* Eek
@ 1998-09-29  7:32 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
       [not found] ` <6f1zov9vvs.fsf@dna.lth.se>
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-29  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, so I agreed to do a talk on Gnus for a member meeting of NUUG (the
Norwegian sister organization to USENIX, I guess) a couple of weeks
ago.

And now I have to start writing the thing, because the talk is next
week.

Eek.  Eek, eek, eek.

*whimper*

Eek.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Eek
       [not found] ` <6f1zov9vvs.fsf@dna.lth.se>
@ 1998-09-29 11:06   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-29 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kurt Swanson <ksw@dna.lth.se> writes:

> If the talk is next week, why do you have to work on it now?

Good point.  And I did get that nice parcel from books.com yesterday,
so it's not like I don't have anything better to do.  :-)

* Re: Eek
       [not found] ` <6f1zov9vvs.fsf@dna.lth.se>
@ 1998-09-29 13:08 ` Jes Sorensen
From: Jes Sorensen @ 1998-09-29 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> Ok, so I agreed to do a talk on Gnus for a member meeting of
Lars> NUUG (the Norwegian sister organization to USENIX, I guess) a
Lars> couple of weeks ago.

Lars> And now I have to start writing the thing, because the talk is
Lars> next week.

The best talks are the one done the night before ;-)

Jes
.

* Re: Eek
       [not found] ` <6f1zov9vvs.fsf@dna.lth.se>
@ 1998-09-29 16:16 ` Randal Schwartz
From: Randal Schwartz @ 1998-09-29 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars> And now I have to start writing the thing, because the talk is next
Lars> week.

As a professional presenter, "I share your pain".

Here's something that's worked for me.  Find a friend that
approximates your target audience as close as you can (including
presumed knowledge or lack therof about the subject of the speech).
Buy them dinner.  During dinner, talk about the subject matter,
encouraging them to ask questions whenever they want (usually not a
problem ... it's a dinner :).  Take note (mentally, or on paper) of
where the questions come from, and what you respond.

Then, when you write the talk, you'll be able to recall this "audience
of one", and it's a lot easier.  I write *all* my material to *one*
person, and it gives a clarity that seems to be unachieved in any
other method.  And if I'm stuck imagining the "one", I spend a little
on food. :) The trick is picking the "one" so that it's
representative, but you get better at that over time.

Email: <merlyn@stonehenge.com> Snail: (Call) PGP-Key: (finger merlyn@teleport.com)
Web: <A HREF="http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/">My Home Page!</A>
Quote: "I'm telling you, if I could have five lines in my .sig, I would!" -- me

* Re: Eek
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-09-29 18:02 ` Paul Franklin
From: Paul Franklin @ 1998-09-29 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wanna watch!  Will it be broadcast over the internet?

(Ja, jeg forstår litt Norsk.)

--Paul

 > Ok, so I agreed to do a talk on Gnus for a member meeting of NUUG (the
 > Norwegian sister organization to USENIX, I guess) a couple of weeks
 > ago.

 > And now I have to start writing the thing, because the talk is next
 > week.

* Re: Eek
@ 1998-09-30 11:55     ` Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1998-09-30 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 Lars> And I did get that nice parcel from books.com yesterday, so
 Lars> it's not like I don't have anything better to do. :-)

It shows. Your doing two X-Now-Readings per mail.

	Robbe

--
Robert Bihlmeyer	reads: Deutsch, English, MIME, Latin-1, NO SPAM!
<robbe@orcus.priv.at>	<http://stud2.tuwien.ac.at/~e9426626/sig.html>

* Re: Eek
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-09-30 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Bihlmeyer <e9426626@stud2.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

>  Lars> And I did get that nice parcel from books.com yesterday, so
>  Lars> it's not like I don't have anything better to do. :-)
>
> It shows. Your doing two X-Now-Readings per mail.

Am not!

I'm doing one X-Now-Reading and one X-Now-Playing, the latter being
literally correct.

All music should be played from an Emacs interface, I've always said.

