* Denying a server on purpose at startup
@ 2003-06-13 17:22 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-06-13 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Details:

  I'm doing lots of experimenting with networking gateways ip rules
  etc.

In one config I have no access to a certain nntpserver.

Starting gnus in that network config I get prompted for
Authentication but that won't work because this particular server
only serves to its own network (cox.net)

So I'm prompted a total of 12 times.  Apparently once for each group.
Hitting C-g 12 times gets me started then go to server buffer and
deny cox.net.... I'm good from there on..(or until I switch
netconfig and kill gnus or something which is happening often right
now)

So looking for a handy way to skip the 12 C-gs'

Starting up with gnus-no-server is even more laborious getting to a
working setup.  Here I mean pulling up the right servers after
startup and the like.

* Re: Denying a server on purpose at startup
@ 2003-06-13 18:12 ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 2003-06-13 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>  on Fri, 13 Jun 2003

[snip]

Hm.

I think you can do that by setting the group levels below some connection
threshold, like 6 or 7.

Is it an option for you to maintain separate Gnus configurations and
separate newsrc files for "everything but cox" and "cox"?  That's more of a
sledge hammer approach, but it works for some.

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \

* Re: Denying a server on purpose at startup
@ 2003-06-13 20:36 ` David S Goldberg
From: David S Goldberg @ 2003-06-13 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Untested, but based on a quick read of gnus-start.el perhaps it would
work to add a an appropriate call to gnus-server-deny-server to
gnus-read-newsrc-el-hook?
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: Denying a server on purpose at startup
@ 2003-06-14  1:24   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-06-14  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> | Can some one tell me how to deny a certain server on startup of gnus

> I think you can do that by setting the group levels below some connection
> threshold, like 6 or 7.
>
> Is it an option for you to maintain separate Gnus configurations and
> separate newsrc files for "everything but cox" and "cox"?  That's more of a
> sledge hammer approach, but it works for some.

For short term situation I think your first notion will do all I
need. I'd forgotten about that, but have used it in the past.

David S Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:

> Untested, but based on a quick read of gnus-start.el perhaps it would
> work to add a an appropriate call to gnus-server-deny-server to
> gnus-read-newsrc-el-hook?

Now this sounds even easier with less side effects, ifonly I would
finally learn enough lisp to do something probably fairly simple like
you described.. thanks ... I'll take a look.

* Re: Denying a server on purpose at startup
@ 2003-06-14  9:32     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-06-14  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jun 14 2003, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:
[...]
>> I think you can do that by setting the group levels below some connection
>> threshold, like 6 or 7.
[...]
> For short term situation I think your first notion will do all I
> need. I'd forgotten about that, but have used it in the past.

I wonder if agentizing the server would be useful in your situation.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Denying a server on purpose at startup
@ 2003-06-16 14:56     ` David S Goldberg
From: David S Goldberg @ 2003-06-16 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> David S Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:

>> Untested, but based on a quick read of gnus-start.el perhaps it would
>> work to add a an appropriate call to gnus-server-deny-server to
>> gnus-read-newsrc-el-hook?

> Now this sounds even easier with less side effects, ifonly I would
> finally learn enough lisp to do something probably fairly simple like
> you described.. thanks ... I'll take a look.

(add-hook 'gnus-read-newsrc-el-hook
          (lambda ()
            (gnus-server-deny-server "your-server-name-here")))

hth,
--

@ 2003-06-17  4:32       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-06-17  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Sat, Jun 14 2003, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:
> [...]
>>> I think you can do that by setting the group levels below some connection
>>> threshold, like 6 or 7.
> [...]
>> For short term situation I think your first notion will do all I
>> need. I'd forgotten about that, but have used it in the past.
>
> I wonder if agentizing the server would be useful in your situation.

Just curious, since my little mess is now over, how you think that
might help?

* Re: Denying a server on purpose at startup
@ 2003-06-17  4:33       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-06-17  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

David S Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:

>> Now this sounds even easier with less side effects, ifonly I would
>> finally learn enough lisp to do something probably fairly simple like
>> you described.. thanks ... I'll take a look.
>
> (add-hook 'gnus-read-newsrc-el-hook
>           (lambda ()
>             (gnus-server-deny-server "your-server-name-here")))

Sometimes laziness pays off... thanks.

* Re: Denying a server on purpose at startup
@ 2003-06-17  5:24         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2003-06-17  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> David S Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:
>
>>> Now this sounds even easier with less side effects, ifonly I would
>>> finally learn enough lisp to do something probably fairly simple like
>>> you described.. thanks ... I'll take a look.
>>
>> (add-hook 'gnus-read-newsrc-el-hook
>>           (lambda ()
>>             (gnus-server-deny-server "your-server-name-here")))
>>

> Sometimes laziness pays off... thanks.

In this case maybe not... hehe.

That doesn't seem to work.
Tried both these:
   news.west.cox.net
   nntp:news.west.cox.net)

In either case the result is that gnus doesn't know that server name.
(backtrace included)
In both cases the server name is taken directly from `server' buffer.

(add-hook 'gnus-read-newsrc-el-hook
           (lambda ()
             (gnus-server-deny-server "news.west.cox.net")))

From Messages buffer with both syntax:

  Reading /home/reader/.newsrc-enews.newsguy.com.eld...
  gnus-server-deny-server: No such server: news.west.cox.net

  Reading /home/reader/.newsrc-enews.newsguy.com.eld...
  gnus-server-deny-server: No such server: nntp:news.west.cox.net

Back trace

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "No such server: nntp:news.west.cox.net")
  signal(error ("No such server: nntp:news.west.cox.net"))
  error("No such server: %s" "nntp:news.west.cox.net")
  gnus-server-deny-server("nntp:news.west.cox.net")
  (lambda nil (gnus-server-deny-server "nntp:news.west.cox.net"))()
  run-hooks(gnus-read-newsrc-el-hook)
  apply(run-hooks gnus-read-newsrc-el-hook)
  gnus-run-hooks(gnus-read-newsrc-el-hook)
  gnus-read-newsrc-el-file("/home/reader/.newsrc-enews.newsguy.com.el")
  gnus-read-newsrc-file(nil)
  gnus-setup-news(nil nil nil)

  [...] snip byte code

  gnus-1(nil nil nil)
  gnus(nil)
* call-interactively(gnus)
  command-execute(gnus)
  command-line-1(("-f" "gnus"))
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()

* Re: Denying a server on purpose at startup
@ 2003-06-17 12:15         ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-06-17 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 17 2003, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:
>> I wonder if agentizing the server would be useful in your situation.
>
> Just curious, since my little mess is now over, how you think that
> might help?

Personally, I don't use the agent (yet), so I'm not the right person
to give you a good advice here.  I only thought that you could start
the server `unplugged' [1] and put it in `plugged' state iff you have
access to the machine in question.  But I might be completely wrong.

Bye, Reiner.

[1] See (info "(gnus)Gnus Unplugged") for details.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)