* Re: Gnus lies about downloaded state
@ 2003-01-16  1:21 Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 2003-01-16  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner writes:

  Kevin> Well, the good news is that you and Danny are reporting consistent
  Kevin> results.  The bad news is that we've narrowed the problem to
  Kevin> gnus-sum!

  Kevin> What value do you have for gnus-summary-mark-positions?  (It's
  Kevin> buffer local to the summary buffer.)

gnus-summary-mark-positions's value is
((download . 8)
 (score . 2)
 (replied . 1)
 (unread . 0))

  Kevin> You should see (download . #) where # is the column number where
  Kevin> you expect to see the +/- download mark.

  Kevin> If that looks right, try adding this statement to the beginning of
  Kevin> gnus-summary-insert-line

  Kevin> (princ (format "%s %s\n" gnus-tmp-current undownloaded (get-buffer
  Kevin> "**scratch**")))

nil t
nil t

This is strange.  gnus-summary-insert-line only called twice?  I have ~250
unread articles.  and Why article number is nil?  hmmm...

  Kevin> This will print the article number and download status (downloaded
  Kevin> ==> nil / undownloaded ==> t) to the scratch buffer.

  Kevin> After displaying the summary, check scratch to see if the download
  Kevin> flag matches what is displayed.  By your descriptions it should not
  Kevin> match.

  Kevin> Pls send me the value of your gnus-format-specs.

((summary-dummy "                %(|---------------------------|%) %S\n"
                (progn
                  (insert "                ")
                  (gnus-put-text-property
                   (point)
                   (progn
                     (insert "|---------------------------|")
                     (point))
                   gnus-mouse-face-prop gnus-mouse-face)
                  (insert " " gnus-tmp-subject "\n")))
 (summary-mode "Gnus: %g [%A] %Z"
               (concat
                (format "Gnus: %s [%d] %s"
                        (gnus-short-group-name gnus-tmp-group-name)
                        gnus-tmp-article-number gnus-tmp-unread-and-unselected)))
 (summary "%U%R%z%5N%O %(%8&user-date; %~(pad 2)~(max 2)~(ignore \"1\")t%[%5k:%* %-20,20n%] %B%s%)\n"
          (let
              (gnus-position)
            (insert
             (format "%c%c%c%5d%c " gnus-tmp-unread gnus-tmp-replied gnus-tmp-score-char
                     (aref gnus-tmp-header 0)
                     gnus-tmp-downloaded))
            (gnus-put-text-property
             (point)
             (progn
               (insert
                (format "%8s %2s%c%5s:"
                        (gnus-user-date
                         (aref gnus-tmp-header 3))
                        (let*
                            ((val
                              (eval
                               (let
                                   ((val
                                     (eval
                                      (let
                                          ((val
                                            (eval
                                             (int-to-string
                                              (gnus-summary-number-of-articles-in-thread
                                               (and
                                                (boundp 'thread)
                                                (car thread))
                                               gnus-tmp-level)))))
                                        (if
                                            (equal val "1")
                                            "" val)))))
                                 (if
                                     (>
                                      (string-width val)
                                      2)
                                     (gnus-correct-substring val 0 2)
                                   val))))
                             (need
                              (- 2
                                 (string-width val))))
                          (if
                              (> need 0)
                              (concat
                               (make-string need 32)
                               val nil)
                            val))
                        gnus-tmp-opening-bracket
                        (gnus-summary-line-message-size gnus-tmp-header)))
               (setq gnus-position
                     (point))
               (insert
                (format " %-20s%c %s%s"
                        (let*
                            ((val
                              (eval
                               (if
                                   (>
                                    (string-width gnus-tmp-name)
                                    20)
                                   (gnus-correct-substring gnus-tmp-name 0 20)
                                 gnus-tmp-name)))
                             (need
                              (- 20
                                 (string-width val))))
                          (if
                              (> need 0)
                              (concat nil val
                                      (make-string need 32))
                            val))
                        gnus-tmp-closing-bracket gnus-tmp-thread-tree-header-string gnus-tmp-subject-or-nil))
               (point))
             gnus-mouse-face-prop gnus-mouse-face)
            (insert "\n")
            (if gnus-position
                (gnus-put-text-property gnus-position
                                        (1+ gnus-position)
                                        'gnus-position t))))
 (group-mode "Gnus: %%b {%M%:%S}"
             (concat
              (format "Gnus: %%b {%s%s%s}" gnus-tmp-news-method gnus-tmp-colon gnus-tmp-news-server)))
 (group "%m%M%S%P%2L [.%~(ignore 0)-3U !%~(ignore 0)-3T] %4y: %(%-20uG%) %20ue\n"
        (progn
          (insert
           (format "%c%c%c%s%2d [.%-3s !%-3s] %4s: "
                   (gnus-group-new-mail gnus-tmp-group)
                   gnus-tmp-marked-mark gnus-tmp-subscribed gnus-group-indentation gnus-tmp-level
                   (let*
                       ((val
                         (eval
                          (let
                              ((val
                                (eval
                                 (int-to-string
                                  (gnus-number-of-unseen-articles-in-group gnus-tmp-group)))))
                            (if
                                (equal val "0")
                                "" val))))
                        (need
                         (- 3
                            (string-width val))))
                     (if
                         (> need 0)
                         (concat nil val
                                 (make-string need 32))
                       val))
                   (let*
                       ((val
                         (eval
                          (let
                              ((val
                                (eval
                                 (int-to-string
                                  (gnus-range-length
                                   (cdr
                                    (assq 'tick gnus-tmp-marked)))))))
                            (if
                                (equal val "0")
                                "" val))))
                        (need
                         (- 3
                            (string-width val))))
                     (if
                         (> need 0)
                         (concat nil val
                                 (make-string need 32))
                       val))
                   gnus-tmp-number-of-unread))
          (gnus-put-text-property
           (point)
           (progn
             (insert
              (format "%-20s"
                      (gnus-user-format-function-G gnus-tmp-header)))
             (point))
           gnus-mouse-face-prop gnus-mouse-face)
          (insert
           (format " %20s\n"
                   (gnus-user-format-function-e gnus-tmp-header)))))
 (version . "21.2.1")
 (article-mode "Gnus: %g [%w] %S%m"
               (concat
                (format "Gnus: %s [%s] %s%s"
                        (gnus-short-group-name gnus-tmp-group-name)
                        (gnus-article-wash-status)
                        gnus-tmp-subject
                        (gnus-article-mime-part-status)))))

