* Article count
@ 1997-07-17 13:03 Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 1997-07-17 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

In my mail.misc folder (everything that doesn't fit everywhere else),
I have 250+ ticked articles and 25 new articles. However, Gnus asks me
how many articles I wanna see (with a default of 275). I think it
should ask this only if there is more than 200 *unticked* articles. It
is quite annoying to get this question[1] each time I enter this
folder.

What do you think about it?

  Sam

Footnotes:
[1]  Yes, I could raise the limit to 300 but the problem stays the same.
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@inf.enst.fr

* Re: Article count
@ 1997-07-17 15:47 ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1997-07-17 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Why not just set gnus-large-newsgroup to nil?  Given that the only
thing missing (for me, anyway) is a way to automatically hide the
ticked articles.  Last time I tried it in gnus-select-group-hook I ran
into an infinite loop.

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* Re: Article count
@ 1997-07-17 16:18   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-07-17 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Samuel Tardieu, ding

  David> Why not just set gnus-large-newsgroup to nil?  Given that the
  David> only thing missing (for me, anyway) is a way to automatically
  David> hide the ticked articles.  Last time I tried it in
  David> gnus-select-group-hook I ran into an infinite loop.

If you want them hidden, why don't use mark them as dormant?
(Using "?".)

Btw, I also wanted to make Gnus automatically hide the articles that
I've read but want to keep.  Therefore I switched from total-expire to
auto-expire and I'm happy now because entering a (mail) group is
usually a lot faster now -- fewer articles to display.  One can still
use dormant articles for nntp groups...

kai
--
A large number of young women don't trust men with beards.
(BFBS Radio)

* Re: Article count
@ 1997-07-17 16:27     ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1997-07-17 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Samuel Tardieu, ding

KG> If you want them hidden, why don't use mark them as dormant?
KG> (Using "?".)

Cool!  I didn't realize that dormant articles would be hidden.
Thanks.

> Btw, I also wanted to make Gnus automatically hide the articles that
> I've read but want to keep.  Therefore I switched from total-expire
> to auto-expire and I'm happy now because entering a (mail) group is
> usually a lot faster now -- fewer articles to display.  One can
> still use dormant articles for nntp groups...

Why does this make any difference?  Either way read articles are not
displayed for me.

--

@ 1997-07-17 17:03       ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-07-17 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Kai> Btw, I also wanted to make Gnus automatically hide the articles
  Kai> that I've read but want to keep.  Therefore I switched from
  Kai> total-expire to auto-expire and I'm happy now because entering
  Kai> a (mail) group is usually a lot faster now -- fewer articles to
  Kai> display.  One can still use dormant articles for nntp groups...

  David> Why does this make any difference?  Either way read articles
  David> are not displayed for me.

If total-expire is on, articles marked as read are expirable.

I'm unsure about the difference between

  (1) turning on total-expire then marking articles as "!" or "?"
      depending on whether they should be hidden or displayed, and
  (2) using auto-expire or explicitly marking articles as expirable
      and marking articles "!" or "r" depending on whether they should
      be hidden or displayed.

Can anybody shed some light on that?

I suspect that M-x gnus-group-expire-all-groups RET is faster in case
(1).  But what else is different?

kai
--

@ 1997-07-17 17:15         ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1997-07-17 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Right, I understand that difference between auto and total expiry.  My
question is why should auto-expire make group entry faster?

Dave

* Re: Article count
@ 1997-07-17 17:24           ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-07-17 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  David> Right, I understand that difference between auto and total
  David> expiry.  My question is why should auto-expire make group
  David> entry faster?

Ah.  With total-expire, one often ticks those articles that one wants
to keep.  Many ticked articles ==> large summary buffer size ==>
summary buffer generation takes long.

Without total-expire, one can just mark those articles as read that
one wants to keep.  And the important ones can be ticked.  Therefore,
a typical summary buffer contains only the new articles and the few
important ones.  Smaller summary buffer ==> faster group entry.

I should've made that a lot clearer, I think.

kai
--

@ 1997-07-17 17:43     ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1997-07-17 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> Btw, I also wanted to make Gnus automatically hide the articles that
> I've read but want to keep.  Therefore I switched from total-expire to
> auto-expire and I'm happy now because entering a (mail) group is
> usually a lot faster now -- fewer articles to display.  One can still
> use dormant articles for nntp groups...

I don't understand how switching your expire method could possibly
affect which articles get displayed.

Whether you use total- or auto- expiry, you still see all of the same
articles.

--
Justin Sheehy

In a cloud bones of steel.

* Re: Article count
@ 1997-07-17 17:57             ` Christopher Davis
From: Christopher Davis @ 1997-07-17 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

KG> == Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de>

 KG> Ah.  With total-expire, one often ticks those articles that one wants
 KG> to keep.  Many ticked articles ==> large summary buffer size ==>
 KG> summary buffer generation takes long.

Except that I make "keep but don't display" articles dormant, which works
fine with total-expire.