* Stability/value of moving from Gnus 5.8.8 to ognus 0.05
@ 2002-03-22 21:49 David M. Karr
From: David M. Karr @ 2002-03-22 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been using Gnus 5.8.8 in XEmacs/Cygwin (21.4.6) on Win2k, for quite a
while.  However, I'm frustrated with several problems that happen occasionally,
like:

1. Every couple of days, the instant I send a message, XEmacs dies.  It always
finishes writing the note into my "gcc" folder, but I'm not certain whether it
actually sent the note.

2. I sometimes get notes which are not straight text. Html, for instance, which
I would actually like to read.  Often, when I try to read these notes, it hangs
while "Drawing", and I eventually have to manually kill XEmacs.  I have one
note that I've been saving that seems to do this every time (although I've only
tried this 2-3 times, not right after each other).

3. While reading nntp groups, I often get into a state where when I press
"Space" to select a note, the display doesn't change until either ~15 seconds
elapse or I move the window focus to another window (or the desktop).  It
doesn't do this all the time, but once it gets into this state, it happens on
every single note in nntp groups, until I kill XEmacs and start over.

Otherwise, my Gnus experience is pretty good.

My question is, if I install the 0.05 Oort release ("ognus", I assume?) from
"1/20/2002", is there any expectancy of any of these problems being alleviated,
and hopefully not be replaced by others?  I don't consider myself a "power"
Gnus user.  I just use nntp and nnml groups with topics, but I connect to
several different nntp servers.

dmkarr@earthlink.net

* Re: Stability/value of moving from Gnus 5.8.8 to ognus 0.05
@ 2002-03-23 11:38 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2002-03-23 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

dmkarr@earthlink.net (David M. Karr) writes:
> My question is, if I install the 0.05 Oort release ("ognus", I assume?) from
> "1/20/2002", is there any expectancy of any of these problems being alleviated,
> and hopefully not be replaced by others?

On the "XEmacs 21.4 dies after sending," no, Oort will not help.  It's
an XEmacs bug which bites me now and again, too.  Run XEmacs under a
debugger and you'll see it's dying in a window refresh routine
unrelated to Gnus.

Reducing text/html to non-annoyance status is doable, but I don't know
how much of it can be done in 5.8, so perhaps Oort will help there.
My choices for this are...

(setq mm-automatic-display (remove "text/html" mm-automatic-display)
      mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "text/richtext")
      mm-inline-override-types '("text/html"))

...plus a mailcap entry, thus:

text/html; TERM=rxvt lynx -dump -force_html %s -term=rxvt; copiousoutput

But again, I don't know when some of this support arrived, and it
might or might not be only Oortish.

Your NNTP issue is not something with which I'm familiar, so I can't
speak to it.

--karl