* Re: Q: Cross posted articles
       [not found]     ` <w47mxddh2e.fsf@loiosh.kei.com>
@ 1996-02-23 20:30       ` Mark Borges
From: Mark Borges @ 1996-02-23 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Ding Gnus List

>> On 23 Feb 1996 18:37:15 GMT,
>> Christopher Davis(ckd) wrote:

ckd> Try this trick:
ckd> Telnet to the news server's nntp port.
ckd> Type "list overview.fmt".

ckd> See if it includes a line "Xref:full".
ckd> It probably doesn't.

good guess!

mine doesn't (see below). Is this one of those things I "should
complain bitterly to the NetNews administrators" about?

ckd> (PS to Lars: maybe a Red Gnus feature?  M-x gnus-check-for-evil-nov ? :)

Does this mean my NOV is eVIl? (I don't really understand the full
repercussions, apart from the obvious that scoring on Xref won't
work). Would I be better served by setting g-n-i-e:

gnus-nov-is-evil's value is nil

Documentation:
If non-nil, Gnus backends will never output headers in the NOV format.

Thanks for any advice,

  -mb-

200 boulder InterNetNews NNRP server INN 1.4unoff2 7-Aug-95 ready (posting ok).
list overview.fmt
215 Order of fields in overview database.

* Re: Q: Cross posted articles
@ 1996-02-23 22:45         ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-02-23 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> Christopher Davis(ckd) wrote:

ckd> Try this trick:
ckd> Telnet to the news server's nntp port.
ckd> Type "list overview.fmt".

ckd> See if it includes a line "Xref:full".
ckd> It probably doesn't.

mb> good guess!

mb> mine doesn't (see below). Is this one of those things I "should
mb> complain bitterly to the NetNews administrators" about?

Yes.  You can be thankful you're running a real INN server though.
The one from Netscape has some horrible bugs in it that they refuse to
fix.

ckd> (PS to Lars: maybe a Red Gnus feature?  M-x gnus-check-for-evil-nov ? :)

mb> Does this mean my NOV is eVIl? (I don't really understand the full
mb> repercussions, apart from the obvious that scoring on Xref won't
mb> work). Would I be better served by setting g-n-i-e:

gnus-nov-is-evil is overkill.  You could say gnus-nov-is-evil is evil,
since setting it disables use of overview with nnml as well.  Setting
nntp-nov-is-evil is sufficient.

Speaking for myself, I have to have crossposts killed once read.
Reading news is too annoying without it.  The main thing you lose is
stuff like gnus-fetch-old-headers which doesn't work without NOV.

I started on a workaround patch to use XHDR[*] to get Xref:, but it got
totally broken when Lars overhauled nntp.el, and I haven't gotten back
to it.

[*]You get overview info from an INN server by issuing the command
XOVER from-to
If this is missing Xref: data, it may be obtained by issuing the command
XHDR XREF from-to
and then grafting the results onto the data obtained from XOVER to get
the same effect.

--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.

* Re: Q: Cross posted articles
@ 1996-02-24  7:44         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-02-24  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Borges <mdb@cdc.noaa.gov> writes:

> >> Christopher Davis(ckd) wrote:
>
> ckd> (PS to Lars: maybe a Red Gnus feature?  M-x gnus-check-for-evil-nov ? :)

Yup.  I've added this to the todo list.  I'll also be mentioning the
"LIST overview.fmt" trick in the manual.