* Sgnus 0.32 NEWS file
@ 1996-01-29 16:20 Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-01-29 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just upgraded from 5.1, and had a bit trouble figuring out what was
new.  Here is a list of what I found.  Maybe it should be added to the
distribution?

---- NEWS ----

* New features in Gnus:

** Support for trn-like graphical tree display.

Enable with (setq 'gnus-use-trees t).

** Topics.

Groups can now be organized into different topics.  Type `t' to
enable, and `T C-h' to get a list of commands.

** Improve support for including old articles in thread display.

The old code would only include articles that hadn't expired.  Enable
new code with (setq gnus-build-sparse-threads t).

** Allow composing multiple messages simultaneously.

You can now compose multiple news or mail replies simultaneously, and
you do no longer have to send the messages before you exit.  Enter the
`nndraft:drafts' group and type `S D c' to continue composing a message.

** Allow retrying posting a rejected news article.

If the server reject a news article, you can enter the
`nndraft:drafts' group and type `S D b' to try posting it again.

** Automatic logging of outgoing mail and news.

Disable with (setq gnus-message-archive-group nil).

** Support for off-line mail and news reading using the SOUP format.

Gnus will now create and read SOUP format packages.  Read the manual
before trying this!

** New nn-like pick mode.

This will allow you to pick the articles you want to read before
reading them.  Type `M-x gnus-pick-mode RET' to try it.

** New mode for browsing binary groups.

Type `M-x gnus-binary-mode RET' to try it.

** Restricted summary view.

The `/' key now allows you to restrict the summary view, for example
will `/ s gnu RET' restrict the view to all messages with `gnu' in its
subject.

** The group buffer is now fontified.

See `gnus-group-highlight' for how to customize it.

** The group buffer can be sorted automatically.

Type `G S C-h' for a list of sort commands.

** Commands now work on the active region.

If the region is active, most commands will work on all items in the
region.  Use `C-u M-x transient-mark-mode RET' to enable active
regions.

** More flexible buffer configuration.

See `gnus-buffer-configurationø.

** Header buttons.

Mail addresses and message-ids in the header are now buttons.  Push
`mouse-2' or `RET' to activate them.

** You can now hide PGP signatures.

Type `W W p' to try this.

** NoCeM support.

You can now honor a secure replacement for cancels, somehow.

** You can resent messages with `S D r'.

** You can reparent mail messages with `T ^'.

** There is support for having multiple posting styles.

So you e.g. can use different signatures in different groups.  See
section `Posting Styles' in the manual.

** Many bugs fixed and improvements of existing functionality.

** Even more new bugs.

** XEmacs specific enhancements:

*** Toolbar.

*** Picons support.

* Re: Sgnus 0.32 NEWS file
@ 1996-01-30 16:29 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-01-30 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

abraham@dina.kvl.dk (Per Abrahamsen) writes:

> I just upgraded from 5.1, and had a bit trouble figuring out what was
> new.  Here is a list of what I found.  Maybe it should be added to the
> distribution?

I did that same a week ago, but I was more vague on how to do things.
I mainly mentioned that things exist, without saying anything about
how to use the new things.

Here's what I wrote:

** Gnus changes.

Gnus, the Emacs newsreader, has undergone further rewriting.  Many new
commands and variables have been added.  There should be no
significant imcompatabilities between this Gnus version and the
previosly released version.

*** Gnus is now able to generate "sparse" threads -- threads where
missing articles are represented by empty nodes.

*** Partial thread regeneration now happens when articles are
referred.

*** A trn-line tree buffer can be displayed.

*** An nn-like pick-and-read minor mode is available for the summary
buffers.

*** Groups can be grouped in a folding topic hierarchy.

*** Outgoing articles are stored on a special archive server.

*** Message composition buffers autosave to a draft group, which also
stores unsent messages.

*** Gnus can resend and bounce mail.

*** Groups can now have a score, and bubbling based on entry frequency
is possible.

*** Groups can be process-marked, and commands can be performed on
groups of groups.

*** Caching is possible in virtual groups.

*** nndoc now understands all kinds of digests, mail boxes, rnews news
batches, ClariNet briefs collections, and just about everything else.

