* Mailing list archive is available
@ 1997-07-15  1:15 Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1997-07-15  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

A new mailing list archive is now available at
<URL:http://fly.cc.fer.hr/archive/gnus>, courtesy Drazen Kacar.

Several other archives are available at
<URL:http://fly.cc.fer.hr/archive/>, so you may want to peek.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1997-07-15 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> A new mailing list archive is now available at
> <URL:http://fly.cc.fer.hr/archive/gnus>, courtesy Drazen Kacar.

The purpose of this archive is so people can catch up on the list if
they missed some messages, or read it on the web instead of email of
nntp?  It seems to only go back to June of this year.  Can one access
archives any farther back, and if so, is there any chance some
searching capability could be added?  I think this would be very
helpful to many of us here.  The ding archive at
http://www.miranova.com/gnus-list/ seems comprehensive, but the search
interface has been broken for as long as I can remember which makes it
kind of useless.

   Jason R. Mastaler                      jason@mastaler.com

* Re: Mailing list archive is available
@ 1997-07-15 17:16   ` Drazen Kacar
From: Drazen Kacar @ 1997-07-15 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Jason R Mastaler wrote:

> The purpose of this archive is so people can catch up on the list if
> they missed some messages, or read it on the web instead of email of
> nntp?

Hrvoje wants to be useful, and that's the only purpose :)

> It seems to only go back to June of this year.  Can one access
> archives any farther back, and if so, is there any chance some
> searching capability could be added?

Hmm... First some MIME (RFC 2047), then threading, then the rest of MIME.
Searching comes after that, as far as I'm concerned. However, I'll spend
the next year in pris^H^H^H^Harmy, so I won't have the time to do it.
Perhaps Hrvoje will, I don't know.

> I think this would be very
> helpful to many of us here.  The ding archive at
> http://www.miranova.com/gnus-list/ seems comprehensive, but the search
> interface has been broken for as long as I can remember which makes it
> kind of useless.

Yep.

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.

dave@fly.cc.fer.hr
dave@zemris.fer.hr

* Re: Mailing list archive is available
@ 1997-07-18  7:57     ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1997-07-18  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Drazen Kacar <dave@fly.cc.fer.hr> writes:

> Jason R Mastaler wrote:

>> helpful to many of us here.  The ding archive at
>> http://www.miranova.com/gnus-list/ seems comprehensive, but the search
>> interface has been broken for as long as I can remember which makes it
>> kind of useless.

> Yep.

It's searchable now ...

* Re: Mailing list archive is available
@ 1997-07-18 14:53       ` C. R. Oldham
From: C. R. Oldham @ 1997-07-18 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steven L Baur wrote:

> > Jason R Mastaler wrote:
> >> search interface has been broken for as long as I can remember

> It's searchable now ...

Thank you Steve.  We all really appreciate that.

--
| Charles R. (C. R.) Oldham     | NCA Commission on Schools        |
| cro@nca.asu.edu               | Arizona St. Univ., PO Box 873011,|

* Re: Mailing list archive is available
@ 1997-07-18 14:59       ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1997-07-18 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steven L Baur <steve@xemacs.org> writes:

> It's searchable now ...

Great!  It doesn't look like the messages for May, June or July of
this year are indexed yet, but otherwise seems to be working for the
most part.  Is there something preventing indexing of numbers or
hostnames?  Searching for any of the Gnus versions (v5.4.17 for
example) or say "www.gnus.org" doesn't return any matches despite
being in the archives in several places.

@ 1997-07-18 19:49         ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1997-07-18 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

[There's an important question at the bottom of this message]

Jason R Mastaler <jason@mastaler.com> writes:

> Steven L Baur <steve@xemacs.org> writes:
>> It's searchable now ...

It's indexed using Swish, a front-end to WWWWAIS, anything else
WWWWAIS should be O.K. if I'm reading the sparse documentation correctly.

> Great!  It doesn't look like the messages for May, June or July of
> this year are indexed yet, but otherwise seems to be working for the
> most part.

That's what I like about the Emacs community -- you can't get away
with *anything* ... :-/

You are correct.  To be more precise, it is indexed through a Brian
Edmonds message on 17 May:

Subject: Re: feature request: find cancel
Date: 17 May 1997 16:01:45 -0700
From: edmonds@cs.ubc.ca (Brian Edmonds)

I didn't find this problem until after indexing the archives twice (a
*most* painful process -- ~100 minutes at 95% CPU on a Pentium 100).

It'll be fixed the next time I let the indexing program run, probably
sometime this weekend in the wee hours.

> Is there something preventing indexing of numbers or
> hostnames?

Probably.  I don't think numbers are indexed. There's also a threshold
number of hits before certain `popular' words are dropped.  Does searching
for any part of Lars' name or `Gnus' work?  [I just checked, they don't]
According to the documentation they shouldn't be indexed due to the high
frequency of occurrences.

> Searching for any of the Gnus versions (v5.4.17 for
> example) or say "www.gnus.org" doesn't return any matches despite
> being in the archives in several places.

Now for the important question, these archives have to move off of
miranova.com sometime soonish since I haven't worked for them
since April.  The stablest home I can provide for them would be at
xemacs.org.  A more logical place might be gnus.org.  What do people
think?

* Re: Mailing list archive is available
@ 1997-07-19  2:51           ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1997-07-19  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steven L Baur <steve@xemacs.org> writes:

> It's indexed using Swish, a front-end to WWWWAIS, anything else
> WWWWAIS should be O.K. if I'm reading the sparse documentation correctly.

Yeah, Swish is a really old program that isn't really being maintained
or supported by it's author.

> That's what I like about the Emacs community -- you can't get away
> with *anything* ... :-/

:-)

> I didn't find this problem until after indexing the archives twice (a
> *most* painful process -- ~100 minutes at 95% CPU on a Pentium 100).

I was using swish and wwwwais a few years ago when running a couple
of really large mailing list archives (like the DIRECT-L LISTSERV) and
found it frustrating.  I was happy when I found Excite for Web Servers
(EWS).  It works great and is free.  For more info see,
http://www.excite.com/navigate/home.html

> Now for the important question, these archives have to move off of
> miranova.com sometime soonish since I haven't worked for them
> since April.  The stablest home I can provide for them would be at
> xemacs.org.  A more logical place might be gnus.org.  What do people
> think?

My idea for gnus.org was primarily to provide a placeholder and common
entry point for those seeking the various Gnus resources.  I don't
think it matters if the archives are located elsewhere as long as
gnus.org always points in their direction.  I think distributing the
responsibility for all these resources (mailing lists in one place,
archives in another, faq in still another, etc) with the common tie
being gnus.org works well because it doesn't put all the eggs in one
basket, yet still ties everything together.  Also, a large searchable
archive can sometimes put undue restraints on a heavily loaded web
server.  The SGI Challenge server gnus.org is hosted on is a shared
webserver hosting a number of other websites for customers of various
sorts.  So, it would probably be best if another site could catch the
archives.  However, this is an important resource, so if noone else is
able to do this, I could probably work something out.

Sorry for the delay in response, I've had my nose in a new book
_all_ day.

   Jason R. Mastaler                      jason@mastaler.com