* Using the mouse and context menu to reply (bug?)
@ 2000-01-04 16:57 Dmitry Yaitskov
From: Dmitry Yaitskov @ 2000-01-04 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

In the summary buffer, if I move the mouse over an article it is
highlighted. Right-clicking brings up the context menu. Choosing
post/reply from that menu replies to the article which is current in
the summary buffer - *not* to the one which is highlighted by the
mouse and over which the right click was done. Also, I tried a few
more article-related items from the context menu and they all seem to
work either on the current or on the last article in the summary -
none on the highlighted article which IMHO is the correct behavior. Is
it a bug or a feature?

Using XEmacs 21.2 (beta26) "Millenium" [Lucid] (i686-pc-cygwin32),
Gnus v5.8.2.

--
Cheers,
-Dima.

* Re: Using the mouse and context menu to reply (bug?)
@ 2000-01-04 17:02 ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 2000-01-04 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dmitry Yaitskov <dimas@home.com> writes:

> In the summary buffer, if I move the mouse over an article it is
> highlighted. Right-clicking brings up the context menu.

No, it doesn't.  Few button3 menus in Gnus are really
context-sensitive.  They are merely a copy of the Gnus-specific part
of the menubar, operating on the article under the point.

This is horrible UI, but most people don't really care because Emacs
people don't use the mouse all that much.  However, Lars has been
known to accept patches that improve the mouse UI, so fixing it is not
out of the question.

(I've added the MIME buttons menus, which really are
context-sensitive.)

* Re: Using the mouse and context menu to reply (bug?)
@ 2000-01-04 18:19   ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 2000-01-04 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@iskon.hr> writes:

> No, it doesn't.  Few button3 menus in Gnus are really
> context-sensitive.  They are merely a copy of the Gnus-specific part
> of the menubar, operating on the article under the point.

Also, it's an XEmacs thing.  RMB menus in Emacs really are context,
because otherwise, you don't get a menu, you set a region.

Black clothes: Idea tool for removing cat hair from furn.

* Re: Using the mouse and context menu to reply (bug?)
@ 2000-01-04 18:38     ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 2000-01-04 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:

> Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@iskon.hr> writes:
>
> > No, it doesn't.  Few button3 menus in Gnus are really
> > context-sensitive.  They are merely a copy of the Gnus-specific
> > part of the menubar, operating on the article under the point.
>
> Also, it's an XEmacs thing.

No, it's a Gnus thing.  There are XEmacs packages that implement real
context-sensitive menus.  It's just a small matter of programming.

* Re: Using the mouse and context menu to reply (bug?)
@ 2000-01-04 19:47     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-01-04 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:

> Also, it's an XEmacs thing.  RMB menus in Emacs really are context,
> because otherwise, you don't get a menu, you set a region.

Well, if message 4711 is underlined and displayed in the article
buffer, and I C-down-mouse-3 on message 4712 and then choose
Post/Followup and yank, then the message is a followup to 4711, not
the message under the mouse pointer.

Using Gnus from CVS and Emacs 20.5.

kai
--
A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.
(BFBS Radio)