* wierd..
@ 1996-08-01  7:45 Christian Viken
From: Christian Viken @ 1996-08-01  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I discovered one annoying thing the other day while posting to no.test
I don't know what happened, but it couldn't be any other thing than a
bug, could it?

Well..here is what i did:

Started gnus as usual. I was trying out gnus 5.2.38, so i subscribed
to no.test and did a catch up ('c')
my display:

	0: no.test

nothing wrong here..

pressed 'a' , filled inn group and subject and a short notice, and
pressed 'C-c-c'. Pressed 'g' to update my group buffer.
my display:

	1: no.test

nothing wrong here either...BUT! when I tried to enter the group to
read my test, pressing 'space' (tried with 'enter' also..same result),
the little bugger told me "no more unread articles".
my display:

	0: no.test

My emacs 19.31.1 never tried to leave the Group-buffer. Seems to me it
just caught up the group. When I visited the group afterwards,
specifying 10 old articles, my test-article was there, but marked as
read. Spooky!

What happened?

-Chris
Christian Viken (IRC: Zakka)         | WWW administrator NTNU
Email: chrisvik@itea.ntnu.no         | www-admin@www.ntnu.no
URL  : http://www.ntnu.no/~chrisvik/ | http://www.ntnu.no/

* Re: wierd..
@ 1996-08-01 20:37 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-08-01 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christian.Viken@itea.ntnu.no (Christian Viken) writes:

> 	1: no.test
>
> nothing wrong here either...BUT! when I tried to enter the group to
> read my test, pressing 'space' (tried with 'enter' also..same result),
> the little bugger told me "no more unread articles".
> my display:
>
> 	0: no.test
>
> My emacs 19.31.1 never tried to leave the Group-buffer. Seems to me it
> just caught up the group. When I visited the group afterwards,
> specifying 10 old articles, my test-article was there, but marked as
> read. Spooky!

That is indeed spooky, and I have no idea what might have happened.
Do you have any score rules that might be expunging articles from
yourself or something odd like that?

* Re: wierd..
@ 1996-08-02 11:08   ` Christian Viken
From: Christian Viken @ 1996-08-02 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen]
 > Christian.Viken@itea.ntnu.no (Christian Viken) writes:
 >
 > > 	1: no.test
 > >
 > > nothing wrong here either...BUT! when I tried to enter the group to
 > > read my test, pressing 'space' (tried with 'enter' also..same result),
 > > the little bugger told me "no more unread articles".
 > > my display:
 > >
 > > 	0: no.test
 > >
 > > My emacs 19.31.1 never tried to leave the Group-buffer. Seems to me it
 > > just caught up the group. When I visited the group afterwards,
 > > specifying 10 old articles, my test-article was there, but marked as
 > > read. Spooky!
 >
 > That is indeed spooky, and I have no idea what might have happened.
 > Do you have any score rules that might be expunging articles from
 > yourself or something odd like that?

Nope. I'm not using score at all. In fact I use almost only gnus
defaults. I'm no elisp guru and haven't had time to read the gnus
manual, so my .gnus and .emacs files are pretty simple. And it would be
pretty stupid expunging my own articles.. :)

If anybody has a great .gnus -file/gnus-setup with score ++, please mail
it to me :)

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-08-02 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christian.Viken@itea.ntnu.no (Christian Viken) writes:

>  > > 	1: no.test
>  > >
>  > > nothing wrong here either...BUT! when I tried to enter the group to
>  > > read my test, pressing 'space' (tried with 'enter' also..same result),
>  > > the little bugger told me "no more unread articles".
>  > > my display:
>  > >
>  > > 	0: no.test
>  > >
>  > > My emacs 19.31.1 never tried to leave the Group-buffer. Seems to me it
>  > > just caught up the group. When I visited the group afterwards,
>  > > specifying 10 old articles, my test-article was there, but marked as
>  > > read. Spooky!

You may have experienced an nntp server glitch.  `M-g' (aka. "GROUP")
reported the updated article numbers but `RET' (aka. "XOVER") perhaps
wasn't updated or something, so it claimed that the article didn't
exist, so Gnus trusted that information and marked the article as
read.

I'm just guessing here, but it's a possibility.  Could you try to do
the same again -- post an article and then quickly `M-g' and `RET' the
group to see whether the same thing happens again?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen