* error in current CVS
@ 2003-04-22  5:09 Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 2003-04-22  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

Using Oort Gnus v0.19, CVS updated an hour ago, I'll get the following
error when I try to select my spam group, ie the one I split spam into
using spam.el (in combination with bogofilter).  This is the only
group I see this behaviour:

Signaling: (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil)
  gnus-dup-unsuppress-article(552)
  gnus-mark-article-as-unread(552 ?$)
  gnus-summary-mark-article(552 ?$)
  spam-mark-junk-as-spam-routine()
  spam-summary-prepare()
  run-hooks(spam-summary-prepare)
  apply(run-hooks spam-summary-prepare)
  gnus-run-hooks(gnus-summary-prepare-hook)
  gnus-summary-prepare()
  gnus-summary-read-group-1("nnml:spam" nil t nil nil nil)
  gnus-summary-read-group("nnml:spam" nil t nil nil nil nil)
  gnus-group-read-group(nil t)
  gnus-group-select-group(nil)
  gnus-topic-select-group(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-topic-select-group)

norbert.

* Re: error in current CVS
@ 2003-04-22 13:10 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-04-22 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, nk@viteno.net wrote:
> Using Oort Gnus v0.19, CVS updated an hour ago, I'll get the
> following error when I try to select my spam group, ie the one I
> split spam into using spam.el (in combination with bogofilter).
> This is the only group I see this behaviour:
>
> Signaling: (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil)
>   gnus-dup-unsuppress-article(552)
>   gnus-mark-article-as-unread(552 ?$)
>   gnus-summary-mark-article(552 ?$)
>   spam-mark-junk-as-spam-routine()

Up to spam-mark-junk-as-spam-routine this is triggered by spam.el
using the list of articles from gnus-newsgroup-unreads or
gnus-newsgroup-unseen, but the error with gnus-dup-unsuppress-article
is outside spam.el, in gnus-dup.el.  I think the arrayp error is
happening when gnus-dup-unsuppress-article runs

(gnus-data-header (gnus-data-find article))

and the article is somehow not available.  I recently switched from
running through all the articles sequentially to using
gnus-newsgroup-unseen and gnus-newsgroup-unreads in
spam-mark-junk-as-spam-routine, could that be the problem?

Ted

* Re: error in current CVS
@ 2003-04-22 14:26   ` Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 2003-04-22 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> is outside spam.el, in gnus-dup.el.  I think the arrayp error is
> happening when gnus-dup-unsuppress-article runs
>
> (gnus-data-header (gnus-data-find article))
>
> and the article is somehow not available.  I recently switched from
> running through all the articles sequentially to using
> gnus-newsgroup-unseen and gnus-newsgroup-unreads in
> spam-mark-junk-as-spam-routine, could that be the problem?

It seems to be the problem.  I've just re-used version 6.92, ie before
these changes, of spam.el and everything looks great.

Hmm, is there a file I should, err, bring closer to reality in order
to use the new features?

Thanks,
norbert.

* gnus-newsgroup-unseen gives gnus-dup-unsuppress-article error (was: error in current CVS)
@ 2003-04-22 16:05     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-04-22 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, nk@viteno.net wrote:
> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> is outside spam.el, in gnus-dup.el.  I think the arrayp error is
>> happening when gnus-dup-unsuppress-article runs
>>
>> (gnus-data-header (gnus-data-find article))
>>
>> and the article is somehow not available.  I recently switched from
>> running through all the articles sequentially to using
>> gnus-newsgroup-unseen and gnus-newsgroup-unreads in
>> spam-mark-junk-as-spam-routine, could that be the problem?
>
> It seems to be the problem.  I've just re-used version 6.92, ie
> before these changes, of spam.el and everything looks great.
>
> Hmm, is there a file I should, err, bring closer to reality in order
> to use the new features?

I haven't seen the error you mention.  Maybe it's Agent-related, I
don't know, but I use the latest spam.el and I get consistently marked
articles without errors.  I don't use the Agent.

You probably have spam-mark-only-unseen-as-spam set to t (the
default), right?  In that case the error is with
gnus-newsgroup-unseen, it's somehow giving us articles that trigger an
error when I try to apply the spam-mark to them (in
gnus-dup-unsuppress-article).  Can you try to debug
gnus-dup-unsuppress-article, using debug statements, to see where the
arrayp error is occurring?  Since I can't duplicate your problem, you
need to trace through it on your side.