--
Danny Siu

* Re: Gnus lies about downloaded state
@ 2003-01-23 19:45                     ` Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 2003-01-23 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner writes:

  Kevin> Danny, We've been on this thread for a week now.  Can you summarize
  Kevin> the error that you are currently seeing?  We've had so many posts
  Kevin> that I'm not certain that I understand the current situation.

I think I am close to nailing down the cause of the problem.  Will need to
debug more to confirm my result.  Here are the high level bits.

The problem arises in gnus-summary-prepare-unthreaded and
gnus-summary-prepare-threads where gnus-newsgroup-undownloaded contains
incorrect article numbers of undownloadeds when those articles are actually
downloaded.  i tracked it down to gnus-select-newsgroup() which uses
gnus-agent-get-undownloaded-list to update gnus-newsgroup-undownloaded.

In gnus-agent-get-undownloaded-list(), sometimes 'undownloaded' is
calculated incorrectly and hence affacts gnus-newsgroup-undownloaded which
used by gnus-sum.  undownloaded contains a list of article number which are
in fact downloaded.  That is confirmed by breaking and looking at (alist
(gnus-agent-load-alist gnus-newsgroup-name)) at the very beginning.

One more observation: entering a group with and without prefix (C-u) MADE a
different on how the summary buffer is highlighted.  C-u enter a group
almost always give me a correctly highlighted summary versus entering a
group without prefix will show the problem of incorrectly highlighted
download states.  In debugging gnus-agent-get-undownloaded-list(), I think
the two cases differs only in the content of (headers
gnus-newsgroup-headers).

Any additional info is welcome.  I will dig in more later today.

--
Danny Siu

* Re: Gnus lies about downloaded state
@ 2003-01-23 14:11                         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-23 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:

> For article A, this is correct (if ugly) behavior.  The agent and
> cache are two distinct services so an article can be cached yet
> undownloaded :(.

FWIW, I just checked on article 44159 in gnus.ding on quimby.  It is
cached and marked as not downloaded.  But I have a file
News/agent/nntp/quimby/gnus/ding/44159, and it has the right contents.

And gnus-agent-article-alist has the entry (44159 . 731213) for this
article.

