* "-- " for signatures?
@ 1998-11-27 19:05 Kai.Grossjohann
       [not found] ` <x7emqprll2.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1998-11-27 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Off-topic alert.)

Where was it again where it is specified that signatures should be
separated from the rest of the message by a "-- " line?

tia,
kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: "-- " for signatures?
       [not found] ` <x7emqprll2.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
@ 1998-11-27 20:14   ` Russ Allbery
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Russ Allbery @ 1998-11-27 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:
> "KG" == Kai Grossjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:

> KG> Where was it again where it is specified that signatures should be
> KG> separated from the rest of the message by a "-- " line?

> One of the Internet RFCs specifies it... but I cannot for the life of me
> remember which one.

Are you sure it's an RFC?  I thought the only "official" reference was in
Son-of-1036.

--
Russ Allbery (rra@stanford.edu)         <URL:http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

* Re: "-- " for signatures?
@ 1998-11-27 21:33     ` Christian Kurz
From: Christian Kurz @ 1998-11-27 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:

> Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:
> > "KG" == Kai Grossjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:
>
> > KG> Where was it again where it is specified that signatures should be
> > KG> separated from the rest of the message by a "-- " line?
>
> > One of the Internet RFCs specifies it... but I cannot for the life of me
> > remember which one.
>
> Are you sure it's an RFC?  I thought the only "official" reference was in
> Son-of-1036.

It's no RfC but it's mentioned in Son-of-RfC1036 and
Grandson-of-RfC1036.

Christian
--
M$: Our software of tomorrow will make sure that on your
hardware of tomorrow everything will work at the usual speed. ;-)

* Re: "-- " for signatures?
@ 1998-11-27 22:47     ` Leonard Blanks
From: Leonard Blanks @ 1998-11-27 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

 RA> Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:
 >> "KG" == Kai Grossjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:

 KG> Where was it again where it is specified that signatures should be
 KG> separated from the rest of the message by a "-- " line?

 >> One of the Internet RFCs specifies it... but I cannot for the life of me
 >> remember which one.

 RA> Are you sure it's an RFC?  I thought the only "official" reference was in
 RA> Son-of-1036.

Yes.  In Section 4.3.2:

          Early  difficulties in inferring return addresses from arti-
          cle headers led to "signatures": short closing texts,  auto-
          matically  added  to  the end of articles by posting agents,
          identifying the poster and giving his network addresses etc.
          If  a  poster or posting agent does append a signature to an
          article, the signature SHOULD be preceded with  a  delimiter
          line  containing  (only)  two hyphens (ASCII 45) followed by
          one blank (ASCII  32).   Posting  agents  SHOULD  limit  the
          length  of  signatures,  since  verbose  excess bordering on
          abuse is common if no restraint is imposed;  4  lines  is  a
          common limit.

--
Len

We are all just prisoners here of our own MAKEDEV.

* Re: "-- " for signatures?
@ 1998-11-27 22:52     ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1998-11-27 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

  > Are you sure it's an RFC?  I thought the only "official" reference
  > was in Son-of-1036.

I finally found it in Son-of-1036.  Grmpf.  I searched for `--' and
for `dash', but of course the author of the document uses `hyphen' :-(

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.