* bogofilter config
@ 2003-10-30 13:58 Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2003-10-30 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using bogofilter with spam.el.  I simply built it, installed it (not on
my path), told spam.el where to find it and, of course, configured spam.el to
use it.  Is that all that's required?  Do I need to configure bogofilter
itself in anyway?  I see that bogofilter created
$HOME/.bogofilter/wordlist.db.  Is that the only file bogofilter need to do
its work?  Somehow it seems to easy.  Did I miss anything?

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                    Phone: (201) 209-2467
Harborside Financial Center                 Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza Two                          E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
Jersey City, NJ 07311                 www.principiapartners.com

* Re: bogofilter config
@ 2003-10-30 15:23 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-10-30 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, colman@ppllc.com wrote:

> I am using bogofilter with spam.el.  I simply built it, installed it
> (not on my path), told spam.el where to find it and, of course,
> configured spam.el to use it.  Is that all that's required?  Do I
> need to configure bogofilter itself in anyway?  I see that
> bogofilter created $HOME/.bogofilter/wordlist.db.  Is that the only
> file bogofilter need to do its work?  Somehow it seems to easy.  Did
> I miss anything?

Sorry, that's it - no chicken sacrifices are required.  You can,
however, test what bogofilter has learned by using M-x
spam-bogofilter-score while viewing a message.

Ted

* Re: bogofilter config
@ 2003-10-30 15:35   ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2003-10-30 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

   TZ> Sorry, that's it - no chicken sacrifices are required.  You can,
   TZ> however, test what bogofilter has learned by using M-x
   TZ> spam-bogofilter-score while viewing a message.

Should I see the timestamp of $HOME/.bogofilter/wordlist.db getting updated
every time I exit a group and see spam.el message about training?  Because I
am not!

--

@ 2003-10-30 15:40     ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2003-10-30 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

   TZ> Sorry, that's it - no chicken sacrifices are required.  You can,
   TZ> however, test what bogofilter has learned by using M-x
   TZ> spam-bogofilter-score while viewing a message.

   JC> Should I see the timestamp of $HOME/.bogofilter/wordlist.db getting updated
   JC> every time I exit a group and see spam.el message about training?  Because I
   JC> am not!

Quick update:  the timestamp updated when registering spam but does not seem
to update when registering ham.

--

@ 2003-10-30 15:54       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-10-30 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>    TZ> Sorry, that's it - no chicken sacrifices are required.  You
>    TZ> can, however, test what bogofilter has learned by using M-x
>    TZ> spam-bogofilter-score while viewing a message.
>
>    JC> Should I see the timestamp of $HOME/.bogofilter/wordlist.db
>    JC> getting updated every time I exit a group and see spam.el
>    JC> message about training?  Because I am not!
>
> Quick update: the timestamp updated when registering spam but does
> not seem to update when registering ham.

Turn up the Gnus verbosity and look at the log.  It should tell you
"Registering ham with Bogofilter" which means what it says.  If it
doesn't, you either have the ham-exit-processor, the group type or the
ham marks wrong.  Also try spam-process-ham-in-nonham-groups or
spam-process-ham-in-spam-groups (the latter is more restrictive, the
former works in all groups), in case the group type is wrong but you
want ham processing in it anyway.

Ted

* Re: bogofilter config
@ 2003-10-30 16:56         ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2003-10-30 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

   TZ> Turn up the Gnus verbosity and look at the log.  It should tell you
   TZ> "Registering ham with Bogofilter" which means what it says.  If it
   TZ> doesn't, you either have the ham-exit-processor, the group type or the
   TZ> ham marks wrong.  Also try spam-process-ham-in-nonham-groups or
   TZ> spam-process-ham-in-spam-groups (the latter is more restrictive, the
   TZ> former works in all groups), in case the group type is wrong but you
   TZ> want ham processing in it anyway.

I've done this and, yes, I am seeing "Registering ham with Bogofilter".  But,
no, the timestamp on wordlist.db did not change.

I am not using any variables (e.g. spam-process-ham-in-spam-groups), in my
config at all.  I am just using G-c to customize the following variables:

       the classification (ham/spam)
       the exit processor for ham/spam (both using bogofilter)
       the disposition (do nothing for ham, expire spam)

Where do I go from here?