*** Gnus has a new backend (nnsoup) to create/read SOUP packets.

*** The Gnus cache is much faster.

*** Groups can be sorted according to many criteria.

*** New group parameters have been introduced to set list-address and
expiry times.

*** All formatting specs allow specifying faces to be used.

*** Variables for specifying the styles of outgoing articles are now
more easily controlled.

*** There are several more commands for setting/removing/acting on
process marked articles.

*** The summary buffer can be limited to show parts of the available
articles based on a wide range of criteria.

*** Articles can be made persinstent -- as an alternative to saving
articles.

*** All functions for hiding article elements are now toggles.

*** Article headers can be buttonized.

*** All mail backends support fetching articles by Message-ID.

*** Duplicate mail can now be treated properly.

*** All summary mode commands are available directly from the article
buffer.

*** Frames can be part of `gnus-buffer-configuration'.

*** Mail can be re-scanned by a daemonic process.

*** Gnus can make use of NoCeM files to filter spam.

*** Groups can be made permanently visible.

*** Many new hooks have been introduced to make customizing easier.

*** Gnus respects the Mail-Copies-To header.

*** Threads can be gathered by looking at the References header.

*** Read articles can be stored in a special backlog buffer to avoid
refetching.

*** A clean copy of the current article is always stored in a buffer
to allow easier treatment.

*** Gnus can suggest where to save articles, and it can save many
articles without prompting much.

*** gnus-uu can view decoded files asynchronously while fetching
articles.

*** Filling in the article buffer now works properly on cited text.

*** Hiding cited text adds buttons to toggle hiding, and how much
cited text to hide is now customizable.

*** Boring headers can be hidden.

*** Default scoring values can now be set from the menu bar.

The Gnus manual has been expanded.  It explains all these new features
in greater detail.

* Re: Sgnus 0.32 NEWS file
@ 1996-01-30 17:54   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1996-01-30 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

larsi@ifi.uio.no (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen) writes:

|> I did that same a week ago, but I was more vague on how to do things.
|> I mainly mentioned that things exist, without saying anything about
|> how to use the new things.

I think that Per's and yours should be combined (or cross checked for
things that aren't in one of them).  I like that Per's had the "getting
started with this feature" hints in it.  You should consider adopting
his :-)

Wes

--
Home is where the cat shredded furniture is.

* Re: Sgnus 0.32 NEWS file
@ 1996-01-30 20:34     ` Edward J. Sabol
From: Edward J. Sabol @ 1996-01-30 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excerpts from mail: (30-Jan-96) Re: Sgnus 0.32 NEWS file by Wes Hardaker
> I think that Per's and yours should be combined (or cross checked for
> things that aren't in one of them).  I like that Per's had the "getting
> started with this feature" hints in it.  You should consider adopting
> his :-)

I have to agree. Things like "Enable with (setq 'gnus-use-trees t)" and "Type
`t' to enable, and `T C-h' to get a list of commands" are very helpful. Per's
also seemed to be arranged in a more hierarchical fashion which made reading
it easier.

Later,
Ed "I'm still stuck with Emacs 19.28" Sabol

* Re: Sgnus 0.32 NEWS file
@ 1996-01-31 15:18       ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 1996-01-31 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

One thing I haven't noticed in either of the proposed NEWS files is
that the gnus-mail-*-method variables no longer point to a function
but rather a symbol that is used as sort of an index.  I can't believe
I'm really the only one to ever redefine the
gnus-mail-*-using-whatever to behave somewhat differently.  I've
resorted to advising the gnus-summary-mail-* functions in my nnmh
groups to get the behavior I want in sgnus.  Someone else may find
they need to do the same.

Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B020\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730
Phone: 617-271-3887
Domain: dsg@mitre.org  UUCP: {your neighborhood}!linus!mdf!dsg

* Re: Sgnus 0.32 NEWS file
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-01-31 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <hardaker@ece.ucdavis.edu> writes:

> I think that Per's and yours should be combined (or cross checked for
> things that aren't in one of them).  I like that Per's had the "getting
> started with this feature" hints in it.  You should consider adopting
> his :-)

I'll be combining the two files.  I thought it might be nice to keep
the NEWS file short -- my version (which was *very* terse) was 109
lines long.  (I think Per's version was about the same size?)  So the
combined one should probably be twice as long.  :-)