* IMAP support
@ 1997-08-02 16:15 Steve Dunham
From: Steve Dunham @ 1997-08-02 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is anyone actively working on IMAP support?  The only IMAP backend I can
find is at

 /afs/afs_sites/cs.cmu.edu/project/systems-visigoth/src/emacs/nnimap

which has the following problems:

   Can't tell the difference between read and unread messages
   Can't delete messages
   Doesn't handle server disconnect gracefully. (i.e. it can't
reconnect)

It also seems to use a bit more bandwidth to get the message list than
the evil mail reader I'm currently stuck with.

I'm just wondering if anyone is working on it. (As you can tell from
the message header, I'm getting desperate.)

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu

* Re: IMAP support
@ 1997-08-06  3:29 ` John McClary Prevost
From: John McClary Prevost @ 1997-08-06  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Steve Dunham

    sd> Is anyone actively working on IMAP support?  The only IMAP
    sd> backend I can find is at

    sd> /afs/afs_sites/cs.cmu.edu/project/systems-visigoth/src/emacs/nnimap

That's it.  Actually, try nnimap-dev for the one I run (which isn't
much different.)  I've been putting of working on it for a while.
Partly because I've been busy with work, and partly because I've been
waiting for Quassia.

    sd> which has the following problems:

    sd> Can't tell the difference between read and unread messages
    sd> Can't delete messages

I -can- make it do the above, but it will take mondo time to refresh
your group buffer.  The current model for a backend passing this info
to Gnus is to pass it when you scan groups for new messages.  I've
asked that a new method be added so that:

  a) Gnus can ask the backend "how many new/existing/tagged messages"
     are there (IMAP can answer this quickly).

  b) Gnus can ask on group entry what the current message flags are,
     since this is expensive in IMAP and shouldn't be done unless you
     actually want to read the group.

I'm blocking on at least a stub description for the above methods,
then I can do more.  I've also not made some changes which Lars would
like to see before nnimap enters Gnus because the new methods would
make them unnecessary.

    sd> Doesn't handle server disconnect gracefully. (i.e. it can't reconnect)

A bug which I admit is my problem, and I've been too lazy about
fixing.  I'm working on moving my main mail stuff to IMAP, which means
I'll get a move on it soon.

    sd> It also seems to use a bit more bandwidth to get the message
    sd> list than the evil mail reader I'm currently stuck with.

At the moment, I grab full RFC822 headers, if I recall.  I intend to
switch to using envelopes and a few other relevant headers.

    sd> I'm just wondering if anyone is working on it. (As you can
    sd> tell from the message header, I'm getting desperate.)

Wow.  That -is- desperate.

John.

* Re: imap support
@ 1998-06-19 14:02 ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 1998-06-19 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Simon Josefsson

    Simon> Anyone interested in IMAP support for Gnus should have a look at:
    Simon> http://vic20.dzp.se/gnus-imap/

    Simon> I'd like to hear if anyone else is working on this, and if some
    Simon> coordination of efforts is possible.

A message in the XEmacs group indicates that the following fellow

        Jim Radford <radford@robby.caltech.edu>

is also working on imap4 for gnus.  You should probably get in touch with him.

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza II                           Beeper: (800) 505-2795
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
                                       E-mail: jcolman@jnc.com
                                          web: http://www.ppllc.com

* imap support