* *POP* goes the mail..
@ 1997-08-14  8:02 Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1997-08-14  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

UUh our sysadms want us to go over to pop.. whats the status for
pop-support in gnus.. I just want to collect them to my nnml-backend.

And while on the topic, is there any way for emacs to display *New
mail* in the status-line when mail has come to the pop-server??

	/andy

--
 Hi I am an alien .sig, and at the moment I am having sex to your
 mind, by looking at your smile I can see that you like it.

 Unsolicited commercial email is subject to an archival fee of $400.
 See <http://www.fukt.hk-r.se/~flognat/mail/> for more info.

* Re: *POP* goes the mail..
@ 1997-08-14 10:01 ` Steinar Bang
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Steinar Bang @ 1997-08-14 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> UUh our sysadms want us to go over to pop.. whats the status for
> pop-support in gnus.. I just want to collect them to my nnml-backend.

I've had varying success with using movemail compiled with POP.  It
doesn't work on Xemacs 19.15, it normally works on GNU emacs 19.34, on
Solaris 2.5 machine (didn't work on Ultrix 4.4), but not on all
Solaris machines, and not against all servers, and since I hacked
myself away from using POP, I haven't gotten 'round to investigating.

> And while on the topic, is there any way for emacs to display *New
> mail* in the status-line when mail has come to the pop-server??

Hm... I was looking into hacking a new mail package, to use POP, but I
then shelved it, after advice from (among others) Rich.  The
discussion took part some time in spring.  Should be in the archive.

- Steinar

* Re: *POP* goes the mail..
@ 1997-08-14 12:09 ` Johan Danielsson
From: Johan Danielsson @ 1997-08-14 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Andy Eskilsson <flognat@fukt.hk-r.se> writes:

> UUh our sysadms want us to go over to pop.. whats the status for
> pop-support in gnus.. I just want to collect them to my
> nnml-backend.

At least kpop works like a charm. I've never used
send-password-in-the-clear pop, so I can't comment on that.

> And while on the topic, is there any way for emacs to display *New
> mail* in the status-line when mail has come to the pop-server??

(setq global-mode-string (cons "*New mail* " global-mode-string))

:-)

/Johan

* Re: *POP* goes the mail..
@ 1997-08-14 14:55   ` Michael Welsh Duggan
From: Michael Welsh Duggan @ 1997-08-14 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> > UUh our sysadms want us to go over to pop.. whats the status for
> > pop-support in gnus.. I just want to collect them to my nnml-backend.
>
> I've had varying success with using movemail compiled with POP.  It
> doesn't work on Xemacs 19.15, it normally works on GNU emacs 19.34, on
> Solaris 2.5 machine (didn't work on Ultrix 4.4), but not on all
> Solaris machines, and not against all servers, and since I hacked
> myself away from using POP, I haven't gotten 'round to investigating.

I have also had varying success with movemail.  A lot depends on
whether the correct movemail (emacs's or netscape's) is used, and
whether that movemail was compiled with pop support.  I found that
using pop3.el worked more consistantly, and gave feedback as to what
was happening.

(setq nnmail-movemail-program 'nnmail-pop3-movemail)
(setq pop3-mailhost "nl.cs.cmu.edu")
(setq nnmail-spool-file '("po:md5i"))
(setq pop3-password-required t)
(setq pop3-password "xxxxxxxx")

--
Michael Duggan               Support the anti-Spam amendment
(md5i@cs.cmu.edu)            Join at <URL:http://www.cauce.org/>

* Re: *POP* goes the mail..
@ 1997-08-14 15:27   ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1997-08-14 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> I've had varying success with using movemail compiled with POP.  It
> doesn't work on Xemacs 19.15, it normally works on GNU emacs 19.34, on
> Solaris 2.5 machine (didn't work on Ultrix 4.4), but not on all
> Solaris machines, and not against all servers, and since I hacked
> myself away from using POP, I haven't gotten 'round to investigating.

I use fetchmail instead.  I've had no problems with it.
http://locke.ccil.org/~esr/fetchmail/

   Jason R. Mastaler                      jason@mastaler.com

* Re: *POP* goes the mail..
@ 1997-08-14 19:03   ` Edward J. Sabol
From: Edward J. Sabol @ 1997-08-14 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excerpts from mail: (14-Aug-97) Re: *POP* goes the mail.. by Steinar Bang
> I've had varying success with using movemail compiled with POP.

