* followup in nnimap groups doesn't heed Mail-Copies-To
@ 2000-11-14 15:40 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-11-14 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

My postings contain "Mail-Copies-To: never", yet I get followups by
mail from my colleagues when I post in our shared IMAP groups.

WIBNI Gnus would refrain from sending a Cc when the given header is
present, even in nnimap groups?

kai
--
The arms should be held in a natural and unaffected way and never
be conspicuous. -- Revised Technique of Latin American Dancing

* Re: followup in nnimap groups doesn't heed Mail-Copies-To
@ 2000-11-15 16:28 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-11-15 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> My postings contain "Mail-Copies-To: never", yet I get followups by
> mail from my colleagues when I post in our shared IMAP groups.

Does the article contain To/Cc or Newsgroups: headers?

> WIBNI Gnus would refrain from sending a Cc when the given header is
> present, even in nnimap groups?

I believed Gnus always refrained from Ccing if the header is present.
If you Followup this mail, it doesn't mail me, right?

And, your colleagues do use Gnus, right? :-)

* Re: followup in nnimap groups doesn't heed Mail-Copies-To
@ 2000-11-15 16:37   ` Jorge Godoy
From: Jorge Godoy @ 2000-11-15 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 15 Nov 2000, sj@extundo.com wrote:
> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> My postings contain "Mail-Copies-To: never", yet I get followups by
>> mail from my colleagues when I post in our shared IMAP groups.
>
> Does the article contain To/Cc or Newsgroups: headers?
>
>> WIBNI Gnus would refrain from sending a Cc when the given header is
>> present, even in nnimap groups?
>
> I believed Gnus always refrained from Ccing if the header is
> present.  If you Followup this mail, it doesn't mail me, right?

Wrong, as you can see....

See you,
--
Godoy. <godoy@conectiva.com>

Departamento de Publicações       Conectiva S.A.
Publishing Department             Conectiva Inc.

* Re: followup in nnimap groups doesn't heed Mail-Copies-To
@ 2000-11-15 16:44     ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2000-11-15 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jorge Godoy <godoy@conectiva.com> writes:
> On 15 Nov 2000, sj@extundo.com wrote:
> > I believed Gnus always refrained from Ccing if the header is
> > present.  If you Followup this mail, it doesn't mail me, right?
>
> Wrong, as you can see....

No, your followup went to the list and to Kai, but not to Simon.

> My postings contain "Mail-Copies-To: never", yet I get followups by
> mail from my colleagues when I post in our shared IMAP groups.

Sounds like a job for (cue trumpets) Mail-Followup-To.

paul

* Re: followup in nnimap groups doesn't heed Mail-Copies-To
@ 2000-11-15 16:54   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-11-15 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15 Nov 2000, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> My postings contain "Mail-Copies-To: never", yet I get followups by
>> mail from my colleagues when I post in our shared IMAP groups.
>
> Does the article contain To/Cc or Newsgroups: headers?

All articles contain Newsgroups headers, only a few of them contain
To/Cc.

>> WIBNI Gnus would refrain from sending a Cc when the given header is
>> present, even in nnimap groups?
>
> I believed Gnus always refrained from Ccing if the header is
> present.  If you Followup this mail, it doesn't mail me, right?

Nonrelevant.  I'm reading this in nnml:auto.gnus.  Hm.  Yes, it
refrains from Cc'ing you.  Hm.  I'll try to copy your message to an
nnimap group to see what happens.  Just a sec...

Ah.  It worx, even in an nnimap group.

Looking closer, I see that you have MCT nobody whereas I have MCT
never.  Okay, I'll switch to nobody now.

> And, your colleagues do use Gnus, right? :-)

Yes.  5.8.7, to be precise.

kai
--

@ 2000-11-15 17:17       ` Eric Marsden
From: Eric Marsden @ 2000-11-15 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I agree that Gnus' handling of mailing lists could be improved. It
should be able to autodetect messages which comes from a list by the
presence of certain headers such as

   ^X-Mailing-List
   ^X-MDMailing-List
   ^Mailing-List:
   ^X-Mailman-Version
   ^Sender:.*owner-
>From some of these it might be able to determine split rules
automatically (if a variable nnsplit-autodetect-mailinglists is
non-nil). When replying to messages from a list, Gnus should reply
only to the list, and should insert a Mail-Followups-To header. If
RFC2369 List-Subscribe and List-Unsubscribe headers are present, Gnus
should offer convenient unsubscription commands (like gnus-ml.el
posted by Julien Gilles a while ago).

<URL:http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2369.html>

--
Eric Marsden                          <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>

* Re: followup in nnimap groups doesn't heed Mail-Copies-To
@ 2000-11-15 17:19     ` Steve Youngs
From: Steve Youngs @ 2000-11-15 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

* "Kai" == Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:

 Kai> Looking closer, I see that you have MCT nobody whereas I have MCT
 Kai> never.  Okay, I'll switch to nobody now.

I remember a discussion a while back on gnu.emacs.gnus about which was
correct; MCT nobody or MCT never.  MCT nobody won.

I'm pretty sure that Gnus used to honor both, doesn't it still do
that?  If not, perhaps it should.

--
|---<Regards, Steve Youngs>-----------[GnuPG KeyID: EFD82ED2]---|
|     It's a funny thing about life; if you refuse to accept    |

* Re: followup in nnimap groups doesn't heed Mail-Copies-To
@ 2000-11-15 17:33         ` Paul Jarc
From: Paul Jarc @ 2000-11-15 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Marsden <emarsden@mail.dotcom.fr> writes:
> When replying to messages from a list, Gnus should reply only to the
> list, and should insert a Mail-Followups-To header.

See <URL:http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html>.  I've already made a
patch to make Gnus obey Mail-Followup-To (and Mail-Reply-To), and I'm
working on some code to fine-tune the conditions for controlling when
to prompt the user about obeying MFT.  My MFT fields are already being
added by qmail-inject, so I have no need for Gnus to do it, but I
agree it would be a good idea.  I probably won't get around to it any
time soon, though, so if someone else wants to tackle *generating* MFT
and MRT, that would be good.

paul

* Re: followup in nnimap groups doesn't heed Mail-Copies-To
@ 2000-11-15 17:46     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-11-15 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Looking closer, I see that you have MCT nobody whereas I have MCT
> never.  Okay, I'll switch to nobody now.

Message should support both; does "nobody" work for you while "never"
does not?

The only reference for MCT I've found is
<URL:http://www.newsreaders.com/misc/mail-copies-to.html>, and it
suggest "nobody" as the recommended value.

* Re: followup in nnimap groups doesn't heed Mail-Copies-To
@ 2000-11-15 18:02         ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2000-11-15 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Eric Marsden <emarsden@mail.dotcom.fr> writes:

> If RFC2369 List-Subscribe and List-Unsubscribe headers are present,
> Gnus should offer convenient unsubscription commands (like
> gnus-ml.el posted by Julien Gilles a while ago).

gnus-ml.el is in the lisp/ dir of CVS Gnus, should we enable it by
default?  Everything but "browse archive" work fine.  Currently it
requires the group to have a `to-list' group parameter, but perhaps we
should remove that check.

I'm not sure about the copyright situation for it though.

* Re: followup in nnimap groups doesn't heed Mail-Copies-To
@ 2000-11-15 18:24       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-11-15 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15 Nov 2000, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> Message should support both; does "nobody" work for you while
> "never" does not?

Very amazing.  The code says both, but it appears that only nobody
works, and never doesn't.  Hm.

kai