So I suspect that ticked articles suffer from the same bug as M-u'd
ones.  (Probably most articles are downloaded anyway -- including the
ones I later tick -- because I have the habit of doing `J s' after
getting new news, and also I have gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article in
gnus-select-article-hook.)
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: Gnus lies about downloaded state
@ 2003-01-23 13:16                       ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-01-23 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:
>
>> We've been on this thread for a week now.  Can you summarize the
>> error that you are currently seeing?  We've had so many posts that
>> I'm not certain that I understand the current situation.
>
> Same here :-)  I just know what I'm seeing.
>
> Again:
>
> Let A be a ticked (and thus, cached) article.  Let B be an unread
> article (that I have read before but then hit M-u on it).  Let C be
> an unseen article (displayed with `.').  Let these be the only
> articles that are shown after RET on the group.
>
> A is shown in gnus-summary-high-undownloaded-face, and the %O marker
> is -.
> B is shown in gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face, and the %O
> marker is -.
> C is shown in gnus-summary-normal-unread-face, and the %O marker is +.
>
> I'm not sure whether the %O marker for A is correct or not: OT1H, it
> *should* be downloaded, but OTOH, it's also cached.

For article A, this is correct (if ugly) behavior.  The agent and
cache are two distinct services so an article can be cached yet
undownloaded :(.

As for the rest, I'll keep looking.

Kevin

* Re: Gnus lies about downloaded state
@ 2003-01-23 10:39                     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-23 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:

> We've been on this thread for a week now.  Can you summarize the
> error that you are currently seeing?  We've had so many posts that
> I'm not certain that I understand the current situation.

Same here :-)  I just know what I'm seeing.

Again:

Let A be a ticked (and thus, cached) article.  Let B be an unread
article (that I have read before but then hit M-u on it).  Let C be
an unseen article (displayed with `.').  Let these be the only
articles that are shown after RET on the group.

A is shown in gnus-summary-high-undownloaded-face, and the %O marker
is -.
B is shown in gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face, and the %O
marker is -.
C is shown in gnus-summary-normal-unread-face, and the %O marker is +.

I'm not sure whether the %O marker for A is correct or not: OT1H, it
*should* be downloaded, but OTOH, it's also cached.

But I'm certain that the %O marker for B is wrong: I can `g' on the
article while unplugged.

The %O marker for C seems to be correct.

Now I read article C and then hit M-g.

A is shown as before, in gnus-summary-high-undownloaded-face with %O
being -.
B has changed.  It is shown in gnus-summary-normal-unread-face, and
the %O marker is now +.
Now C is not shown anymore, of course.

This behavior is reproducable.

> If the problem is in the selection of the face, you should check the
> value of gnus-summary-highlight.  It's value is expanded into a cond
> so the first case that matches determines the face.

I'm enclosing my value below, but I doubt that it is very relevant
because the +/- marker is also wrong when the face is wrong.

/----
\----

--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: Gnus lies about downloaded state
@ 2003-01-23 10:30                   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-23 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Danny Siu <dsiu@adobe.com> writes:

> I still see the problem even with your patch which is already in CVS.  Kai,
> do you still experience the problem with the patch?

I'm running a version which has this entry first in lisp/ChangeLog:

2003-01-22  Teodor Zlatanov  <tzz@lifelogs.com>

	* gnus-sum.el (gnus-spam-mark): set to `$'

Just after that comes a change by Kevin -- is that the patch you're
talking about?

Anyhow, I still see the behavior I described on Saturday: if there
are new messages in a group, old but M-u'd articles show up as if
undownloaded (but I can look at them while unplugged, so they're
obviously downloaded), and after reading all the new articles, the
old M-u'd articles show up as downloaded again.
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: Gnus lies about downloaded state
@ 2003-01-23  4:10                   ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-01-23  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-01-22 19:38                 ` Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 2003-01-22 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-01-19 16:42               ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-01-19 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> I'm afraid I kinda lost track about the situation now.  I still see
> problems with the indication of the downloaded state, but I have more
> data.  In this group, I have some ticked (and thus, cached) articles,
> and there are some old articles that I have marked as unread with
> M-u.  And finally, there are unseen articles (marked with ".").  They
> are marked as downloaded because I did `J s' after `g'.
>
> In this case, the M-u'd articles are marked as not downloaded.
> Now I read the new message and then hit M-g in the group.
> Then the M-u'd messages are correctly marked as downloaded: I see
> the + for %O and the color is the default color.
>
> I get the feeling that this is not about corruption of the state that
> the agent keeps.  Instead, it seems that the summary buffer display
> interprets the data wrongly.  But it is somewhat strange that the
> presence of "." (unseen?) articles has effect on that interpretation.
>
> FWIW, ticked (and thus, cached) articles are also always shown in the
> "undownloaded" face and with %O=-.

