agree, having Gnus (by default) turn a snippit of shell code into an
attachment seems pretty bogus to me.

--
Josh Huber

* Re: Automagic content recognition - good or bad?
@ 2002-07-10 16:18       ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2002-07-10 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber@alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> I agree, having Gnus (by default) turn a snippit of shell code into an
> attachment seems pretty bogus to me.

AOL

--
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

* Re: Automagic content recognition - good or bad?
@ 2002-12-30 19:11 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2002-12-30 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bjørn Mork <bmork@dod.no> writes:

> Gnus tries very hard to be smart when viewing articles with
> encapsulated files. But in the MIME-enabled world of today I often
> find this more annoying than useful. Sure, recognising uuencoded files
> may still be of some use, but shell archives and postscript files? I
> propose that this feature is turned off by default. Ordinary lusers
> like myself are very confused by not being able to discuss simple
> shell scripts like
>
> #!/bin/sh
> echo .
> exit 0
>
> without Gnus thinking it's a shell archive and making an attachment
> out of it.

I've now changed the default of `mm-uu-configure-list' to
`((shar . disabled))'.  If anybody has any objections, please holler.

* Re: Automagic content recognition - good or bad?
@ 2002-12-30 19:26   ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2002-12-30 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've now changed the default of `mm-uu-configure-list' to
> `((shar . disabled))'.  If anybody has any objections, please holler.

Good, thanks!

--
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |      ,__o