FYI, the best POP solution I've seen is one that uses a program called
fetchmail to fetch the e-mail via POP and then feeds it via SMTP to your
localhost at port 25. It makes POP virtually invisible, especially if you
have your fetchmail daemon checking your POP server every 5 minutes or so.
Fetchmail supports a dizzying array of protocols: POP2, POP3, RPOP, APOP,
KPOP, all flavors of IMAP, and ESMTP ETRN. More info can be found at
<http://locke.ccil.org/~esr/fetchmail/>. It's truly an elegant solution and
definitely cooler than movemail.

Later,
Ed

* Re: *POP* goes the mail..
@ 1997-08-14 20:33     ` Johan Danielsson
From: Johan Danielsson @ 1997-08-14 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Edward J. Sabol" <sabol@alderaan.gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:

> FYI, the best POP solution I've seen is one that uses a program
> called fetchmail to fetch the e-mail via POP and then feeds it via
> SMTP to your localhost at port 25.

Eh, if you want the mail delivered to your computer why don't you just
have it forwarded there in the first place?

/Johan

* Re: *POP* goes the mail..
@ 1997-08-14 21:54       ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1997-08-14 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

joda@pdc.kth.se (Johan Danielsson) writes:

> "Edward J. Sabol" <sabol@alderaan.gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:
>
> > FYI, the best POP solution I've seen is one that uses a program
> > called fetchmail to fetch the e-mail via POP and then feeds it via
> > SMTP to your localhost at port 25.
>
> Eh, if you want the mail delivered to your computer why don't you just
> have it forwarded there in the first place?

  1) You don't have a static IP address
  2) Your machine isn't up all the time
  3) Your machine is not directly connected to the public network

-Bill P.

* Re: *POP* goes the mail..
@ 1997-08-14 22:12     ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1997-08-14 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Welsh Duggan <md5i@cs.cmu.edu> writes:
> I have also had varying success with movemail.  A lot depends on
> whether the correct movemail (emacs's or netscape's) is used, and
> whether that movemail was compiled with pop support.

For a time, I needed both POP and a local mailbox at the same time, so
I had to figure this one out, too.  XEmacs 19.14's movemail was not
compiled with POP.  I replaced it with Netscape's version, as
delivered in a 3.x distribution, but with a couple of bug fixes 'cuz
Netscape's was perversely braindamaged.

See ftp://pocari-sweat.jprc.com/pub/movemail/ for
	diff of Netscape's version to my working version,
	a compiled binary for Linux x86, and
	the resulting movemail.c source

--karl

* Re: *POP* goes the mail..
@ 1997-08-14 22:30       ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1997-08-14 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Johan Danielsson writes:
> "Edward J. Sabol" <sabol@alderaan.gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:

>> FYI, the best POP solution I've seen is one that uses a program
>> called fetchmail to fetch the e-mail via POP and then feeds it via
>> SMTP to your localhost at port 25.

> Eh, if you want the mail delivered to your computer why don't you just
> have it forwarded there in the first place?

Getting way off topic here...

Here in the States, the typical setup is dynamic SLIP to our ISPs.
Since I am generally not connected, and the IP changes every time I do,
I cannot have mail delivered to my machine.

When I dial-up, I can run fetchmail from my machine to get the mail from
my POP mailbox on my ISP, and fetchmail than delivers each message to
the SMTP port on localhost (no matter what IP address it is).

This then puts everything in the correct mailbox, and even allows for
.forward and .procmail files to be processed correctly.

Of course, the original poster said that the problem is at work, so
delivering to the STMP port is probably not an option (since that would
just drop it right back in the POP-box).

--
Colin

* Re: *POP* goes the mail..
@ 1997-08-15  0:14         ` Johan Danielsson
From: Johan Danielsson @ 1997-08-15  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

wmperry@aventail.com (William M. Perry) writes:

>   1) You don't have a static IP address
>   2) Your machine isn't up all the time
>   3) Your machine is not directly connected to the public network

But why go through the extra step of putting it in local spool file?

/Johan

* Re: *POP* goes the mail..
@ 1997-08-15  4:13           ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1997-08-15  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

joda@pdc.kth.se (Johan Danielsson) writes:

> wmperry@aventail.com (William M. Perry) writes:
>
> >   1) You don't have a static IP address
> >   2) Your machine isn't up all the time
> >   3) Your machine is not directly connected to the public network
>
> But why go through the extra step of putting it in local spool file?

  Unknown...  perhaps so procmail and friends will work.

-Bill P.