* Score file format misaligned with score commands?
@ 2001-11-06 14:46 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-11-06 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the node "Score File Format", the docs say that you can include
magic in score files which cause Gnus to fetch the header or the
whole article and do the matching there.

But in the node "Scoring On Other Headers", the docs say that you
have to put the headers in gnus-extra-headers and stuff like that.

I think the docs should say the following:

* If it is possible to have gnus-extra-headers work with NNTP
  servers, tell us, how.  (I vaguely recall some entry
  "overview:full" or somesuch in the INN configuration?)  The current
  node gives the impression that extra headers only work with nnml.
  Presumably, these days, nnfolder also works (because of NOV
  support).  And what about nnimap?

* There should be commands to insert rules in the score file that
  correspond to the "Header" and "Body" magic described in "Score
  File Format".

* The documentation under "Score On Other Headers" should mention
  these commands.

Thoughts?

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: Score file format misaligned with score commands?
@ 2001-12-29 21:44 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-29 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> In the node "Score File Format", the docs say that you can include
> magic in score files which cause Gnus to fetch the header or the
> whole article and do the matching there.
>
> But in the node "Scoring On Other Headers", the docs say that you
> have to put the headers in gnus-extra-headers and stuff like that.
>
> I think the docs should say the following:
>
> * If it is possible to have gnus-extra-headers work with NNTP
>   servers, tell us, how.  (I vaguely recall some entry
>   "overview:full" or somesuch in the INN configuration?)  The current
>   node gives the impression that extra headers only work with nnml.
>   Presumably, these days, nnfolder also works (because of NOV
>   support).  And what about nnimap?

I don't quite remember either...

> * There should be commands to insert rules in the score file that
>   correspond to the "Header" and "Body" magic described in "Score
>   File Format".

`I b ...' scores on body, etc...

> * The documentation under "Score On Other Headers" should mention
>   these commands.

Well, it does mention `head' scoring...

* Re: Score file format misaligned with score commands?
@ 2001-12-30  0:34   ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2001-12-30  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:

>> * If it is possible to have gnus-extra-headers work with NNTP
>>   servers, tell us, how.  (I vaguely recall some entry
>>   "overview:full" or somesuch in the INN configuration?)  The current
>>   node gives the impression that extra headers only work with nnml.
>>   Presumably, these days, nnfolder also works (because of NOV
>>   support).  And what about nnimap?

> I don't quite remember either...

I'm not sure if this answers the question, but you can add lines of the
form:

    Header:full

to the overview.fmt configuration file of INN for any additional headers
that you want to show up in overview.  Note that those headers will only
be stored in overview for articles that arrive after you make that change
and restart innd.

Whether or not Gnus can then take advantage of them, I don't recall, but I
think it can based on past discussion of Keywords.

* Re: Score file format misaligned with score commands?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-12-30  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

> I'm not sure if this answers the question, but you can add lines of the
> form:
>
>     Header:full

Ah; right.  There's already an example like that in the manual, I see
now.