* Compose a followup into current group?
@ 2001-11-02  7:59 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-11-02  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do I compose a followup into the current group?  We have a mail
alias which gets dropped into a shared IMAP folder; I often want to
compose a followup directly into the shared IMAP folder (without
sending to the mail alias).

If the original message contains a Newsgroups header, `S N' does the
trick, but if the original message does not contain that header, `S
N' produces a message with an empty Newsgroups header.

kai
--
Lisp is kinda like tpircstsoP

* Re: Compose a followup into current group?
@ 2001-11-02 17:59 ` Amos Gouaux
From: Amos Gouaux @ 2001-11-02 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

kg> How do I compose a followup into the current group?  We have a mail
kg> alias which gets dropped into a shared IMAP folder; I often want to
kg> compose a followup directly into the shared IMAP folder (without
kg> sending to the mail alias).

In PINE I can specify a folder on the FCC line and leave the other
headers blank.  When I go to send the message, PINE asks:

 No recipients, really copy only to Fcc ?

If I respond with Y(es), I get back:

 [Message ONLY copied to "some-folder-here".]

Perhaps message mode could do something similar, but in this case
pay attention to the GCC field?

--
Amos

* Re: Compose a followup into current group?
@ 2001-11-02 22:36   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-11-02 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Amos Gouaux <amos+lists.ding@utdallas.edu> writes:

> Perhaps message mode could do something similar, but in this case
> pay attention to the GCC field?

It already works to enter the group name into the Newsgroups header.

If I do `S N' on an article which has a Newsgroups header, then I get
a followup with the Newsgroups header pre-filled to the right value.

If I do `S N' on an article which does not have a Newsgroups header,
then I get a followup with an empty Newsgroups header.

How to get the Newsgroups header pre-filled even in the latter case?

It's okay for me to hit another key combo, of course.

kai
--

@ 2001-11-02 22:51     ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2001-11-02 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) wrote:
> Amos Gouaux <amos+lists.ding@utdallas.edu> writes:
>> Perhaps message mode could do something similar, but in this case
>> pay attention to the GCC field?
>
> It already works to enter the group name into the Newsgroups header.

Assuming the backend implements -request-post.

> If I do `S N' on an article which has a Newsgroups header, then I get
> a followup with the Newsgroups header pre-filled to the right value.
>
> If I do `S N' on an article which does not have a Newsgroups header,
> then I get a followup with an empty Newsgroups header.
>
> How to get the Newsgroups header pre-filled even in the latter case?

Bind this to your key of choice (untested):
(defun followup-to-this-group (&optional arg)
  (interactive "P")
  (let ((gnus-posting-styles (cons `(t ("Newsgroups" ,gnus-newsgroup-name))
                             gnus-posting-styles)))
    (gnus-summary-followup-to-mail-with-original arg)))

paul

* Re: Compose a followup into current group?
@ 2001-11-03 16:34       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-11-03 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Bind this to your key of choice (untested):
> (defun followup-to-this-group (&optional arg)
>   (interactive "P")
>   (let ((gnus-posting-styles (cons `(t ("Newsgroups" ,gnus-newsgroup-name))
>                              gnus-posting-styles)))
>     (gnus-summary-followup-to-mail-with-original arg)))

Cool.  Thanks.

kai
--
Lisp is kinda like tpircstsoP