* Re: Eek
@ 1998-09-30 15:14         ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1998-09-30 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:

> I'm doing one X-Now-Reading and one X-Now-Playing, the latter being
> literally correct.

> All music should be played from an Emacs interface, I've always said.

I'll bite.  Where do I get cddb-mode?

--
Colin

* Re: Eek
@ 1998-10-01  2:44   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-01  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randal Schwartz <merlyn@stonehenge.com> writes:

> I write *all* my material to *one* person, and it gives a clarity
> that seems to be unachieved in any other method.

Thanks; I think I'll try this method.

* Re: Eek
@ 1998-10-01  2:45   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-01  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Franklin <paul@cs.washington.edu> writes:

> I wanna watch!  Will it be broadcast over the internet?

:-)

Nope, thank the heavens.

* Re: Eek
@ 1998-10-01  3:07           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-01  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin Rafferty <craffert@ms.com> writes:

> > All music should be played from an Emacs interface, I've always said.
>
> I'll bite.

Ouch.

> Where do I get cddb-mode?

Er...  Nowhere?  Well, I have a cddb.el, but that just communicates
with the cddb databases, and allows editing of cddb entries, but, er,
one needs lots of external programs to extract info from the cds, so
it's not really usable for anyone but meee.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to clean up my stuff and distribute it,
but at the present I don't have the stamina.

Here's my system, which is called The Idiot Jukebox:

I'm lazy.  I loathe having to stop doing whatever I'm doing every hour
to go over to the CD player and plop in a new one.  So I bought a 5-cd
player.  And I found I a loathed going to the CD player every five
hours to plonk in five new CDs.

So I thought -- if I mp3 a bunch of CDs, I can have 111 hours of music
on one teensy weensy 6GB disk.

So I did.  I'm very pro-active in my lazyness, and I now have all my
music on mp3 (a farm of PIIs at work certainly helped), and I have
jukebox.el that lets me swap things out onto CD-R (and back again),
and play stuff, and burn stuff, and stuff.  Which is where the
X-Now-Playing line comes from; it's an mp3 being played.  (jukebox.el
also plays audio CDs, but I don't use that part much.)

So the system consists of Emacs, jukebox.el, cddb.el, a DAE, an mp3
encoder, a mp3 decoder, a sampler, a track splitter, a wav player, an
audio CD controller, an audio CD info extractor, and lots of scripts.
Totally unportable, and most of the external programs have been
slightly hacked by moi.

I'm also sampling all my vinyl, but I had to pause that work a bit
while I get a new pickup for my turntable.

What I want now is one of those funky 11-inch green terminal thingies
-- the ones that have an RS232 hanging out the back, so that I can put
one next to the stereo and control the system from that.  That'd be
k00l, dudez.

* Re: Eek
@ 1998-10-01 16:36             ` Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1998-10-01 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 Lars> Er... Nowhere? Well, I have a cddb.el, but that just
 Lars> communicates with the cddb databases, and allows editing of
 Lars> cddb entries, but, er, one needs lots of external programs to
 Lars> extract info from the cds, so it's not really usable for anyone
 Lars> but meee.

I've emacs code that interogates the cd player with "xcdinfo" (an
external program) and, if that fails checks whether any files ending
with .mp3 are open. If one test succeeds, the currently playing song
is returned.

No controlling from emacs though - but I don't think one could do much
more than call external programs (mp3 decoding in elisp?).

	Robbe

--

@ 1998-10-01 19:39         ` Mikael MC Cardell
From: Mikael MC Cardell @ 1998-10-01 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

larsi@gnus.org (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen) writes:

> I'm doing one X-Now-Reading and one X-Now-Playing, the latter being
> literally correct.
>
> All music should be played from an Emacs interface, I've always said.

You have an Emacs Lisp frontend for an mpeg player, Lars? Share it!

--
RFC 822: MC <mc@hack.org>
RFC 1738/2396: <URL:http://www.hack.org/>

* Re: Eek
@ 1998-10-02  2:43           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-10-02  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mikael MC Cardell <mc@hack.org> writes:

> You have an Emacs Lisp frontend for an mpeg player, Lars? Share it!

