* Re: Incoming695xtd and other such files
       [not found] <m2g0gka2dd.fsf@snail.nowhere.ch>
@ 2001-03-11 15:14 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-03-11 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

You can delete the files, they are temp files.  Karl has told you how
to tell Gnus to not create them.

kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.

* Re: Incoming695xtd and other such files
@ 2001-03-11 18:00   ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2001-03-11 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> (setq mail-source-delete-incoming t)
> Some releases of Gnus have inadvertently had this set to nil.

> You can delete the files, they are temp files.

I don't really want to delete temp files if I'm not sure that I will
never ever need them...  :)  Therefore, I'll delete them manually but
without setting the variable, I think.  If they are temp files, Gnus
should delete them, though.  Under which circumstances will they
remain -- when I stop Gnus from doing its black magic using C-g?

Alex.
--
http://www.geocities.com/kensanata/emacs.html
"Get eshell or ansi-color.el for garbage GCC or ls output."

* Re: Incoming695xtd and other such files
@ 2001-03-11 18:21     ` Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 2001-03-11 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Alex Schroeder <alex@gnu.org> writes:

Hi!

>> You can delete the files, they are temp files.
>
> I don't really want to delete temp files if I'm not sure that I will
> never ever need them...  :)  Therefore, I'll delete them manually but
> without setting the variable, I think.  If they are temp files, Gnus
> should delete them, though.  Under which circumstances will they
> remain -- when I stop Gnus from doing its black magic using C-g?

Maybe, the expression 'temp' gives you the wrong impression. You could
also say, they are backups of all incoming mail.

Once upon a time there was a Gnus version fallen out of CVS which ate
all my incoming mail for breakfast instead of displaying it. I was
pretty lucky to have those Incoming files. Thus, I was able to refead
the mail after the bug has been fixed.

norbert.

* Re: Incoming695xtd and other such files
@ 2001-03-11 19:10     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-03-11 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 11 Mar 2001, Alex Schroeder wrote:

> I don't really want to delete temp files if I'm not sure that I will
> never ever need them...  :) Therefore, I'll delete them manually but
> without setting the variable, I think.  If they are temp files, Gnus
> should delete them, though.  Under which circumstances will they
> remain -- when I stop Gnus from doing its black magic using C-g?

The variable is only meant as a safety measure for those running
development versions.  The variable should be t in all released
versions.  Your release, however, has a bug: the variable is nil.

Gnus remains the temp files itself when the variable is t...

kai
--

@ 2001-03-11 21:31       ` Samuel Padgett
From: Samuel Padgett @ 2001-03-11 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The variable is only meant as a safety measure for those running
> development versions.  The variable should be t in all released
> versions.  Your release, however, has a bug: the variable is nil.

Actually, I believe he's running Oort Gnus, in which case the variable
should be nil.  Perhaps it's best not to change it when running a
development version?

Sam
--
Room service?  Send up a larger room.
                -- Groucho Marx

* Re: Incoming695xtd and other such files
@ 2001-03-12 20:30         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-03-12 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 11 Mar 2001, Samuel Padgett wrote:

> Actually, I believe he's running Oort Gnus, in which case the
> variable should be nil.  Perhaps it's best not to change it when
> running a development version?

00ps.  Of course.  Silly me.

Safety nets are a Good Thing for users of development versions.
Beware of Oorts eating your mail for lunch :-)

(Not that this ever happened to me.)

kai
--

@ 2001-03-11 13:49 ` Karl Kleinpaste