--

@ 2003-10-31 16:30           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-10-31 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>    TZ> Turn up the Gnus verbosity and look at the log.  It should
>    TZ> tell you "Registering ham with Bogofilter" which means what
>    TZ> it says.  If it doesn't, you either have the
>    TZ> ham-exit-processor, the group type or the ham marks wrong.
>    TZ> Also try spam-process-ham-in-nonham-groups or
>    TZ> spam-process-ham-in-spam-groups (the latter is more
>    TZ> restrictive, the former works in all groups), in case the
>    TZ> group type is wrong but you want ham processing in it anyway.
>
> I've done this and, yes, I am seeing "Registering ham with
> Bogofilter".  But, no, the timestamp on wordlist.db did not change.
>
> I am not using any variables (e.g. spam-process-ham-in-spam-groups),
> in my config at all.  I am just using G-c to customize the following
> variables:
>
>        the classification (ham/spam)
>        the exit processor for ham/spam (both using bogofilter)
>        the disposition (do nothing for ham, expire spam)
>
> Where do I go from here?

Assuming this is only one group that's problematic, do `G p' on the
group and send me the output - it should be some Lisp-like
expressions.

Ted

* Re: bogofilter config
@ 2003-10-31 17:32             ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2003-10-31 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

   TZ> Assuming this is only one group that's problematic, do `G p' on the
   TZ> group and send me the output - it should be some Lisp-like
   TZ> expressions.

The problem was that the group was auto-expired.  Since the messages were
marked as 'E' they were sent for ham training.

I subscribe to many email lists.  I scan all the subjects but only read some
of the messages.  How can I use the contents of this list for ham training?
It would seem that I either have to manually read ('R mark) or delete ('r'
mark) any message which I want touse for training.  Is this correct?  Is
there anyway around this?

--

@ 2003-10-31 18:51               ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-10-31 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, colman@ppllc.com wrote:

> I subscribe to many email lists.  I scan all the subjects but only
> read some of the messages.  How can I use the contents of this list
> for ham training?  It would seem that I either have to manually read
> ('R mark) or delete ('r' mark) any message which I want touse for
> training.  Is this correct?  Is there anyway around this?

Hitting `c' (catchup) should mark all unread articles in the current
group as read.  Does that invoke the ham processing for you?

Ted

* Re: bogofilter config
@ 2003-10-31 19:51                 ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2003-10-31 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

   TZ> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, colman@ppllc.com wrote:
   >> I subscribe to many email lists.  I scan all the subjects but only
   >> read some of the messages.  How can I use the contents of this list
   >> for ham training?  It would seem that I either have to manually read
   >> ('R mark) or delete ('r' mark) any message which I want touse for
   >> training.  Is this correct?  Is there anyway around this?

   TZ> Hitting `c' (catchup) should mark all unread articles in the current
   TZ> group as read.  Does that invoke the ham processing for you?

Hmmmm.  if you are correct, then why woud I need to specify gnus-unread-mark
as a ham mark, as you suggested elsewhere?

--

@ 2003-11-01  3:08                   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-11-01  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>    TZ> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, colman@ppllc.com wrote:
>    >> I subscribe to many email lists.  I scan all the subjects but
>    >> only read some of the messages.  How can I use the contents of
>    >> this list for ham training?  It would seem that I either have
>    >> to manually read ('R mark) or delete ('r' mark) any message
>    >> which I want touse for training.  Is this correct?  Is there
>    >> anyway around this?
>
>    TZ> Hitting `c' (catchup) should mark all unread articles in the
>    TZ> current group as read.  Does that invoke the ham processing
>    TZ> for you?
>
> Hmmmm.  if you are correct, then why woud I need to specify
> gnus-unread-mark as a ham mark, as you suggested elsewhere?

In case you want to use `q' instead of `c' - the unread articles stay
unread then.  I don't claim one approach is better than the other, but
I would use `c' instead of making the unread mark a ham mark because
it requires less customization on your part.

Ted

* Re: bogofilter config
@ 2003-11-03 14:46                     ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2003-11-03 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

   >> Hmmmm.  if you are correct, then why woud I need to specify
   >> gnus-unread-mark as a ham mark, as you suggested elsewhere?

