* help! my el-dingo was corrupted!
@ 1996-02-13 21:43 Mark Borges
From: Mark Borges @ 1996-02-13 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Last night my /home partition experienced a failure. Consequently,
since I was using Gnus at the time, my el-dingo (.eld) file was
corrupted. Bummer.

So why am I bugging the list, you ask?

I've re-created it (or rather sgnus has), but now it seems that I see
the phrase,

	"Looking for new newsgroups"

in the minibuffer for a *much* longer time than I used to. Other than
looking out the window how can I speed this up?

I'm really not too interested in new newsgroups (I can't keep up with
what I read now), so I've put the options line:

options -n !adass.all !alt.all !aus.all !bionet.all !bit.all !biz.all !boulder.all !can.all !clari.all !comp.all !courts.all !ctdl.all !cu.all !csu.all !csn.all !co.all !dc.all !es.all !francom.all !info.all !ieee.all !misc.all !news.admin !rec.all !vmsnet.all !zer.all !fr.all !fj.all !pubnet.all !psi.all !vax.all !de.all !k12.all !talk.all !sci.all !soc.all !trial.all

in my .newsrc file. It's been there since GNUS-4 days. Is it possible
that this line isn't being recognized now? How can I know for sure? Is
there a better way of ignoring these groups?

Thanks,

A frazzled sgnus customer :-).

  -mb-

* Re: help! my el-dingo was corrupted!
@ 1996-02-14 16:06 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-02-14 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Borges <mdb@cdc.noaa.gov> writes:

> I've re-created it (or rather sgnus has), but now it seems that I see
> the phrase,
>
> 	"Looking for new newsgroups"
>
> in the minibuffer for a *much* longer time than I used to. Other than
> looking out the window how can I speed this up?

Hmn.  I can see why it would take longer time to start up the first
time without the .newsrc.eld file, but once it has been created,
things should go back to normal.  Perhaps setting
`gnus-check-new-newsgroups' to `ask-server' will help?

> I'm really not too interested in new newsgroups (I can't keep up with
> what I read now), so I've put the options line:
>
> options -n !adass.all !alt.all !aus.all !bionet.all !bit.all !biz.all !boulder.all !can.all !clari.all !comp.all !courts.all !ctdl.all !cu.all !csu.all !csn.all !co.all !dc.all !es.all !francom.all !info.all !ieee.all !misc.all !news.admin !rec.all !vmsnet.all !zer.all !fr.all !fj.all !pubnet.all !psi.all !vax.all !de.all !k12.all !talk.all !sci.all !soc.all !trial.all
>
> in my .newsrc file. It's been there since GNUS-4 days. Is it possible
> that this line isn't being recognized now? How can I know for sure? Is
> there a better way of ignoring these groups?

It should be recognized.  The `gnus-newsrc-options' variable should
hold the options while Gnus is running, so you could check that one.

options -n !all gnu.all

is perhaps a better way to say "ignore all hierarchies except the gnu
hierarchy", though.