OK, have you applied my patch to gnus-sum?  That patch will not fix
the face being displayed.  However, it WILL fix a major problem with
updating the downloaded mark.  I'm reluctant to check-in this patch
because it is in such a basic function.  My concern is that other

@ 2003-01-18 13:49             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-18 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-01-17  3:35                       ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-01-17  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Danny Siu <dsiu@adobe.com> writes:

> Kevin Greiner writes:
>
>   Kevin> Your screen shot shows that articles 17663 though 17718 have a (-)
>   Kevin> undownloaded flag AND are highlighted with the
>   Kevin> gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face.  Your format places the
>   Kevin> download mark (+/-) AFTER the article number (the (+) before the
>   Kevin> number is its score).
>
>   Kevin> Please verify that these articles have been fetched into the agent
>   Kevin> by excuting
>
>   Kevin> M-: (assq 17663 gnus-agent-article-alist)
>
> (17663 . 731230)
>
>   Kevin> If it returns (17663), everything is working fine.  If it returns
>   Kevin> (17663 . #) then I can't explain this.
>
> Well, I look into the .agentview file and found that 17663 lies (btw 17354 .
> 17720) in the list which starts with 731230
>
> ( (731231 17721 . 17748)
>   (nil 15 (39 . 90) (94 . 108) ...)
>   (731230 (6 . 14) .... (17354 . 17720)) )
>
> i don't know enough the rev 2 of .agentview format to understant what this
> means.  also, the file 17663 is in the agent dir.
>
> does the .agentview seem ok?

Absolutely.

That first number is the day on which the article was fetched.  The
remaining is a compressed sequence of article numbers sharing the same
day.

Kevin

* Re: Gnus lies about downloaded state
@ 2003-01-16 23:08                     ` Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 2003-01-16 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner writes:

  Kevin> Your screen shot shows that articles 17663 though 17718 have a (-)
  Kevin> undownloaded flag AND are highlighted with the
  Kevin> gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face.  Your format places the
  Kevin> download mark (+/-) AFTER the article number (the (+) before the
  Kevin> number is its score).

  Kevin> Please verify that these articles have been fetched into the agent
  Kevin> by excuting

  Kevin> M-: (assq 17663 gnus-agent-article-alist)

(17663 . 731230)

  Kevin> If it returns (17663), everything is working fine.  If it returns
  Kevin> (17663 . #) then I can't explain this.

Well, I look into the .agentview file and found that 17663 lies (btw 17354 .
17720) in the list which starts with 731230

( (731231 17721 . 17748)
  (nil 15 (39 . 90) (94 . 108) ...)
  (731230 (6 . 14) .... (17354 . 17720)) )

i don't know enough the rev 2 of .agentview format to understant what this
means.  also, the file 17663 is in the agent dir.

does the .agentview seem ok?

  Kevin> As for debugging, I'd debug in gnus-summary-insert-line.

  Kevin> You should be able to trace though it's setting gnus-tmp-downloaded
  Kevin> to either 32 (no-mark), 43 (undownloaded), or 45 (downloaded).

  Kevin> I do have a patch for gnus-sum.  You should be able to use
  Kevin> gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article after installing it.

Thanks!
--
Danny Siu

* Re: Gnus lies about downloaded state
@ 2003-01-16 22:31                   ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-01-16 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Danny Siu <dsiu@adobe.com> writes:

> I have removed gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article from
> gnus-select-article-hook but the summary still highlights incorrectly the
> downloaded ones with gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face in few of my
> nnimap groups.  I tried removing the agent cache and gnus-agent-regenerate
> but that didn't help.
>
> Attached screen shot.  here is my gnus-summary-line-format.
>
> (setq gnus-summary-line-format "%U%R%z%5N%O %(%8&user-date; %~(pad 2)~(max
> 2)~(ignore \"1\")t%[%5k:%* %-20,20n%] %B%s%)\n")
>
> where should i start debugging this problem?