   TZ> In case you want to use `q' instead of `c' - the unread articles stay
   TZ> unread then.  I don't claim one approach is better than the other, but
   TZ> I would use `c' instead of making the unread mark a ham mark because
   TZ> it requires less customization on your part.

Ah!  I didn't make the distinction between 'q' and 'c'.  Since 'c' will mark
it as read that will statisfy the ham-mark anyway.  That's all I need.
Thanks!

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                    Phone: (201) 209-2467
Harborside Financial Center                 Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza Two                          E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
Jersey City, NJ 07311                 www.principiapartners.com

* smtpmail and starttls
@ 2003-11-07  6:39                     ` John Owens
From: John Owens @ 2003-11-07  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to get smtpmail with queueing working with starttls. This
is on OS X 10.3, for the record.

The server is saying STARTTLS but it doesn't seem to be doing anything
on my client. I have credentials (no certs) set for starttls but
nothing for auth (since I want starttls).

I've altered the machine names just to avoid any spam below (replace
ude with edu).

Any suggestions anyone may have would be appreciated.

JDO

==========

220 strat.ece.ucdavis.ude ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.8/8.12.8; Fri, 31 Oct
2003 18:19:46 -0800
EHLO fanta.ece.ucdavis.ude
250-strat.ece.ucdavis.ude Hello fanta.ece.ucdavis.ude [169.237.74.29],
pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-EXPN
250-VERB
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-STARTTLS
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP
VERB
250 2.0.0 Verbose mode
MAIL FROM:<jowens@ece.ucdavis.ude> SIZE=323
250 2.1.0 <jowens@ece.ucdavis.ude>... Sender ok
RCPT TO:<jowens@graphics.stanford.ude>
550 5.7.1 <jowens@graphics.stanford.ude>... Relaying denied. Proper
authentication required.
QUIT
221 2.0.0 strat.ece.ucdavis.ude closing connection

==========

(setq user-full-name "John Owens"
      user-mail-address "jowens@ece.ucdavis.ude"
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server "strat.ece.ucdavis.ude"
      smtpmail-smtp-server "strat.ece.ucdavis.ude"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 587
      smtpmail-starttls-credentials
      '(("strat.ece.ucdavis.ude" 587 nil nil))
      starttls-program "/usr/local/bin/starttls"
      mail-host-address "ece.ucdavis.ude"
      smtpmail-local-domain nil
      smtpmail-sendto-domain nil
      smtpmail-smtp-service "smtp"
      smtpmail-code-conv-from nil
      smtpmail-queue-mail t
      send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-debug-info t ; only to debug problems
      smtpmail-debug-verb t ; only to debug problems
      vm-frame-per-composition     nil
      )

==========

[fanta:~] jowens% which starttls
/usr/local/bin/starttls
[fanta:~] jowens% starttls
starttls (starttls) 0.9
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

Usage: starttls [options] host port

 --cert-file [file]      specify certificate file
 --key-file [file]       specify private key file
 --verify [level]        set verification level
[fanta:~] jowens% find /usr/local -name starttls\* -print
/usr/local/bin/starttls
/usr/local/share/emacs/21.3.50/lisp/gnus/starttls.el
/usr/local/share/emacs/21.3.50/lisp/gnus/starttls.elc
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/starttls.el
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/starttls.elc

* Re: smtpmail and starttls
@ 2003-11-07 16:50                       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-11-07 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

John Owens <owens.aa@ece.ucdavis.edu> writes:

> I am trying to get smtpmail with queueing working with starttls. This
> is on OS X 10.3, for the record.

Which CVS revision of smtpmail.el?  Here's what I use, and I think it
works.

jas@latte:~$ grep -e smtp -e starttls .emacs
 '(message-send-mail-function (quote smtpmail-send-it))
 '(send-mail-function (quote smtpmail-send-it))
 '(smtpmail-debug-info t)
 '(smtpmail-smtp-server "localhost")
 '(smtpmail-smtp-service 2500)
 '(smtpmail-starttls-credentials (quote (("localhost" 2500 "~/.smtp-yxa-key" "~/.smtp-yxa-crt"))))
jas@latte:~$

* Re: smtpmail and starttls
@ 2003-11-07 17:33                         ` John Owens
From: John Owens @ 2003-11-07 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> John Owens <owens.aa@ece.ucdavis.edu> writes:
>
>> I am trying to get smtpmail with queueing working with starttls. This
>> is on OS X 10.3, for the record.
>
> Which CVS revision of smtpmail.el?  Here's what I use, and I think it
> works.

