* T-shirts departés
@ 1998-07-31 14:32 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-07-31 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phew.  The vast bulk of the shirts are now out of my hands, and into
the arms of the postal service.  All the pre-paid shirts should now be
sent out, unless I've messed up something.

There's still quite a few reserved shirts left and stuff, but sometime
next week I should know how many I have left, and let y'all know which
colors/sizes I have to order, and then anyone who wants them can
reserve them.  And stuff.

Now I think I'll veg out a bit.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: T-shirts departés
@ 1998-08-04 15:48 ` SL Baur
From: SL Baur @ 1998-08-04 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes in ding@gnus.org:

> Phew.  The vast bulk of the shirts are now out of my hands, and into
> the arms of the postal service.  All the pre-paid shirts should now be
> sent out, unless I've messed up something.

Mine arrived yesterday.  Wow!  That was quick, I wish local mail was
that fast ...

* Re: T-shirts departés
@ 1998-08-04 22:09   ` Joev Dubach
From: Joev Dubach @ 1998-08-04 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

SL Baur <steve@xemacs.org> writes:
> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes in ding@gnus.org:
>> Phew.  The vast bulk of the shirts are now out of my hands, and into
>> the arms of the postal service.  All the pre-paid shirts should now be
>> sent out, unless I've messed up something.
> Mine arrived yesterday.  Wow!  That was quick, I wish local mail was
> that fast ...

Mine also arrived yesterday.  I got two, and the yellow one appears to
be lighter than the orange one, and it has a different brand label.
Was this a known feature?  I like the orange one's sturdiness better.

The concentric circles on the front are pretty neat.  Mesmerizing.

[BTW: I tried to post this to nntp+sunsite.auc.dk:emacs.ding, but it
hung; has anybody else had trouble with this recently?  I'm backing
off to mailing to ding@gnus.org.]

Joev

  "I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was.  Now,
   what I'm 'with' isn't 'it', and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to
   me.  It'll happen to you."
          -- Grampa, The Simpsons

* Re: T-shirts departs
@ 1998-08-04 22:25     ` Mike McEwan
From: Mike McEwan @ 1998-08-04 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

dubach@dcepea.harvard.edu (Joev Dubach) writes:

> [BTW: I tried to post this to nntp+sunsite.auc.dk:emacs.ding, but it
> hung; has anybody else had trouble with this recently?  I'm backing
> off to mailing to ding@gnus.org.]

  Yep, downloading news is like sucking thick treacle through a
straw. Been like that for the last few days???

--
Mike.

* Re: T-shirts departés
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-08-05  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

dubach@dcepea.harvard.edu (Joev Dubach) writes:

> Mine also arrived yesterday.  I got two, and the yellow one appears to
> be lighter than the orange one, and it has a different brand label.
> Was this a known feature?  I like the orange one's sturdiness better.

Yeah.  I ended up with four different type shirts.  Some are quite
nice, but about half of the white XL shirts are kinda flimsy.

> The concentric circles on the front are pretty neat.  Mesmerizing.

Loook into my shirt...  You are feeling drowsy...

(Actually, they aren't circles -- it's an Archimedean spiral.  Or
whatever they're called.  I cleverly put the inner endpoint of the
spiral under the nose of the gnu.)

Say -- have anyone who's seen the shirt (and not seen the Gnus logo
before) managed to guess what it is?  I sincerly hope that nobody is
thrown into jail on satanic charges or something because of its
ambiguous imagery.

Ok, "sincerly" is perhaps overstating my true feelings.

* Re: T-shirts departés
@ 1998-08-05  7:56       ` Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1998-08-05  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 Lars> Say -- have anyone who's seen the shirt (and not seen the Gnus
 Lars> logo before) managed to guess what it is?

Even people quite familiar with the Gnus logo and me using Gnus didn't
recognize the front. The back is easier, but normally hidden by chairs
and such.

 Lars> I sincerly hope that nobody is thrown into jail on satanic
 Lars> charges or something because of its ambiguous imagery.

Hmm, if I order a white-on-black Tee next summer people will probably
mistake "Programmerer Ingebrigtsen" for a norwegian death metal group.
Nah, the letters would have to be molten gothic for that...

	Robbe

--
Robert Bihlmeyer	reads: Deutsch, English, MIME, Latin-1, NO SPAM!
<robbe@orcus.priv.at>	<http://stud2.tuwien.ac.at/~e9426626/sig.html>

* Re: T-shirts departés
@ 1998-08-05 13:06       ` luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 1998-08-05 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

    larsi> (Actually, they aren't circles -- it's an Archimedean
    larsi> spiral.  Or whatever they're called.  I cleverly put the
    larsi> inner endpoint of the spiral under the nose of the gnu.)

My first impression of the design was that it resembled the opening
sequence to a James Bond movie where he walks across the screen and
fires at the audience.

