* ghost new articles in nnml groups
@ 1997-05-12 15:21 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1997-05-12 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've a problem, that many nnml groups show up with new articles, even
when there aren't any

Back around April 18, I got this problem for the first time.  It
surfaced when I had moved two ticked articles from a different nnml
group, using
	G m

Today I had a crash, in that my SPARCbook took a sudden nosedive, and
many of the files currently in emacs were trashed.  Among the files
trashed, were some .overview files, so I have done an
	M-x nnml-generate-nov-databases

After this, I have seen this phenomenon in some 5-10 mail groups.
There are several manifestations:
	1. new articles are reported in *Group*, but none are found when I
	   enter the nnml group
	2. new articles are reported *Group*, and when I enter the group,
	   previously ticked, and read, articles, appear as new unread
	   articles
	3. the new articles reported in *Group* disappear when I do a
	   "g" command

I'm not reporting this as a bug, since I suspect the reason for this
is that I've gotten some cruft into either ~/.newsrc.eld,
~/Mail/active, or some NOV files, somewhere.

If someone has any ideas to where to look for this cruft, it will be
highly appreciated.

Thanx!

- Steinar

* Re: ghost new articles in nnml groups
@ 1997-05-12 15:53 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1997-05-12 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> After this, I have seen this phenomenon in some 5-10 mail groups.
> There are several manifestations:
> 	1. new articles are reported in *Group*, but none are found when I
> 	   enter the nnml group
> 	2. new articles are reported *Group*, and when I enter the group,
> 	   previously ticked, and read, articles, appear as new unread
> 	   articles
> 	3. the new articles reported in *Group* disappear when I do a
> 	   "g" command

> I'm not reporting this as a bug, since I suspect the reason for this
> is that I've gotten some cruft into either ~/.newsrc.eld,
> ~/Mail/active, or some NOV files, somewhere.

Hm... if ~/Mail/active has multiple entries for the same nnml group,
what effects does this have, and what could have caused it?

I seem to have fixed one such group, by deleting one entry, and fixing
the other entry to match what's actually in the group (missing article
newly moved there, that could be found both in the NOV database, and
the article itself, but not when opening the group in Gnus).

@ 1997-05-17  3:39   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-05-17  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> Hm... if ~/Mail/active has multiple entries for the same nnml group,
> what effects does this have, and what could have caused it?

Multiple entries in the active file is poison.  The results will be
totally unpredictable.

I have no idea what could cause this, though.  Could
`nnml-generate-nov-databases' be the culprit?

* Re: ghost new articles in nnml groups
@ 1997-05-17 21:13     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1997-05-17 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:
>> Hm... if ~/Mail/active has multiple entries for the same nnml group,
>> what effects does this have, and what could have caused it?

> Multiple entries in the active file is poison.  The results will be
> totally unpredictable.

> I have no idea what could cause this, though.  Could
> `nnml-generate-nov-databases' be the culprit?

Possibly.  I trashed the old active file, and did a new
nnml-generate-nov-databases, which created a new, clean active file.

Then all of these problems went away.

- Steinar