Your screen shot shows that articles 17663 though 17718 have a (-)
undownloaded flag AND are highlighted with the
gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face.  Your format places the
download mark (+/-) AFTER the article number (the (+) before the
number is its score).

Please verify that these articles have been fetched into the agent by
excuting

M-: (assq 17663 gnus-agent-article-alist)

If it returns (17663), everything is working fine.  If it returns
(17663 . #) then I can't explain this.

As for debugging, I'd debug in gnus-summary-insert-line.

You should be able to trace though it's setting gnus-tmp-downloaded to
either 32 (no-mark), 43 (undownloaded), or 45 (downloaded).

I do have a patch for gnus-sum.  You should be able to use
gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article after installing it.

[-- Attachment #2: Patch to fix line position calculation. --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 3597 bytes --]

--- ../lisp.cvs_ref/gnus-sum.el	Mon Jan 13 23:06:13 2003
+++ gnus-sum.el	Thu Jan 16 16:11:41 2003
@@ -4022,40 +4022,41 @@
     (gnus-summary-goto-subject article)
     (let* ((datal (gnus-data-find-list article))
 	   (data (car datal))
-	   (length (when (cdr datal)
-		     (- (gnus-data-pos data)
-			(gnus-data-pos (cadr datal)))))
 	   (buffer-read-only nil)
 	   (level (gnus-summary-thread-level)))
       (gnus-delete-line)
-      (gnus-summary-insert-line
-       header level nil
-       (memq article gnus-newsgroup-undownloaded)
-       (gnus-article-mark article)
-       (memq article gnus-newsgroup-replied)
-       (memq article gnus-newsgroup-expirable)
-       ;; Only insert the Subject string when it's different
-       ;; from the previous Subject string.
-       (if (and
-	    gnus-show-threads
-	    (gnus-subject-equal
-	     (condition-case ()
-		 (mail-header-subject
-		  (gnus-data-header
-		   (cadr
-		    (gnus-data-find-list
-		     article
-		     (gnus-data-list t)))))
-	       ;; Error on the side of excessive subjects.
-	       (error ""))
-	     (mail-header-subject header)))
-	   ""
-	 (mail-header-subject header))
-       nil (cdr (assq article gnus-newsgroup-scored))
-       (memq article gnus-newsgroup-processable))
-      (when length
-	(gnus-data-update-list
-	 (cdr datal) (- length (- (gnus-data-pos data) (point))))))))
+      (let ((inserted (- (point)
+                         (progn
[...]
+                                ""
+                              (mail-header-subject header))
+                            nil (cdr (assq article gnus-newsgroup-scored))
+                            (memq article gnus-newsgroup-processable))
+                           (point)))))
+        (when (cdr datal)
+          (gnus-data-update-list
+           (cdr datal)
+           (- (gnus-data-pos data) (gnus-data-pos (cadr datal)) inserted)))))))

 (defun gnus-summary-update-article (article &optional iheader)
   "Update ARTICLE in the summary buffer."
@@ -6776,7 +6777,7 @@
       (gnus-summary-goto-subject article t)))
   (gnus-summary-limit (append articles gnus-newsgroup-limit))
   (gnus-summary-position-point))
-
+
 (defun gnus-summary-goto-subject (article &optional force silent)
   "Go the subject line of ARTICLE.
 If FORCE, also allow jumping to articles not currently shown."

Kevin

* Re: Gnus lies about downloaded state
@ 2003-01-16 20:53                 ` Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 2003-01-16 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner writes:

  Kevin> Let's go with that assumption for now.  Try removing
  Kevin> gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article from the hook then see if you run
  Kevin> into any problems.  You can use either 'J s' to fetch by process
  Kevin> mark or 'J S' to fetch by downloadable mark.

I have removed gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article from
gnus-select-article-hook but the summary still highlights incorrectly the
downloaded ones with gnus-summary-normal-undownloaded-face in few of my
nnimap groups.  I tried removing the agent cache and gnus-agent-regenerate
but that didn't help.

Attached screen shot.  here is my gnus-summary-line-format.

(setq gnus-summary-line-format "%U%R%z%5N%O %(%8&user-date; %~(pad 2)~(max
2)~(ignore \"1\")t%[%5k:%* %-20,20n%] %B%s%)\n")

where should i start debugging this problem?
--
Danny Siu

[-- Attachment #2: undownload.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 81199 bytes --]

* Re: Gnus lies about downloaded state
@ 2003-01-16 13:02               ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-01-16 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-01-16  7:52             ` Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 2003-01-16  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin,

I have installed your patch and it correctly signaled ("Format Spec doesn't
match argument type") when the summary buffer lies about the downloaded
state.  So is gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article the curpit?

