* Wandering cursor in summary buffer.
@ 2002-08-13 17:17 Scott A Crosby
From: Scott A Crosby @ 2002-08-13 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I noticed an annoying property of GNUS in the summary buffer..

When I do a 'd' to mark a message as read and the curser goes to the
next line, it gets repositioned after the first ':' in the subject
line (first character in the line if there's no ':' in the
subject)

As my subject lines are sometimes too long that they get truncated off
the edge of the screen (summary buffer is made with 'wrap-long-lines'
set to null), so this causes the whole window to scroll to the right,
which is disconcerting.

Is there any way I can disable this behavior, so that if I do a 'd',
it goes down one line and stays in the same column?

Thanks.

Scott

* Re: Wandering cursor in summary buffer.
@ 2002-08-18 19:20 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-08-18 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Scott A Crosby <scrosby@cs.rice.edu> writes:

> I noticed an annoying property of GNUS in the summary buffer..
>
> When I do a 'd' to mark a message as read and the curser goes to the
> next line, it gets repositioned after the first ':' in the subject
> line (first character in the line if there's no ':' in the
> subject)

Gnus expects that you have a colon somewhere else in your summary
lines.  But Gnus wasn't Gnus, if it wasn't configurable: just
redefine the function gnus-goto-colon.  For example:

(defun gnus-goto-colon ()
  (beginning-of-line)
  (forward-char 3))

kai

* Re: Wandering cursor in summary buffer.
@ 2002-08-21 21:00   ` Raymond Scholz
From: Raymond Scholz @ 2002-08-21 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

· Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

> Gnus expects that you have a colon somewhere else in your summary
> lines.  But Gnus wasn't Gnus, if it wasn't configurable: just
> redefine the function gnus-goto-colon.  For example:
> (defun gnus-goto-colon ()
>   (beginning-of-line)
>   (forward-char 3))

Gnus wasn't Gnus if there wasn't a second solution of this problem.

Set %C in your `gnus-summary-line-format'.  See
info://Gnus/Positioning+Point

Cheers, Ray
--
I have a local archive newsserver with groups with more than 50k messages in
it. When I try to enter those groups with Gnus I can have a cigarette before

* Re: Wandering cursor in summary buffer.
@ 2002-08-22 16:07     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-08-22 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Raymond Scholz <ray-2002@zonix.de> writes:

> Gnus wasn't Gnus if there wasn't a second solution of this problem.
>
> Set %C in your `gnus-summary-line-format'.  See
> info://Gnus/Positioning+Point

This is of course the right solition.  Thanks, Ray, for pointing this out.

kai