Just got the latest from CVS (looks like 1.61). Same behavior.

What additional information can I provide to help debug this further?

I don't have a starttls certificate or key in the way that you do, but
other than that my settings are similar. (I have:

@ 2003-11-07 20:12                         ` John Owens
From: John Owens @ 2003-11-07 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: John Owens, ding

Simon Josefsson writes:
    John Owens <owens.aa@ece.ucdavis.edu> writes:

    > I am trying to get smtpmail with queueing working with starttls. This
    > is on OS X 10.3, for the record.

    Which CVS revision of smtpmail.el?  Here's what I use, and I think it
    works.

    jas@latte:~$ grep -e smtp -e starttls .emacs
     '(message-send-mail-function (quote smtpmail-send-it))
     '(send-mail-function (quote smtpmail-send-it))
     '(smtpmail-debug-info t)
     '(smtpmail-smtp-server "localhost")
     '(smtpmail-smtp-service 2500)
     '(smtpmail-starttls-credentials (quote (("localhost" 2500 "~/.smtp-yxa-key" "~/.smtp-yxa-crt"))))
    jas@latte:~$

It was about time I got a whole new distribution, so I got gnus 5.10.3
from cvs and a brand new emacs from cvs (21.3.50) and sent mail via
smtpmail that way too. The smtpmail has a 2003 copyright now, and I'm
getting the same errors.

JDO

* Re: smtpmail and starttls
@ 2003-11-08  1:38                           ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-11-08  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

John Owens <owens.aa@ece.ucdavis.edu> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> John Owens <owens.aa@ece.ucdavis.edu> writes:
>>
>>> I am trying to get smtpmail with queueing working with starttls. This
>>> is on OS X 10.3, for the record.
>>
>> Which CVS revision of smtpmail.el?  Here's what I use, and I think it
>> works.
>
> Just got the latest from CVS (looks like 1.61). Same behavior.
>
> What additional information can I provide to help debug this further?

Using edebug to step through `smtpmail-open-stream' would give the
best information.  (See trouble shooting section of Gnus manual.)

> I don't have a starttls certificate or key in the way that you do, but
> other than that my settings are similar. (I have:
>
>      smtpmail-starttls-credentials
>       '(("strat.ece.ucdavis.ude" 587 nil nil))

After looking more carefully at my setup, I noticed the key/cert files
I specified no longer exists (I moved them away in a upgrade or two
ago).  I'm sending this message using:

 '(smtpmail-starttls-credentials (quote (("localhost" 2500 "" ""))))

I'm not sure how to get the entries to be nil with customize.

(Port 2500 is ssh-port forwarded to 587 on my mail server.)

* Re: smtpmail and starttls
@ 2003-11-14  2:18                             ` John Owens
From: John Owens @ 2003-11-14  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> John Owens <owens.aa@ece.ucdavis.edu> writes:
>> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:

>>> Which CVS revision of smtpmail.el?  Here's what I use, and I think it
>>> works.
>>
>> Just got the latest from CVS (looks like 1.61). Same behavior.
>>
>> What additional information can I provide to help debug this further?
>
> Using edebug to step through `smtpmail-open-stream' would give the
> best information.  (See trouble shooting section of Gnus manual.)

OK, here's what's being debugged (again I'm changing edu to ude
					below):

(I'm marking all the places edebug stops with a [#] and the values
emitted there below the elisp function.)

(defun smtpmail-open-stream (process-buffer host port)
  (let ((cred (smtpmail-find-credentials
	       smtpmail-starttls-credentials [1] host [2] port [3])[4]))
    (if (null (and cred [5] (condition-case ()
			    (progn
			      (require 'starttls)
			      (call-process
			       starttls-program))
                          (error nil)))[6])[7]
	;; The normal case.
	(open-network-stream "SMTP" process-buffer [8] host [9] port [10])
      (let* ((cred-key (smtpmail-cred-key cred))
	     (cred-cert (smtpmail-cred-cert cred))
	     (starttls-extra-args
	      (when (and (stringp cred-key) (stringp
					     cred-cert)
                         (file-regular-p
			  (setq cred-key
				(expand-file-name cred-key)))
			 (file-regular-p
			  (setq cred-cert
				(expand-file-name cred-cert))))
		(list "--key-file" cred-key "--cert-file"
		      cred-cert))))
        (starttls-open-stream "SMTP" process-buffer host port)))))

