* Problems with Gnus Agent-Mode (5.10 and 5.11)
@ 2006-09-08 10:21 Robert Rakowicz
From: Robert Rakowicz @ 2006-09-08 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

on my Win32 Box I installed CVS Emacs with Gnus 5.11. I have some
problem with Agent-Mode and I don't know why.maybe anybody can tell me
what is wrong here ;)

Now, I start Gnus an go *online* with 'J-j', then I refresh
*Group-Buffer* with 'g' and receive new Headers with 'J-s'. Now as
example I see

,----
| 4: pl.comp.os.linux
`----

this group has 4 new Messages. I join the group and mark all messages as
donloadable with 'J-#'

,----
| %. [  17: rz                     ] Re: Czy ktoś mógłby...
| %.     [  22: Konrad Kosmowski       ]
| %.         [  26: rz                     ]
| %. [  11: incuś                  ] Re: Regiony DVD - jak sprawdzić?
`----

Then I leve the group with 'q' ans I see

,----
| 1: pl.comp.os.linux
`----

Gnus mean now there are only one new message. After body download 'J-s'
the group has really only one new message to read for me.
I have this problem always with different groups. With Gnus 5.9 works all
perfect for me. I would like change to 5.11 but...

Any Idea what I can do?

Remove all directories ~/Mail and ~/News has no effect.

Pozdrawiam/Gruß/Regards
Robert Rakowicz

--
Robert Rakowicz
E-Mail: b9009@rjap.de

* Re: Problems with Gnus Agent-Mode (5.10 and 5.11)
@ 2006-09-13 20:55 ` Robert Rakowicz
From: Robert Rakowicz @ 2006-09-13 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

hmm I can't believe it, really nobody has any tips/ hints for my problem
with agent-mode?

Pozdrawiam/Gruß/Regards
Robert Rakowicz

--

@ 2006-09-17  7:26   ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2006-09-17  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Rakowicz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> hmm I can't believe it, really nobody has any tips/ hints for my problem
> with agent-mode?

It could be because your problem sounds more like a scoring issue than
an agent issue.

What is the value of your gnus-summary-line-format?  To be more
specific, does it contain the '%z' format specifier?  If you do not have
this specifier, you would not know which articles have been scored down
vs. up.

When you have a group with "missing articles", reopen it then try the '/
o' command.  This will display old articles that hopefully includes your
missing articles.  Move the cursor over any of the missing articles then
enter 'V S' to display that article's score.  If the number is negative,
gnus most-likely excluding it per your scoring rules.

Kevin

* Re: Problems with Gnus Agent-Mode (5.10 and 5.11)
@ 2006-09-17 17:14     ` Robert Rakowicz
From: Robert Rakowicz @ 2006-09-17 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner <kevin.greiner@compsol.cc> writes:

> Robert Rakowicz wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > hmm I can't believe it, really nobody has any tips/ hints for my problem
> > with agent-mode?
> >

> It could be because your problem sounds more like a scoring issue than
> an agent issue.

Hmm, and why do you think that? My Gnus setup is really easy.

> What is the value of your gnus-summary-line-format?  To be more
> specific, does it contain the '%z' format specifier?  If you do not have
> this specifier, you would not know which articles have been scored down
> vs. up.

I do not have changed this variable. He has default values

,----[ C-h v gnus-summary-line-format RET ]

`----

> When you have a group with "missing articles", reopen it then try the '/
> o' command.  This will display old articles that hopefully includes your
> missing articles.  Move the cursor over any of the missing articles then
> enter 'V S' to display that article's score.  If the number is negative,
> gnus most-likely excluding it per your scoring rules.

I have not changed my scoring rules between 5.9 and 5.10 or 5.11

,----[ ~/.gnus.el(Score) ]
`----

,----[ ~/News/agentscore/de.comm.software.gnus ]
| ;; -*- mode: Gnus-Score -*-
| (
|  ("subject"
|   ("[SPAM]" -1 nil s)
|   ("[SPAM?]" -1 nil s))
|  ("message-id"
|   ("@rjap.de\\|@localhost.localdomain" 1000 nil s))
|  ("references"
|   ("@rjap.de\\|@localhost.localdomain" 1000 nil s)))
`----

I have only one "default" category

,----
| ;;; Editing the predicate for category default
| ;; Type `C-c C-c' after you've finished editing.
|
| false
`----

Pozdrawiam/Gruß/Regards
Robert Rakowicz

--

@ 2006-09-18  0:12       ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2006-09-18  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Rakowicz wrote:
> Kevin Greiner <kevin.greiner@compsol.cc> writes:
>

