* Mail splitting questions or feature requests
@ 2001-03-22 19:15 Reid Rivenburgh
From: Reid Rivenburgh @ 2001-03-22 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have a couple of little issues regarding mail splitting.  As always,
I hope they aren't FAQs....

1. I have several rules that match in From, To, and Cc on specific
   email addresses; if one is found, the mail is put in a group for
   that person.  If none is matched, it goes in a catch-all
   "misc-mail" group.  My question: If I get mail from an unknown
   person that happens to Cc a known person, the mail is filed in the
   known person's group.  Is it possible to make it also file the mail
   in misc-mail due to the unknown sender?  This would be handy,
   because sometimes I don't realize where mail was filed thanks to an
   unnoticed Cc recipient.  (I tend to look at my mail immediately
   using a command line tool, then do the real work in Gnus.)  If
   there was more than one unknown address in the header, then I'd
   only want one copy to go to misc-mail, of course.  I do have
   cross-posting enabled.

2. Related to the above, I sometimes can't figure out which group a
   mail was sent to.  I just discovered the nnmail-split-history
   command, which is helpful.  Could that be made a little more useful
   by including the subject in each line?  Also, it would be nice if
   the split history buffer contained a little separator line with the
   date between each instance of mail fetching.  And finally, it seems
   like it's just keeping the n most recent lines in the history
   buffer; anyone know how to control that behavior?

Thanks for listening,
Reid

* Re: Mail splitting questions or feature requests
@ 2001-03-22 22:09 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-03-22 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

For the first question: see the variable nnmail-crosspost which
controls whether the first match in nnmail-split-methods fires, or all
of them do.

kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.

* Re: Mail splitting questions or feature requests
@ 2001-03-22 22:44   ` Reid Rivenburgh
From: Reid Rivenburgh @ 2001-03-22 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

 Kai Großjohann writes:

 > For the first question: see the variable nnmail-crosspost which
 > controls whether the first match in nnmail-split-methods fires, or
 > all of them do.

Thanks for the info, Kai, but I don't think that quite does what I'd
like.  Let me explain again.  Say I have an email message with 5
addresses in it (including From and Cc's).  Three of them are on my
nnmail-split-methods list, and two aren't.  I understand that with
nnmail-crosspost set to t, it'll get filed in the three matching
groups.  I'd like it to also file a copy in my default misc-mail group
in this case, because of the two non-matches.  I'd like any instance
of a non-match to trigger a dump to the default split-method group.

Does that make sense?  The rationale is that I sometimes get mail from
a non-match address about a topic that happens to be Cc'ed to someone
that is a match.  I don't associate the topic with the person that was
matched, so I don't think to look in their group when looking for the
mail later.  It'd be nice to know a copy went to misc-mail in that
case.

@ 2001-03-22 23:05     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-03-22 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

I see.  Hm.  Doing something for messages where the From address is
NOT among a set of known addresses is probably not so easy.  But I
guess you should be able to do it with nnmail-split-fancy.

Can you see how to do it there?

kai
--

@ 2001-03-22 23:31       ` Reid Rivenburgh
From: Reid Rivenburgh @ 2001-03-22 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

 Kai Großjohann writes:

 > I see.  Hm.  Doing something for messages where the From address is
 > NOT among a set of known addresses is probably not so easy.  But I
 > guess you should be able to do it with nnmail-split-fancy.

 > Can you see how to do it there?

Well, no, but maybe after a few hours of looking at it. :) Thanks for
the suggestion.

@ 2001-03-22 23:41         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-03-22 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 22 Mar 2001, Reid Rivenburgh wrote:
>  Kai Großjohann writes:
>
>  > I see.  Hm.  Doing something for messages where the From address
>  > is NOT among a set of known addresses is probably not so easy.
>  > But I guess you should be able to do it with nnmail-split-fancy.
>
>  > Can you see how to do it there?
>
> Well, no, but maybe after a few hours of looking at it. :) Thanks
> for the suggestion.

Hm.  You might have to separate the `From' rules from the To/Cc
rules.  Then you can do like this:

(| (from "known1" "group1") (from "known2" "group2") ... "XX")

I think this should put messages from any of the known people in the
indicated groups, and all other messages in the XX group.

Not you have to combine with To/Cc.  Hm...

(& (| ...as.above...)
   (to "known1" "group1")
   ...)

`|' means go through the rules and do the first one that fires.
`&' means go through the rules and do all that fire.

kai
--

@ 2001-03-22 23:47           ` Reid Rivenburgh
From: Reid Rivenburgh @ 2001-03-22 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

 Kai Großjohann writes:

 > Hm.  You might have to separate the `From' rules from the To/Cc
 > rules.  Then you can do like this:

 > (| (from "known1" "group1") (from "known2" "group2") ... "XX")

 > I think this should put messages from any of the known people in
 > the indicated groups, and all other messages in the XX group.

 > Not you have to combine with To/Cc.  Hm...

 > (& (| ...as.above...)
 >  (to "known1" "group1") ...)

 > `|' means go through the rules and do the first one that fires.
 > `&' means go through the rules and do all that fire.

I see, that's not so difficult.  Do you think there's a way to define
the known/group list once and use it in a few places rather than
repeat it?  My list has gotten pretty long.

Thanks again.

@ 2001-03-22 23:55             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-03-22 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 22 Mar 2001, Reid Rivenburgh wrote:

> I see, that's not so difficult.  Do you think there's a way to
> define the known/group list once and use it in a few places rather
> than repeat it?  My list has gotten pretty long.

Yes, it's possible.  You'll have to learn a little about Lisp though.
Lessee...

(setq known-group '( ("known1" "group1") ("known2" "group2") ))
(setq nnmail-split-fancy
      `(& (| ,@(mapcar (lambda (x) (cons "from" x)) known-group))
          ,@(mapcar (lambda (x) (cons "to" x)) known-group)))

Note "`" vs "'".  You might also wish to try

    (cons 'to x)

rather than

    (cons "to" x)

All completely untested.

kai
--

@ 2001-03-23 18:44               ` Reid Rivenburgh
From: Reid Rivenburgh @ 2001-03-23 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

 Kai Großjohann writes:

 > Yes, it's possible.  You'll have to learn a little about Lisp
 > though.  Lessee...

 > (setq known-group '( ("known1" "group1") ("known2" "group2") ))
 > (setq nnmail-split-fancy
 >     `(& (| ,@(mapcar (lambda (x) (cons "from" x)) known-group))
 >         ,@(mapcar (lambda (x) (cons "to" x)) known-group)))

 > Note "`" vs "'".  You might also wish to try

 >   (cons 'to x)

 > rather than

 >   (cons "to" x)

 > All completely untested.

Very impressive!  I'll give it a try.  Thanks for all your help with
this.

Reid