* my inattentiveness, and agent/imap
@ 2000-05-02 23:01 Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 2000-05-02 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been very busy of late due to a new job and some other
changes, and thus have not been reading ding and g.e.g quite as
thoroughly as I used to.  If something comes up that merits a change
to the FAQ and I don't do anything about it, feel free to send me
email alerting me to that.

I finally am in a situation where the combination of nnimap and
nnagent is useful (actually, pretty much necessary) for me.  It seems
to be almost working, yet I apparently missed something.

I added (gnus-agentize) to the end of my .gnus.el and added my nnimap
server to the agent with `J a'.  I can do things when plugged such as
`J s', which seems to succeed at transferring articles.  However, when
I start Gnus unplugged, all of my groups are *'ed out.  If I try to do
a M-g on a group while unplugged, I get:

<group name here> error: Invalid group (no such directory)

Thus, unpluggedness isn't too useful.

Also, the next time that I start Gnus plugged after going unplugged,
all groups are *'ed out.  M-g on a group in this state does succeed in
scanning the group and making it live.

I must be missing something simple in my agent setup.  Any ideas?

-Justin

* Re: my inattentiveness, and agent/imap
@ 2000-05-02 23:39 ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 2000-05-02 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

An addendum to my own message:

> Also, the next time that I start Gnus plugged after going unplugged,
> all groups are *'ed out.  M-g on a group in this state does succeed in
> scanning the group and making it live.

Not just the next time.  Every time.  This now occurs every time that
I start Gnus.  Quite annoying.

@ 2000-05-04 15:52   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-05-04 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> An addendum to my own message:
>> Also, the next time that I start Gnus plugged after going unplugged,
>> all groups are *'ed out.  M-g on a group in this state does succeed in
>> scanning the group and making it live.

> Not just the next time.  Every time.  This now occurs every time that
> I start Gnus.  Quite annoying.

You have to go unplugged before disconnecting from the network, if you
have been using nnimap.  It needs to close up with the server, before
it behaves as if it's unplugged.

I've been planning to write a bug report about that for a while
now... but what's happened instead is that I've become quite good
about going unplugged before suspending the machine (I move the laptop
between networks with suspend/resume, rather than shutdown and
reboot).

* Re: my inattentiveness, and agent/imap
@ 2000-05-04 20:09     ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 2000-05-04 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> You have to go unplugged before disconnecting from the network, if you
> have been using nnimap.  It needs to close up with the server, before
> it behaves as if it's unplugged.

I did that.  In fact, in the entire scenario that I described above, I
never once disconnected from the network.  I didn't plan on doing so
until I had unpluggedness working.

@ 2000-05-04 21:17       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-05-04 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:
>> You have to go unplugged before disconnecting from the network, if you
>> have been using nnimap.  It needs to close up with the server, before
>> it behaves as if it's unplugged.

> I did that.  In fact, in the entire scenario that I described above, I
> never once disconnected from the network.  I didn't plan on doing so
> until I had unpluggedness working.

OK.  Then we're back to your setup, as you said in your first
message.  What does your setup look like?  What does your nnimap group
names look like?  Do you have any duplicate imap servers in the server
buffer?

This is all the setup that I've got:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml "")
	(nnimap "some.mailhost.no"
		(nnimap-list-pattern
		 ("INBOX"
		  ("imap/" . "*"))))))

* Re: agent/imap
@ 2000-05-05  0:59         ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 2000-05-05  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> What does your setup look like?

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "imap.akamai.com"))
(setq nnimap-list-pattern '(".imap/*"))

IMAP mail works fine, but it doesn't work at all under the agent.

The only thing that I did to try to get the agent going was to add
this to the end of my .gnus.el:

(gnus-agentize)

> What does your nnimap group names look like?

Here's a sample:

        37: .imap/bugtraq
         0: .imap/sysgrp-escalate
        35: .imap/inbox

> Do you have any duplicate imap servers in the server buffer?

No, just the one.

Any ideas are welcome.

-Justin

* Re: agent/imap
@ 2000-05-05  9:41           ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-05-05  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:
>> What does your setup look like?

> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "imap.akamai.com"))
> (setq nnimap-list-pattern '(".imap/*"))

> IMAP mail works fine, but it doesn't work at all under the agent.

Hm... here's a difference from what I do: you run the IMAP server as
the primary server, while I have it as a secondary server.

Does anyone else on this list run an IMAP server as the primary
server, and get Agent to work?

* Re: agent/imap
@ 2000-05-09 18:58             ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 2000-05-09 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> Does anyone else on this list run an IMAP server as the primary
> server, and get Agent to work?

Anyone?

Or if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be happy to
try to track this down myself.  I am totally unable to get the agent
to work under this configuration, and don't have much idea of where
the problem is likely to be.

Thanks.

-Justin

* Re: agent/imap
@ 2000-05-10  7:22               ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-05-10  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

One thing to try would be to make the IMAP server be a secondary
server and to try the agent with that.
kai
--
Beware of flying birch trees.

* Re: agent/imap
@ 2000-05-10 21:53               ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 2000-05-10 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

So, I tried running with nnimap as a secondary select method, with a
dummy nnml server as primary.

This solved half of the problem.  Groups no longer start out with a
'*'.  I can immediately see group counts without having to M-g them,
etc.

However, it still does not work with agent.  I added the nnimap server
to the agent, did a 'J s' and a 'J j', which seemed to work fine.  I
started up Gnus unplugged, and it all looked good.  I could see
article counts next to the groups, at least.

But when I try to select a group:

Signaling: (error "Couldn't request group nnimap+imap.akamai.com:.imap/inbox: Invalid group (no such directory)")
  signal(error ("Couldn't request group nnimap+imap.akamai.com:.imap/inbox: Invalid group (no such directory)"))
  cerror("Couldn't request group %s: %s" "nnimap+imap.akamai.com:.imap/inbox" "Invalid group (no such directory)")
  apply(cerror ("Couldn't request group %s: %s" "nnimap+imap.akamai.com:.imap/inbox" "Invalid group (no such directory)"))
  error("Couldn't request group %s: %s" "nnimap+imap.akamai.com:.imap/inbox" "Invalid group (no such directory)")
  gnus-select-newsgroup("nnimap+imap.akamai.com:.imap/inbox" nil nil)
  gnus-summary-read-group-1("nnimap+imap.akamai.com:.imap/inbox" nil t nil nil nil)
  gnus-summary-read-group("nnimap+imap.akamai.com:.imap/inbox" nil t nil nil nil nil)
  gnus-group-read-group(nil t)
  gnus-group-select-group(nil)
  gnus-topic-select-group(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-topic-select-group)

So which directory doesn't exist?

$ ls /home/justin/News/agent/nnimap/imap.akamai.com/.imap/inbox
10   127  131  142  175  18   193  21  28  31  38  45  6   7   88  94
102  128  134  148  176  180  195  25  29  32  41  47  66  74  90
118  129  138  15   177  19   199  26  3   33  43  50  67  75  92
125  130  14   16   178  191  20   27  30  34  44  55  68  86  93

This also raises a question: what about nnimap is different such that
it doesn't work as gnus-select-method?

-Justin