>> Robert Rakowicz wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> hmm I can't believe it, really nobody has any tips/ hints for my problem
>>> with agent-mode?
>>>

>> It could be because your problem sounds more like a scoring issue than
>> an agent issue.
>>

> Hmm, and why do you think that? My Gnus setup is really easy.
>

>> What is the value of your gnus-summary-line-format?  To be more
>> specific, does it contain the '%z' format specifier?  If you do not have
>> this specifier, you would not know which articles have been scored down
>> vs. up.
>>

> I do not have changed this variable. He has default values
>
> ,----[ C-h v gnus-summary-line-format RET ]
> | gnus-summary-line-format is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
> | Its value is
> | "%U%R%z%I%(%[%4L: %-20,20n%]%) %s\n"
> |
> | Documentation:
> | *The format specification of the lines in the summary buffer.

> | You can customize this variable.
> `----
>

>> When you have a group with "missing articles", reopen it then try the '/
>> o' command.  This will display old articles that hopefully includes your
>> missing articles.  Move the cursor over any of the missing articles then
>> enter 'V S' to display that article's score.  If the number is negative,
>> gnus most-likely excluding it per your scoring rules.
>>

> I have not changed my scoring rules between 5.9 and 5.10 or 5.11
>
> ,----[ ~/.gnus.el(Score) ]
> | (setq gnus-parameters
> |         '(
> |           ("de\\.comm\\.software\\.gnus"
> |            (agent-predicate . high)
> |            (agent-score "~/News/agentscore/de.comm.software.gnus"))
> |           ))
> `----
>
> ,----[ ~/News/agentscore/de.comm.software.gnus ]
> | ;; -*- mode: Gnus-Score -*-
> | (
> |  ("subject"
> |   ("[SPAM]" -1 nil s)
> |   ("[SPAM?]" -1 nil s))
> |  ("message-id"
> |   ("@rjap.de\\|@localhost.localdomain" 1000 nil s))
> |  ("references"
> |   ("@rjap.de\\|@localhost.localdomain" 1000 nil s)))
> `----
>
> I have only one "default" category
>
> ,----
> | ;;; Editing the predicate for category default
> | ;; Type `C-c C-c' after you've finished editing.
> |
> | false
> `----

Interesting. That may clear scoring but it still doesn't indicate any
problem with the agent. Did you try the gnus-summary-insert-old-articles
('/ o') command at all?

Your original email read, in part:

    Now, I start Gnus an go *online* with 'J-j', then I refresh
    *Group-Buffer* with 'g' and receive new Headers with 'J-s'. Now as
    example I see

    ,----
    | 4: pl.comp.os.linux
    `----

    this group has 4 new Messages.

Up to this point, you apparently feel that everything is working. That's
good as neither J-J nor J-s are capable of marking articles.

    I join the group and mark all messages as
    donloadable with 'J-#'

    ,----
    | %. [  17: rz                     ] Re: Czy ktoś mógłby...
    | %.     [  22: Konrad Kosmowski       ]
    | %.         [  26: rz                     ]
    | %. [  11: incuś                  ] Re: Regiony DVD - jak sprawdzić?
    `----

The 'J-#' command (gnus-agent-mark-article) simply applies a download
mark (a character) to an article using gnus-summary-update-mark. That
function happens to be the primary mechanism for setting any sort of
mark. A problem here should result in wide spread errors for many people.

    Then I leve the group with 'q' ans I see

    ,----
    | 1: pl.comp.os.linux
    `----

OK, so leaving a group results in some articles disappearing. That's
when scoring is applies which is why I pointed you in that direction.
You really must try the gnus-summary-insert-old-articles command. If you
can get these articles back, you'll have someway to reproduce the
problem at will and then you can experiment with changing your
configuration to fix it.

To fully clear, or indict, the agent, try setting your gnus-parameters
to nil. You can set up the same configuration using group customization
(G c) in the group buffer to set these agent parameters.

Kevin

* Re: Problems with Gnus Agent-Mode (5.10 and 5.11)
@ 2006-09-18 16:32         ` Robert Rakowicz
From: Robert Rakowicz @ 2006-09-18 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner <kevin.greiner@compsol.cc> writes:

Hi Kevin,

now I tested it again. You know my Gnus setup is easy and scoring rules
too.
You are right - Gnus downloaded all Artickles that I marked do download,
but some of then are immedialy marked as read.
I don't know why. Maybe do you have a good tip for me whats wrong with
my setup?

Pozdrawiam/Gruß/Regards
Robert Rakowicz
--