* [??] delete garbage
@ 1996-08-07 13:44 Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1996-08-07 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am constantly getting mail that I consider garbage, but my management
thinks is necessary.  I want to delete it automatically.

Currently, I get at it with nnmail-split-methods and dump it all in a
"garbage" group that has an expiration time of -1.  I then add a
function to `nnmail-post-get-new-mail-hook' that does a catchup and
expire on my garbage group.

My problem is that now I am getting a deluge of these messages.  Over
500 were waiting for me this morning, and I imagine I will receive over
a thousand more by noon.

Since I am using nnml, each time I `g'et new news, I have a hundred
little messages that say:

> Wrote /local/craffert/Mail/mail/garbage/2516
> Wrote /local/craffert/Mail/mail/garbage/2517
> Wrote /local/craffert/Mail/mail/garbage/2518

followed by a hundred more that say:

> Deleting article /local/craffert/Mail/mail/garbage/2516 in mail.garbage...
> Deleting article /local/craffert/Mail/mail/garbage/2517 in mail.garbage...
> Deleting article /local/craffert/Mail/mail/garbage/2518 in mail.garbage...

This takes too long (even on my local disk).

Does anyone know a way to trash these messages directly?  Would I have a
faster time if I used an nnfolder on that group?

Could someone help me?

--
Colin