[1]: (("strat.ece.ucdavis.ude" 587 "" ""))
[2]: "strat.ece.ucdavis.ude"
[3]: "smtp"
[4]: nil
[5]: nil
[6]: nil
[7]: t
[8]: #<buffer *trace of SMTP session to strat.ece.ucdavis.ude*>
[9]: "strat.ece.ucdavis.ude"
[10]: "smtp"

Then the following:

File error: "make client process failed", "connection refused", :name, "SMTP", :buffer, #<buffer *trace of SMTP session to strat.ece.ucdavis.ude*>, :host, "strat.ece.ucdavis.ude", :service, "smtp"

Again, my settings are here:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/54720/match=owens

but now I have "" instead of nil in the last two items in the list of

@ 2005-04-29 15:12   ` Andrew Raines
From: Andrew Raines @ 2005-04-29 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Andrew Raines <aaraines@pobox.com> writes:

[...]

>>   (if (and do-starttls
>>            (smtpmail-find-credentials smtpmail-starttls-credentials host port)
>>            (member 'starttls supported-extensions)
>>  --->    ;;   (numberp (process-id process)))

[...]

> Interesting, can you find out what (process-id process)
> return at that point?

Debugger entered--returning value: nil
  process-id(#<process SMTP>)
* (numberp (process-id process))
  (progn (debug) (numberp (process-id process)))
  (and do-starttls (smtpmail-find-credentials ...)))))

--
    aaraines@pobox.com (Andrew A. Raines)

* Re: smtpmail and starttls
@ 2005-04-29  8:35 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2005-04-29  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Raines <aaraines@pobox.com> writes:

> I'm using Gnus 5.11 on Emacs 21.3.50/win32 (2005-01-30), with
> the OEM smtpmail.elc.  When submitting a message to an SMTP
> server advertising STARTTLS, smtpmail never issues the verb
> in response.  I've poked around in smtpmail-via-smtp, and if
> I comment out one line (below), smtpmail issues the verb, but
> then Emacs hangs while trying to call starttls.exe.
>
>   (if (and do-starttls
>            (smtpmail-find-credentials smtpmail-starttls-credentials host port)
>            (member 'starttls supported-extensions)
>  --->    ;;   (numberp (process-id process)))
>
> My starttls.exe binary is in c:\WINDOWS, which is in
> exec-path, which should be findable by Emacs:
>
>    (executable-find "starttls") <--- C-j
>    "c:/WINDOWS/starttls.exe"
>
> Does anybody use smtpmail and STARTTLS on windows-nt
> successfully?

Interesting, can you find out what (process-id process) return at that
point?  Perhaps process-id's on Windows aren't numbers?  The test is
intended to see if the process is a external process (starttls) or
internal network connection (plain tcp).

* smtpmail and starttls
@ 2005-04-28 14:37 Andrew Raines
From: Andrew Raines @ 2005-04-28 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using Gnus 5.11 on Emacs 21.3.50/win32 (2005-01-30), with
the OEM smtpmail.elc.  When submitting a message to an SMTP
server advertising STARTTLS, smtpmail never issues the verb
in response.  I've poked around in smtpmail-via-smtp, and if
I comment out one line (below), smtpmail issues the verb, but
then Emacs hangs while trying to call starttls.exe.

  (if (and do-starttls
           (smtpmail-find-credentials smtpmail-starttls-credentials host port)
           (member 'starttls supported-extensions)
 --->    ;;   (numberp (process-id process)))

My starttls.exe binary is in c:\WINDOWS, which is in
exec-path, which should be findable by Emacs:

   (executable-find "starttls") <--- C-j
   "c:/WINDOWS/starttls.exe"

Does anybody use smtpmail and STARTTLS on windows-nt
successfully?

My relevant .gnus.el portion:

   (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 587
         send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
         message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
         smtpmail-debug-info t
         smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.raines.ws"
         smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.raines.ws" 587 nil nil)))

Thanks for any help.

--
    aaraines@pobox.com (Andrew A. Raines)