Thanks
Ted

* Re: gnus-newsgroup-unseen gives gnus-dup-unsuppress-article error
@ 2003-04-23  5:35       ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-04-23  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, nk@viteno.net wrote:
>> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>>
>>> is outside spam.el, in gnus-dup.el.  I think the arrayp error is
>>> happening when gnus-dup-unsuppress-article runs
>>>
>>> (gnus-data-header (gnus-data-find article))
>>>
>>> and the article is somehow not available.  I recently switched from
>>> running through all the articles sequentially to using
>>> gnus-newsgroup-unseen and gnus-newsgroup-unreads in
>>> spam-mark-junk-as-spam-routine, could that be the problem?
>>
>> It seems to be the problem.  I've just re-used version 6.92, ie
>> before these changes, of spam.el and everything looks great.
>>
>> Hmm, is there a file I should, err, bring closer to reality in order
>> to use the new features?
>
> I haven't seen the error you mention.  Maybe it's Agent-related, I
> don't know, but I use the latest spam.el and I get consistently marked
> articles without errors.  I don't use the Agent.
>
> You probably have spam-mark-only-unseen-as-spam set to t (the
> default), right?  In that case the error is with
> gnus-newsgroup-unseen, it's somehow giving us articles that trigger an
> error when I try to apply the spam-mark to them (in
> gnus-dup-unsuppress-article).  Can you try to debug
> gnus-dup-unsuppress-article, using debug statements, to see where the
> arrayp error is occurring?  Since I can't duplicate your problem, you
> need to trace through it on your side.

Personally, I don't see the connection to the agent.  I've put
together this much but I don't use the spam features so this is about
all that I can do.

The macros in gnus-dup-unsupress-article expand as follows:

(defun gnus-dup-unsuppress-article (article)
  "Stop suppression of ARTICLE."
  (let ((id
          (aref
           (nth 3
                (assq article gnus-newsgroup-data))
           4)))
    ((if id
         (progn
           (setq gnus-dup-list-dirty t)
           (setq gnus-dup-list
                 (delete id gnus-dup-list))
           (unintern id gnus-dup-hashtb))))))

There's only the one aref so the error has to result from
(assq article gnus-newsgroup-data) returning nil.  The invalid article
number that is passed to gnus-dup-unsuppress-article comes from
spam-mark-junk-as-spam-routine and, yes Ted, it gets it from
gnus-newsgroup-unseen.

The initial value of gnus-newsgroup-unseen is computed by
gnus-compute-unseen-list in gnus-sum.el.  That function computes
gnus-newsgroup-unseen as a subset of gnus-newsgroup-articles so the
initial value of gnus-newsgroup-unseen appears to be OK.

Can anyone explain how gnus-newsgroup-articles might be updated?  If
articles were removed from it, then gnus-newsgroup-unseen might become a
superset of gnus-newsgroup-articles and that would cause the arrayp error.

So far, that's all that I can identify.  I hope that this helps.

Kevin

* Re: gnus-newsgroup-unseen gives gnus-dup-unsuppress-article error
@ 2003-04-23 11:39         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-04-23 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com wrote:
> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>> You probably have spam-mark-only-unseen-as-spam set to t (the
>> default), right?  In that case the error is with
>> gnus-newsgroup-unseen, it's somehow giving us articles that trigger
>> an error when I try to apply the spam-mark to them (in
>> gnus-dup-unsuppress-article).  Can you try to debug
>> gnus-dup-unsuppress-article, using debug statements, to see where
>> the arrayp error is occurring?  Since I can't duplicate your
>> problem, you need to trace through it on your side.
>
> Personally, I don't see the connection to the agent.  I've put
> together this much but I don't use the spam features so this is
> about all that I can do.

You must be using the spam features, if spam-mark-junk-as-spam-routine
is getting called.  What else is in your summary exit hooks?  Maybe
something is removing articles from gnus-newsgroup-data before
spam-mark-junk-as-spam-routine gets to it?

Can you look for the article that triggers this error, e.g. 552, and
see if it really is in that group?  Also see if it is in
gnus-newsgroup-unseen the next time you enter the group.

Add a hook to summary entry and summary exit (before
spam-mark-junk-as-spam-routine and eveyrthing else in the summary exit
hook) that does (debug gnus-newsgroup-unseen gnus-newsgroup-data).
That way, you can see if the article really is in the unseen list, and
if it's in the newsgroup data as well.

That's all the ideas I have.  I'll be offline until Monday, so someone
else should commit patches against spam.el regarding this problem if
they are needed.

@ 2003-04-23 17:50           ` Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 2003-04-23 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

Hi!

Thanks for the suggestions.  I don't think the problem is
agent-related, since I don't use it - or I don't know I'm using it :-)

I've changed the value of spam-mark-only-unseen-as-spam and don't see
any problems.  In fact after I've worked through some articles using
the old version of spam.el, I can't reproduce the error (although it's
out there :-))

[...]
> That's all the ideas I have.  I'll be offline until Monday, so someone
> else should commit patches against spam.el regarding this problem if
> they are needed.

I'd say it's not a pressing issue, since I seem to be the only one
experiencing it (once).  Maybe, it's simply OSI Layer 8 related :-)

norbert.