I may, some day, but it's going to take some work to make it portable.

* Re: Eek
@ 1998-10-02 15:54             ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-10-02 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> So I thought -- if I mp3 a bunch of CDs, I can have 111 hours of music
Lars> on one teensy weensy 6GB disk.

You are one *sick* *sick* puppy Lars...

Lars> I'm also sampling all my vinyl

I rest my case.

Lars> What I want now is one of those funky 11-inch green terminal thingies
Lars> -- the ones that have an RS232 hanging out the back, so that I can put
Lars> one next to the stereo and control the system from that.  That'd
Lars> be k00l, dudez.

Can I come visit you?  I think its going to be my life long goal to
actually meet you in person and to watch you work lying down on your
couch with your screen suspended above your head, wires running into
your closet to protect you from noise and listening to 111 hours of
recorded music off your drive...  You should give tours...

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

* Re: Eek
@ 1998-10-05 14:16               ` Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1998-10-05 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 Wes> Can I come visit you? I think its going to be my life long goal
 Wes> to actually meet you in person and to watch you work lying down
 Wes> on your couch with your screen suspended above your head, wires
 Wes> running into your closet to protect you from noise and listening
 Wes> to 111 hours of recorded music off your drive... You should give
 Wes> tours...

AOL.

Let's see: We'll have Pterodactyl Gnus Cups this winter, Programmerer
Ingebrigtsen shirts in summer. What about Opiate Gnus Tours next
winter: "Skiing, Playing, MIME-Munging in looovely Norway!".

	Robbe

--

@ 1998-10-05 14:23                 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-10-05 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Let's see: We'll have Pterodactyl Gnus Cups this winter,
> Programmerer Ingebrigtsen shirts in summer. What about Opiate Gnus
> Tours next winter: "Skiing, Playing, MIME-Munging in looovely
> Norway!".

Mind you! Møøse bites can be nasty...

* Re: Eek
@ 1998-10-05 14:47                 ` Julian Assange
From: Julian Assange @ 1998-10-05 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>  Wes> on your couch with your screen suspended above your head, wires
>  Wes> running into your closet to protect you from noise and listening
>  Wes> to 111 hours of recorded music off your drive... You should give
>  Wes> tours...

Wow. Some else actually codes like this too? Are you joking?

Cheers,
Julian.

* Re: Eek
@ 1998-10-05 15:27                   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-10-05 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Robert Bihlmeyer, ding

Wes> on your couch with your screen suspended above your head, wires
Wes> running into your closet to protect you from noise and listening
Wes> to 111 hours of recorded music off your drive... You should give
Wes> tours...

Julian> Wow. Some else actually codes like this too? Are you joking?

It was what he described as being ideal a while back.  He wanted to
suspend a monitor from the ceiling...  Don't know if actually got it
done or not ;-)

--

@ 1998-10-05 21:34                   ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1998-10-05 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Julian Assange <proff@iq.org> writes:

> Wow. Some else actually codes like this too? Are you joking?

No joke.  "I have a dream..."

See <URL:http://www.gnus.org/list-archives/ding/199806/msg00154.html>

* Re: Eek
@ 1998-10-10 17:25                     ` Matt Simmons
From: Matt Simmons @ 1998-10-10 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Wes> It was what he described as being ideal a while back.  He wanted to
    Wes> suspend a monitor from the ceiling...  Don't know if actually got it
    Wes> done or not ;-)

You could probably do it fairly easily.  You could make something
shaped like a C out of PVC tubing or metal or whatever.  The bottom of
the C would go underneath the couch, and the laptop would live on the
top (the top of the C would need to be angled up).  Hook an external
keyboard and mouse up to the laptop, and you'd be all set.

Of course, you couldn't easily do multiple heads that way, which would
be a big minus.

Matt

--
     Matt Simmons  -  simmonmt@acm.org  -  http://www.netcom.com/~simmonmt