* bug: messages were marked as read
@ 2001-07-14 18:14 Vladimir Volovich
From: Vladimir Volovich @ 2001-07-14 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

sometimes i see the bug: gnus marks a lot of messages in some groups
(nnimap or nnml) as read without any reason!

just a few seconds ago, i used
gnus-group-browse-foreign-server to read some news on a foreign server.

when i pressed on some nntp group there, it said that it does not
contain any messages, and marked a lot of messages in one of my nnimap
folders as read!

i.e., sometimes gnus marks messages in totally unrelated groups as
read after reading messages i nother groups....

Best,
v.

* Re: bug: messages were marked as read
@ 2001-07-14 19:04 ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2001-07-14 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vsu.ru> writes:

> sometimes i see the bug: gnus marks a lot of messages in some groups
> (nnimap or nnml) as read without any reason!

Unfortunately, this happens to me, too (Gnus bundled with Emacs 21 and
Oort Gnus).  Mostly with news, often up to the newest cached article.
If this happens with one Group, it's likely that other Groups are
affected, too.

I like to rate it as a serious bug, the same as Vladimir observed
(thanks for reporting!).

--
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o

* Re: bug: messages were marked as read
@ 2001-07-15  7:12   ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2001-07-15  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Karl,

you wrote:

    > Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vsu.ru> writes:
    >> sometimes i see the bug: gnus marks a lot of messages in some
    >> groups (nnimap or nnml) as read without any reason!

I have a similiar effect sometimes. After downloading new
headers/articles Gnus e.g. shows seven new articles in an nntp-Group
(the display in the group buffer). When i try to enter the group, Gnus
doesn't enter the group, the display of "7" just shows "0" and after
that it's possible to use group normally.

Best regards,
cu, -cc-
--
=> GNU Emacs Webring @ <http://www.gnusoftware.com/WebRing/> <=
Look Ma, this man can twist his fingers as if they were made of rubber,

* Re: bug: messages were marked as read
@ 2001-07-19  0:52     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-07-19  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christoph Conrad <christoph.conrad@gmx.de> writes:

> Hello Karl,
>
> you wrote:
>
>    > Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vsu.ru> writes:
>    >> sometimes i see the bug: gnus marks a lot of messages in some
>    >> groups (nnimap or nnml) as read without any reason!
>
> I have a similiar effect sometimes. After downloading new
> headers/articles Gnus e.g. shows seven new articles in an nntp-Group
> (the display in the group buffer). When i try to enter the group, Gnus
> doesn't enter the group, the display of "7" just shows "0" and after
> that it's possible to use group normally.

Do you use gnus agent? If so, gnus-agent probably hasn't downloaded
those articles.

ShengHuo

* Re: bug: messages were marked as read
@ 2001-07-28  5:34       ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2001-07-28  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Do you use gnus agent?

No, I don't.

> If so, gnus-agent probably hasn't downloaded those articles.

It just happened to me again.  Some days I crashed Emacs/Gnus (maybe,
that's related).  At least all my Groups do now contain articles marked
as read ("O") and Gnus does a large amount of nntp-fetching when I enter
such a group again.

The strange (but otherwise "good") thing is, Gnus show these marked but
not read articlesbthe first time I enter such a group again; normally
this doesn't happen, if the article were actually read by me.

--

@ 2001-11-23 20:26         ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2001-11-23 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Karl Eichwalder <keichwa@gmx.net> writes:

> At least all my Groups do now contain articles marked as read ("O")
> and Gnus does a large amount of nntp-fetching when I enter such a
> group again.

The bug is still present.  It occurs at random.  But when it occurs, all
news articles are marked as read up to the most recent ticked and cached
article.  Whenever it happens _all_ news groups are affected.

--

@ 2001-11-29  4:51           ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2001-11-29  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Karl Eichwalder <ke@gnu.franken.de> writes:

> The bug is still present.  It occurs at random.  But when it occurs,
> all news articles are marked as read up to the most recent ticked and
> cached article.  Whenever it happens _all_ news groups are affected.

I made some progress.  The bugs seems to happen only when you call
'C-x m' (which I bound to `gnus-group-mail') _before_ loading Gnus
(M-x gnus) for read News.

--

@ 2002-01-08  7:36             ` Karl Eichwalder
From: Karl Eichwalder @ 2002-01-08  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Karl Eichwalder <ke@gnu.franken.de> writes:

> Karl Eichwalder <ke@gnu.franken.de> writes:
>
>> But when it [the bug] occurs,
>> all news articles are marked as read up to the most recent ticked and
>> cached article.  Whenever it happens _all_ news groups are affected.

Still present.

> I made some progress.  The bugs seems to happen only when you call
> 'C-x m' (which I bound to `gnus-group-mail') _before_ loading Gnus
> (M-x gnus) for read News.

This seems irrelevant.  The bug doesn't happen when I enter a nnml
group after starting Gnus -- it happens when I start to read News
groups (NNTP) first.

If you cannot reproduce the bug I'll try to reproduce without private
customization.