Of course, the back of the shirt would then have barely clothed
nubile blonde gnus doing the trampoline thing.

"Dr. Gno", "From Gnus with Love", "Gnusfinger", &c.

* Re: T-shirts departés
@ 1998-08-05 17:58         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-08-05 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

luis fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> writes:

>     larsi> (Actually, they aren't circles -- it's an Archimedean
>     larsi> spiral.  Or whatever they're called.  I cleverly put the
>     larsi> inner endpoint of the spiral under the nose of the gnu.)
>
> My first impression of the design was that it resembled the opening
> sequence to a James Bond movie where he walks across the screen and
> fires at the audience.
>
> Of course, the back of the shirt would then have barely clothed
> nubile blonde gnus doing the trampoline thing.
>
> "Dr. Gno",   <==good one

Maybe with 'Odd-jobs' as a hardened lisp programmer.

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Re: T-shirts departés
@ 1998-08-05 19:44       ` Oyvind Moll
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Oyvind Moll @ 1998-08-05 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

| Say -- have anyone who's seen the shirt (and not seen the Gnus logo
| before) managed to guess what it is?

No.  But then again many don't "get" the startup-splash-logo if I
start Gnus in a 80-by-25 console, either.

On a side note:  my girlfriend apparently likes the Gnus logo: she
painted it on one of her fingernails just the other day.  It has been
duly photographed, of course.

Any tattoos out there yet?

--
   Øyvind Møll
   oyvindmo@initio.no

                                  # tattgnoos?

* Re: T-shirts departés
@ 1998-08-06  0:10         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-08-06  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oyvind Moll <oyvindmo@initio.no> writes:

> On a side note:  my girlfriend apparently likes the Gnus logo: she
> painted it on one of her fingernails just the other day.  It has been
> duly photographed, of course.

URL!  URL!  :-)

> Any tattoos out there yet?

Huh.  I wonder whether it's difficult making one of those press-on
"tattoos"; I think the stark lines of the logo would make a neat
tattoo.

* Re: T-shirts departés
@ 1998-08-06  7:33           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-08-06  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Huh.  I wonder whether it's difficult making one of those press-on
> "tattoos"; I think the stark lines of the logo would make a neat
> tattoo.

www.pynx.com (for instance) makes custom tats for $0.20 a piece...
Hmmm...  Hmmmmm...

I should have made some before the t-shirts so I could have snuck one
into each package.

* Re: T-shirts departés
@ 1998-08-06 11:27           ` \yvind M|ll
From: \yvind M|ll @ 1998-08-06 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

| Oyvind Moll <oyvindmo@initio.no> writes:
|
| > On a side note:  my girlfriend apparently likes the Gnus logo: she
| > painted it on one of her fingernails just the other day.  It has been
| > duly photographed, of course.
|
| URL!  URL!  :-)

I'll holler and wave my arms manically as soon as the pictures are
available. (Still some to go before the film is full, I'm afraid.)

| > Any tattoos out there yet?
|
| Huh.  I wonder whether it's difficult making one of those press-on
| "tattoos"; I think the stark lines of the logo would make a neat
| tattoo.

Maybe to go with whatever Mucho Neat Merchandise you come up with next
spring/summer, so our SOs can wear them on their bare stomachs or
whatever.  :]

--
   Øyvind Møll
   oyvindmo@pvv.ntnu.no

                          # merchandie?

* Re: T-shirts departés
@ 1998-08-06 13:41         ` Jonas Luster
From: Jonas Luster @ 1998-08-06 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Oyvind Moll <oyvindmo@initio.no> writes:

> Any tattoos out there yet?

Yepp.

jonas

--
Jonas Luster -- jonas@cabal.arnooo.de -- http://www.freenews.de/jonas/

* Re: T-shirts departés
@ 1998-08-07  9:50         ` Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1998-08-07  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 Oyvind> No. But then again many don't "get" the startup-splash-logo
 Oyvind> if I start Gnus in a 80-by-25 console, either.

For some months, I have always thought it depicts a running garcon
with a tablet (the horns) on a raised hand. I'm cured now.

	Robbe

--

@ 1998-08-07 11:49           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-08-07 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Bihlmeyer <e9426626@stud2.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> For some months, I have always thought it depicts a running garcon
> with a tablet (the horns) on a raised hand. I'm cured now.

He was a hunchback, wasn't he?

* Re: T-shirts departés
@ 1998-08-07 12:41             ` Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1998-08-07 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 Lars> Robert Bihlmeyer <e9426626@stud2.tuwien.ac.at> writes:
 >> For some months, I have always thought it depicts a running garcon
 >> with a tablet (the horns) on a raised hand. I'm cured now.

 Lars> He was a hunchback, wasn't he?

No, that's the other arm (the gnu's backside). Big shoulder though ...

	Robbe