* possible bug: article marks are wrong when moving article
@ 2003-05-23 17:59 Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-05-23 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simple to replicate, only tested under nnimap but might be
backend-independendent:

pick a previously ticked article

unmark it (M-u)

move it to another group

The article just moved is still ticked.

Can anyone verify that this is a bug and not something caused by my
configuration?

Thanks
Ted

* Re: possible bug: article marks are wrong when moving article
@ 2003-05-23 21:19 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-05-23 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Simple to replicate, only tested under nnimap but might be
> backend-independendent:
>
> pick a previously ticked article
>
> unmark it (M-u)
>
> move it to another group
>
> The article just moved is still ticked.
>
> Can anyone verify that this is a bug and not something caused by my
> configuration?

I didn't reproduce it, but it is most likely a bug.  The reason is
that Gnus only propagate marks in the summary buffer to the server
when you quit the summary buffer.  If you unmark something and then
move it, the move command will use the old flags.  The solution would
be to make the move command change the flags, alas I don't have a
specific patch in mind.

* Re: possible bug: article marks are wrong when moving article
@ 2003-05-24 11:01   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-05-24 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 23 May 2003, jas@extundo.com wrote:
> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> Simple to replicate, only tested under nnimap but might be
>> backend-independendent:
>>
>> pick a previously ticked article
>>
>> unmark it (M-u)
>>
>> move it to another group
>>
>> The article just moved is still ticked.
>>
>> Can anyone verify that this is a bug and not something caused by my
>> configuration?
>
> I didn't reproduce it, but it is most likely a bug.  The reason is
> that Gnus only propagate marks in the summary buffer to the server
> when you quit the summary buffer.  If you unmark something and then
> move it, the move command will use the old flags.  The solution
> would be to make the move command change the flags, alas I don't
> have a specific patch in mind.

So the temporary solution is to quit the summary, go back and then
move?

Is the "update marks on server" command a stand-alone function that
the article move/copy operation can trigger?  If you could point me to
where it happens, maybe I can do the rest.

@ 2003-05-24 14:07     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-05-24 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Fri, 23 May 2003, jas@extundo.com wrote:
>> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>>
>>> Simple to replicate, only tested under nnimap but might be
>>> backend-independendent:
>>>
>>> pick a previously ticked article
>>>
>>> unmark it (M-u)
>>>
>>> move it to another group
>>>
>>> The article just moved is still ticked.
>>>
>>> Can anyone verify that this is a bug and not something caused by my
>>> configuration?
>>
>> I didn't reproduce it, but it is most likely a bug.  The reason is
>> that Gnus only propagate marks in the summary buffer to the server
>> when you quit the summary buffer.  If you unmark something and then
>> move it, the move command will use the old flags.  The solution
>> would be to make the move command change the flags, alas I don't
>> have a specific patch in mind.
>
> So the temporary solution is to quit the summary, go back and then
> move?

Yup.  Or move it and mark it in the new folder.

> Is the "update marks on server" command a stand-alone function that
> the article move/copy operation can trigger?  If you could point me to
> where it happens, maybe I can do the rest.

gnus-summary-update-info is run on 'q' and propagates the flags, but
that shouldn't be called at move time since it updates all flags.  I
think the proper solution would be to move the article and then call
gnus-request-set-mark from gnus-summary-move-article, but this seems
to already happen.  Perhaps there is a bug?  Yes, it seems to only do
set-mark with the 'add operation, which only add the correct marks.
The problem here seem to be that some marks are not removed too.  So
it should do another call with 'del, or the logic should be replaced
with some logic that finds out all flags and then do a 'set operation.

* Re: possible bug: article marks are wrong when moving article
@ 2003-05-25 11:02       ` Michael R. Wolf
From: Michael R. Wolf @ 2003-05-25 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

[...]

>> So the temporary solution is to quit the summary, go back and then
>> move?
>
> Yup.  Or move it and mark it in the new folder.
>
>> Is the "update marks on server" command a stand-alone function that
>> the article move/copy operation can trigger?  If you could point me to
>> where it happens, maybe I can do the rest.
>
> gnus-summary-update-info is run on 'q' and propagates the flags, but

Is it also called with 'M-g' (gnus-summary-rescan-group)? If so, then
it's an easier solution than doing the exit and reentry.

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!

* Re: possible bug: article marks are wrong when moving article
@ 2003-05-25 14:38         ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-05-25 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

"Michael R. Wolf" <MichaelRunningWolf@att.net> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>>> So the temporary solution is to quit the summary, go back and then
>>> move?
>>
>> Yup.  Or move it and mark it in the new folder.
>>
>>> Is the "update marks on server" command a stand-alone function that
>>> the article move/copy operation can trigger?  If you could point me to
>>> where it happens, maybe I can do the rest.
>>
>> gnus-summary-update-info is run on 'q' and propagates the flags, but
>
> Is it also called with 'M-g' (gnus-summary-rescan-group)? If so, then
> it's an easier solution than doing the exit and reentry.

Yup.  Still only as a workaround, though.

* Re: possible bug: article marks are wrong when moving article
@ 2003-05-25 23:52           ` Michael R. Wolf
From: Michael R. Wolf @ 2003-05-25 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> "Michael R. Wolf" <MichaelRunningWolf@att.net> writes:
>
>> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>>
>>> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Yup.  Or move it and mark it in the new folder.

>>> gnus-summary-update-info is run on 'q' and propagates the flags, but
>>
>> Is it also called with 'M-g' (gnus-summary-rescan-group)? If so, then
>> it's an easier solution than doing the exit and reentry.
>
> Yup.  Still only as a workaround, though.

Yeah, but it's only one command, and confines you to the group of
interest. I was glad to find this command because it prevented me from
escaping into the Group buffer where the normal flow control dropped
me down a few groups to the unread group, requiring me to remember
which group to get back into. I like my machines to remember my return
location for me since my brain can only hold so many things at once
(on a good day).