* nnimap subfolder problem
@ 2001-10-16 11:13 Nicolas KOWALSKI
From: Nicolas KOWALSKI @ 2001-10-16 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

At work, I use the nnimap backend, which "talks" to an UW-imapd
server. My folders are stored using subfolders, like the following:

  [ Misc -- 0 ]
        0: INBOX
        0: mail/drafts
        0: mail/sent
        0: mail/templates
  [ Personal -- 0 ]
        0: perso/famille
        0: perso/misc
  [ VERIMAG -- 0 ]
        0: verimag/hardware

My problem is : when I try to rename (G r) the group "perso/famille"
to something like "perso/famille/misc", Gnus tells me the group has an
invalid name...I suspect Gnus to not tolerate '/' characters in group
names, but that is what I need in my case.

Any idea(s) ?

Thanks in advance,
Nicolas.

PS : I tried to rename "perso/famille" to "perso.famille", this works;
     but then I can not rename it to use subfolders
     ("perso/famille/misc").

PS 2: when I use nnml or nnfolder backends, Gnus stores groups using
subdirectories for group names like "foo.bar.geez" (gives
foo/bar/geez). Is it possible to use the same functionnality for
nnimap backend ?

* Re: nnimap subfolder problem
@ 2001-12-04 23:48 Kevin Hilman
From: Kevin Hilman @ 2001-12-04 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I followed the this thread via the web archives, and had some
follow-up comments/questions.

I'm just trying to switch Gnus to use Lotus Domino as an IMAP server
(please no flames about Domino, I don't have a choice here.)
Currently I'm happily using Gnus as an IMAP client to a Courier IMAP
server.

Turns out Domino uses a '\' character as it's hierarchy separator
(different from '/' or '.' used by other servers I've seen.)

If I tell Gnus to create folders with the '\' character it works fine,
however as new folders are created, I don't see them when i do a 'B'
(gnus-group-browse-foreign-server).  I can see them in the folder
listing of other clients (like Mozilla) though.  If I do a 'j'
(gnus-group-jump-to-group) and type the full group name (for example
nnimap+mailserver:foo\bar) I can get to it just fine.

So, I have a couple of questions

1) How can the browse-foreign server pick up these folders and
   subfolders?

2) Is there a way Gnus can be smarter about creating subfolders based
   on some existing hierarchy information?

Thanks

--
Kevin Hilman