* M-g and nnmail-spool-file
@ 1996-01-22 10:05 Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-01-22 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use sgnus-0.29 on Emacs 19.30.  When I enter a group and do a M-g
from the Summary buffer, mail is read from the files in
nnmail-spool-file and added to the current group.  I would expect
nnmail-spool-file not to be read at all, but if it is read, I would
expect the mail to go to mail.misc (or somewhere else, according to
nnmail-split-methods).

My setup:  nnmail-spool-file is a list, nnmail-use-procmail is set to
t, nnmail-split-methods is (("mail.misc" "")).

Things have been this way for a LONG time now, since the time of
(ding) Gnus.

Anybody seen this, too?

        kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: M-g and nnmail-spool-file
@ 1996-01-22 22:40 ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-01-22 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai> I use sgnus-0.29 on Emacs 19.30.  When I enter a group and do a M-g
Kai> from the Summary buffer, mail is read from the files in
Kai> nnmail-spool-file and added to the current group.  I would expect
Kai> nnmail-spool-file not to be read at all, but if it is read, I would
Kai> expect the mail to go to mail.misc (or somewhere else, according to
Kai> nnmail-split-methods).

Kai> My setup:  nnmail-spool-file is a list, nnmail-use-procmail is set to
Kai> t, nnmail-split-methods is (("mail.misc" "")).

Kai> Things have been this way for a LONG time now, since the time of
Kai> (ding) Gnus.

Kai> Anybody seen this, too?

One man's bug is another man's feature.  I need and use this feature.

As an example:
If you have nnml groups nnml:pgp and nnml:alt.security.pgp and long
filenames.  Gnus will erroneously take messages alt.security.pgp.spool
and put them in nnml:pgp.  This is a bug.

The only way to get messages from alt.security.pgp.spool to go into
nnml:alt.security.pgp.spool is to M-g on the group name.

Basically whenever you have a procmail spool file named
some.miscellaneous.group.name.spool, and nnml group
nnml:some.miscellaneous.group.name.spool, then collected mail from the
spool file should go into the exact name match rather than to
nnml:name, or some such.

--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.

* Re: M-g and nnmail-spool-file
@ 1996-01-24 13:37   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-01-24 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Kai> I use sgnus-0.29 on Emacs 19.30.  When I enter a group and do a
  Kai> M-g from the Summary buffer, mail is read from the files in
  Kai> nnmail-spool-file and added to the current group.  I would
  Kai> expect nnmail-spool-file not to be read at all, but if it is
  Kai> read, I would expect the mail to go to mail.misc (or somewhere
  Kai> else, according to nnmail-split-methods).

  Steven> The only way to get messages from alt.security.pgp.spool to
  Steven> go into nnml:alt.security.pgp.spool is to M-g on the group
  Steven> name.

I don't think this has anything to do with the misbehavior I talked
about.  You're talking about the procmail spool files, I'm talking
about the nnmail-spool-file variable.  To clarify:  I have a setup
that puts all my mail from /var/spool/mail/grossjoh into
nnml:mail.misc (because nnmail-split-methods is `(("mail.misc"
""))').  Suppose there is a mail in /var/spool/mail/grossjoh and I am
in the nnml:foo summary buffer.  I then hit M-g which causes this mail
from /var/spool/mail/grossjoh to be put in the nnml:foo group.  I
would expect mail from ~/procmail-spool-dir/foo.suffix to be put in
the group (and, indeed, they are), but I would NOT expect those from
/var/spool/mail/grossjoh to be put there.  After all,
nnmail-split-methods says to put these in nnml:mail.misc!

I hope I have clarified my message.  Did I misunderstand yours?

        kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: M-g and nnmail-spool-file
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-01-25 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjoh@ls6.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> I would expect mail from ~/procmail-spool-dir/foo.suffix to be put
> in the group (and, indeed, they are), but I would NOT expect those
> from /var/spool/mail/grossjoh to be put there.  After all,
> nnmail-split-methods says to put these in nnml:mail.misc!

Indeed.  This should work better in September 0.31, I think.