I am using the latest CVS as of "01/15/2002 11:49pm -0800"

--
Danny Siu

* Re: Gnus lies about downloaded state
@ 2003-01-16  4:29           ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-01-16  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:
>
>> 1) Open one of the problem groups.
>
> nntp+quimby:gnus.ding
>
>> 2) Identify the article number of an article that is marked as
>>    undownloaded yet is stored in the agent.
>
> 45110
>
>> 3) Do this: m-: (memq <art-num> gnus-newsgroup-undownloaded)
>>    Do you get nil or a list?
>
> (memq 45110 gnus-newsgroup-undownloaded)
> => (45110)
>
>> 4) Now do c-h v gnus-agent-article-alist.
>> 5) Find <art-num> in the display.
>> 6) Is <art-num> in a cons that looks like (<art-num>) or (<art-num> . #)?
>
> (assoc 45110 gnus-agent-article-alist)
> => (45110 . 731230)
>
> So the character is wrong even though the data is right.  That goes
> well with my experience: these articles behave as if downloaded, even
> though %O says they're not.
>
> FWIW, the message 45110 is the grandparent of your posting that I'm
> replying to (ie, it's the great-grandparent of this message I'm
> typing).  I've read that message before, it was marked R or O in the
> summary buffer.

Kai,
You're going to be particularly interested in this one.  I just
proved, to my own satisfaction as least, that the
gnus-summary-update-article-line call in
gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article is corrupting the summary headers
that are used to layout the summary.

I've attached a patch to introduce my diagnostic code.  You'll
probably have to customize it (there is a constant one in the code
that should be a parameter) to say that all is OK when the summary
first opens.  I've bound the test to 'z' so it is simple to execute.

I also call the test code from gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article.

On my installation, the first call to gnus-summary-update-article-line
in gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article shifted the pos of each following
article by one character.  If each subsequent call has a similar
effect, ...

Kevin

[-- Attachment #2: A patch to debug gnus-sum and gnus-agent. --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2979 bytes --]

--- ../lisp.cvs_ref/gnus-agent.el	Wed Jan 15 21:41:57 2003
+++ gnus-agent.el	Wed Jan 15 22:18:17 2003
@@ -847,16 +847,19 @@
   "Fetch the current article as it is selected.
 This can be added to `gnus-select-article-hook' or
 `gnus-mark-article-hook'."
+  (kjg-gnus-summary-test "entering gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article")
   (let ((gnus-command-method gnus-current-select-method))
     (when (and gnus-plugged (gnus-agent-method-p gnus-command-method))
       (when (gnus-agent-fetch-articles
              gnus-newsgroup-name
 	     (list gnus-current-article))
+        (kjg-gnus-summary-test "gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article (after fetch)")
 	(setq gnus-newsgroup-undownloaded
 	      (delq gnus-current-article gnus-newsgroup-undownloaded))
 	(gnus-summary-update-article-line
 	 gnus-current-article
-	 (gnus-summary-article-header gnus-current-article))))))
+	 (gnus-summary-article-header gnus-current-article))
+        (kjg-gnus-summary-test "gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article (after update)")))))

 ;;;
 ;;; Internal functions
@@ -2091,7 +2094,6 @@
                                         day
                                       (let (found
                                             (days gnus-agent-expire-days))
-                                        (debug)
                                         (catch 'found
                                           (while (and (not found)
                                                       days)
*** ../lisp.cvs_ref/gnus-sum.el	Mon Jan 13 23:06:13 2003
--- gnus-sum.el	Wed Jan 15 22:21:49 2003
***************
*** 1526,1531 ****
--- 1526,1532 ----
  ;; Non-orthogonal keys

