* Using several encodings in mails sent
@ 2002-01-02 13:00 Olivier Berger
From: Olivier Berger @ 2002-01-02 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

I'm using Gnus + GNU/Emacs in a fr_FR@euro (ISO-8859-15) locale
environment.

Whenever I send mails using certain french accuentuated characters,
Gnus complaints about sending mail using several charsets (a message
part needs to be split into 3 charsets parts. really send ?), 3 times
in a row.

I suspect that the mail is originaly encoded in ISO-8859-1 and that my
locale forces a mix with ISO-8859-15...

Is there any way to prevent this behaviour (correcting the problem so
that I'm using ISO-8859-1 (I don't often need to use the euro
character in mails ;) or preventing emacs/gnus to ask for
confirmation) ?

Thanks in advance.

--
Olivier BERGER - Secrétaire de l'association APRIL
APRIL (http://www.april.org) - Vive python (http://www.python.org)

* Re: Using several encodings in mails sent
@ 2002-01-02 14:31 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-01-02 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Olivier Berger <olberger@club-internet.fr> writes:

> I'm using Gnus + GNU/Emacs in a fr_FR@euro (ISO-8859-15) locale
> environment.
>
> Whenever I send mails using certain french accuentuated characters,
> Gnus complaints about sending mail using several charsets (a message
> part needs to be split into 3 charsets parts. really send ?), 3 times
> in a row.
>
> I suspect that the mail is originaly encoded in ISO-8859-1 and that my
> locale forces a mix with ISO-8859-15...
>
> Is there any way to prevent this behaviour (correcting the problem so
> that I'm using ISO-8859-1 (I don't often need to use the euro
> character in mails ;) or preventing emacs/gnus to ask for
> confirmation) ?

A feature in oGnus v0.04 converts a mix of iso-8859-1 and -15 to
iso-8859-15 if possible.

ShengHuo

* Re: Using several encodings in mails sent
@ 2002-01-02 16:32   ` Olivier Berger
From: Olivier Berger @ 2002-01-02 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Olivier Berger <olberger@club-internet.fr> writes:
>
> > I'm using Gnus + GNU/Emacs in a fr_FR@euro (ISO-8859-15) locale
> > environment.
> >
> > Whenever I send mails using certain french accuentuated characters,
> > Gnus complaints about sending mail using several charsets (a message
> > part needs to be split into 3 charsets parts. really send ?), 3 times
> > in a row.
> >
> > I suspect that the mail is originaly encoded in ISO-8859-1 and that my
> > locale forces a mix with ISO-8859-15...
> >
> > Is there any way to prevent this behaviour (correcting the problem so
> > that I'm using ISO-8859-1 (I don't often need to use the euro
> > character in mails ;) or preventing emacs/gnus to ask for
> > confirmation) ?
>
> A feature in oGnus v0.04 converts a mix of iso-8859-1 and -15 to
> iso-8859-15 if possible.

Would there be any chance to get such a feature somehow for Gnus
v5.9.0 ?

Thanks in advance.

--

@ 2002-01-02 20:17     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-01-02 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Olivier Berger <olberger@club-internet.fr> writes:

> ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

[...]

>> A feature in oGnus v0.04 converts a mix of iso-8859-1 and -15 to
>> iso-8859-15 if possible.
>>

> Would there be any chance to get such a feature somehow for Gnus
> v5.9.0 ?

Let me check the Emacs CVS.... Found it. I've ported it to Emacs 21,
i.e. it will be included in the next release of Emacs.

ShengHuo

* Re: Using several encodings in mails sent
@ 2002-01-03 11:41 ` Olivier Berger
From: Olivier Berger @ 2002-01-03 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Olivier Berger <olberger@club-internet.fr> writes:

> Hi.
>
> I'm using Gnus + GNU/Emacs in a fr_FR@euro (ISO-8859-15) locale
> environment.
>
> Whenever I send mails using certain french accuentuated characters,
> Gnus complaints about sending mail using several charsets (a message
> part needs to be split into 3 charsets parts. really send ?), 3 times
> in a row.
>
> I suspect that the mail is originaly encoded in ISO-8859-1 and that my
> locale forces a mix with ISO-8859-15...
>
> Is there any way to prevent this behaviour (correcting the problem so
> that I'm using ISO-8859-1 (I don't often need to use the euro
> character in mails ;) or preventing emacs/gnus to ask for
> confirmation) ?

I've had a look at the mml.el file and discovered that the
mml-confirmation-set variable just seems to be controling this need
for user confirmation in case of multipart sending.

I'd like to set it so that it won't ask anymore, but being a total
newbe in emacs-lisp, I don't know the syntax which would let me change
its value.

Excerpt from the doc (C-h v mml-confirmation-set) :

Documentation:
A list of symbols, each of which disables some warning.
`unknown-encoding': always send messages contain characters with
unknown encoding; `use-ascii': always use ASCII for those characters
with unknown encoding; `multipart': always send messages with more than
one charsets.

Defined in `mml'.

Anybody to suggest something to add to my .gnus.el ?

Thanks in advance.
--

@ 2002-01-03 19:41   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-01-03 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Olivier Berger <olberger@club-internet.fr> writes:

> I'd like to set it so that it won't ask anymore, but being a total
> newbe in emacs-lisp, I don't know the syntax which would let me change
> its value.

M-x customize-variable RET is probably your friend.

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)

* Re: Using several encodings in mails sent
@ 2002-01-05 11:48     ` Olivier Berger
From: Olivier Berger @ 2002-01-05 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Olivier Berger <olberger@club-internet.fr> writes:
>
> > I'd like to set it so that it won't ask anymore, but being a total
> > newbe in emacs-lisp, I don't know the syntax which would let me change
> > its value.
>
> M-x customize-variable RET is probably your friend.

Nope.

It's not customizable (which is sad ;)

That's why I'm stuck with my emacs-lisp problem ;)

Thanks anyway.
--
Olivier BERGER (OpenPGP: 1024D/B4C5F37F)

@ 2002-01-05 12:32       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-01-05 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Olivier Berger <olberger@club-internet.fr> writes:

> Nope.
>
> It's not customizable (which is sad ;)
>
> That's why I'm stuck with my emacs-lisp problem ;)

Oh, sorry.  Hm.

(setq mml-confirmation-set '(unknown-encoding use-ascii multipart))

Delete symbols from this list as appropriate.  Don't delete the "'"
character.

kai
--

@ 2002-01-07 10:04         ` Olivier Berger
From: Olivier Berger @ 2002-01-07 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Olivier Berger <olberger@club-internet.fr> writes:
>
> > Nope.
> >
> > It's not customizable (which is sad ;)
> >
> > That's why I'm stuck with my emacs-lisp problem ;)
>
> Oh, sorry.  Hm.
>
> (setq mml-confirmation-set '(unknown-encoding use-ascii multipart))
>
> Delete symbols from this list as appropriate.  Don't delete the "'"
> character.

Thanks. It works as expected.

I had tried
(setq mml-confirmation-set '('multipart))

But that obviously was wrong...

Some day, I'll learn emacs lisp ;)

Best regards.
--

@ 2002-01-07 11:05           ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-01-07 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Olivier Berger <olberger@club-internet.fr> writes:

> I had tried
> (setq mml-confirmation-set '('multipart))

The second "'" character is too much.

kai
--
Simplification good!  Oversimplification bad!  (Larry Wall)