* searching news groups
@ 1997-08-01 13:56 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1997-08-01 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

One thing I find myself doing a lot, is going to Deja News, setting a
search filter, limiting the search to one particular news group (and
maybe an author), and then searching for a particular keyword or
keywords (e.g. searching for problems with -l44bsd on
comp.mail.sendmail today).

And I found myself thinking how nice it would have been to do this
from within a Gnus news group.  The actual articles could be retrieved
from the news server, if they were still available, or the search
mechanism could attempt to "fake" the articles, from the HTML versions
on Deja News or Alta Vista or whereever.

I'm not sure how the user interface to this functionality should be,
but I guess it should be possible to implement similar functionality
for mail groups, using glimpse or some other indexing tool.

Just some idle thoughts on a Friday...

Have a nice weekend!

- Steinar