  (gnus-define-keys gnus-summary-mode-map
+   "z" kjg-gnus-summary-test
    " " gnus-summary-next-page
    "\177" gnus-summary-prev-page
    [delete] gnus-summary-prev-page
***************
*** 6776,6781 ****
--- 6777,6804 ----
        (gnus-summary-goto-subject article t)))
    (gnus-summary-limit (append articles gnus-newsgroup-limit))
    (gnus-summary-position-point))
+
+ (defun kjg-gnus-summary-test (&optional prefix)
+   (interactive)
+   (let ((bug nil))
+     (save-excursion
+       (goto-char (point-min))
+       (let ((b (get-buffer "*scratch*")))
+         (while (looking-at ".....\\([0-9]+\\)")
+           (let* ((art (string-to-int (match-string 1)))
+                  (data (gnus-data-find art))
+                  (pt (gnus-data-pos data))
+                  (pnt (1+ (point))))
+             (unless (eq pt pnt)
+               (let ((msg (format "Art#: %d pt: %d point: %d" art pt pnt)))
+                 (when (and prefix (not bug))
+                   (princ prefix b)
+                   (princ "\n" b))
+                 (setq bug t)
+                 (princ msg b)
+                 (princ "\n" b)))
+             (forward-line 1)))))
+     (gnus-message 1 (if bug "Problem" "All OK"))))

@ 2003-01-15 21:07           ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-01-15 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-01-15 18:27         ` Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 2003-01-15 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner writes:

  Kevin> 1) Open one of the problem groups.

  Kevin> 2) Identify the article number of an article that is marked as
  Kevin>    undownloaded yet is stored in the agent.

  Kevin> 3) Do this: m-: (memq <art-num> gnus-newsgroup-undownloaded)
  Kevin>    Do you get nil or a list?

a list.

  Kevin> 4) Now do c-h v gnus-agent-article-alist.

  Kevin> 5) Find <art-num> in the display.

  Kevin> 6) Is <art-num> in a cons that looks like (<art-num>) or (<art-num>
  Kevin>    . #)?

the latter. (17582 . 731230)

--
Danny Siu

* Re: Gnus lies about downloaded state
@ 2003-01-15 16:07         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-15 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-01-15 15:12       ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-01-15 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> I think I've noticed that selecting an article, then M-u on it,
> causes that article to be displayed with %O = "-" when selecting the
> group later on.
>
> Note: I have gnus-use-cache = t, and ticked (and thus, cached)
> articles appear with %O = "-", as well.
>
> Does this help?

Actually, I'm a little confused.  Let's see if we can isolate this
problem a little.

@ 2003-01-15 14:16     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-15 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-01-15  8:56     ` Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 2003-01-15  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

More info: the problem doesn't occur in all the groups; i only have 2 or 3
groups that i found the download state inconsistent.  those group tends to
have large number of unread articles but i can't find a pattern of which the
problem would exhibit.

Also, I have tried gnus-agent-regenerate and then 'J s' but still doesn't
help.  Furthermore, I removed the agent directory for the group all together
and did 'J s'.  No luck either.

I start to think whether it is the agent problem OR the summary
hightlighting bug?

--
Danny Siu

* Re: Gnus lies about downloaded state
@ 2003-01-15  7:16   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-15  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, I just opened a group which had a new, fresh, unread, article
that was marked "-" (and also in a greenish color).
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: Gnus lies about downloaded state
@ 2003-01-15  7:12   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-15  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Now I checked again: I'm sitting in the train at the moment, and Gnus
was started in the train.  So there was no way for me to fetch
anything into the agent.

Yet, some messages are marked - and are downloaded.  (They're not
cached.)  I this group I only see old (O) articles that are like
this, I'd have to check whether I can find new ones that are marked
wrongly.
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: Gnus lies about downloaded state
@ 2003-01-15  7:11   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-15  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com writes:

> The 'J S' command in the summary buffer was not refreshing the buffer.
> You can only execute 'J S' when plugged so I'm not sure if it has any
> bearing on your problem.

I'm almost sure I used `J s' from the group buffer.  But I'm not 100%
sure, so I'll check again.

--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: Gnus lies about downloaded state
@ 2003-01-15  6:08   ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-01-15  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2003-01-14 22:19 ` Danny Siu
From: Danny Siu @ 2003-01-14 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann writes:

  Kai> Look at this screenshot.  The "-" in the leftmost column means the
  Kai> article isn't downloaded, but Gnus is unplugged, and I can see the
  Kai> message!

  Kai> What's the story?

  Kai> I think this happened only recently.  -- Ambibibentists unite!

--
Danny Siu

[-- Attachment #2: undownload.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 85409 bytes --]

* Re: Gnus lies about downloaded state
@ 2003-01-14 21:42 ` kgreiner
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: kgreiner @ 2003-01-14 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)