* Gnus for XEmacs Under Windows
@ 2001-03-13  2:53 Taso N. Devetzis
From: Taso N. Devetzis @ 2001-03-13  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pardon me if this is a common question, but I searched the archives
and came up empty-handed.

I am attempting to install Oort Gnus on my Windows 98 machine under
XEmacs 21.1.x.  I have found the make.bat and xemacs.mak files in the
distribution; the former seems kludgy and specific to emacs, the
latter seems to require some sort of Micro$oft product (nmake).

I have found the XEmacs "package" format most excellent for this sort
of thing, although I must confess I don't know much about it.  So,
before rolling my own:

1. Is there a XEmacs package format of the Gnus releases somewhere (I
   mean the new ones, not the ancient releases under the XEmacs install
   tree)?

2. Is there an automatic way to create a package from the distribution
   (nothing springs at me from the makefile)?

3. What do others do (aside from avoiding windows like the plague that
   it is)?

Thanks.

/taso

* Re: Gnus for XEmacs Under Windows
@ 2001-03-13  8:29 ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2001-03-13  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taso N Devetzis <devetzis@snet.net> writes:

> 1. Is there a XEmacs package format of the Gnus releases somewhere (I
>    mean the new ones, not the ancient releases under the XEmacs install
>    tree)?

The XEmacs install tree versions aren't ancient.  The gnus package
currently on ftp.xemacs.org in /xemacs/packages is Gnus 5.8.8, the latest
stable release.

If you're after the latest development version, that's not enough of
course, but most people are probably better off running the latest stable
release.

* Re: Gnus for XEmacs Under Windows
@ 2001-03-13 20:33   ` Taso N. Devetzis
From: Taso N. Devetzis @ 2001-03-13 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> The XEmacs install tree versions aren't ancient.  The gnus package
> currently on ftp.xemacs.org in /xemacs/packages is Gnus 5.8.8, the latest
> stable release.

Really?  That's very good -- for some reason I get a version number of
1.54 when I "list and install" the XEmacs package index.  I figured
this was the original (Umeda) GNUS package.

> If you're after the latest development version, that's not enough of
> course, but most people are probably better off running the latest stable
> release.

Nope.  5.8.8 works for me (on windows anyway).

@ 2001-03-13 22:17     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-03-13 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Russ Allbery, ding

On 13 Mar 2001, Taso N. Devetzis wrote:

>> The XEmacs install tree versions aren't ancient.  The gnus package
>> currently on ftp.xemacs.org in /xemacs/packages is Gnus 5.8.8, the
>> latest stable release.
>
> Really?  That's very good -- for some reason I get a version number
> of 1.54 when I "list and install" the XEmacs package index.  I
> figured this was the original (Umeda) GNUS package.

I think the XEmacs package 1.54 contains Gnus 5.8.8.  Package version
!= Gnus version.  Strange?  Yes.

kai
--
Be indiscrete.  Do it continuously.

* Re: Gnus for XEmacs Under Windows
@ 2001-03-14  0:22       ` Russ Allbery
From: Russ Allbery @ 2001-03-14  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:
> On 13 Mar 2001, Taso N. Devetzis wrote:

>> Really?  That's very good -- for some reason I get a version number
>> of 1.54 when I "list and install" the XEmacs package index.  I
>> figured this was the original (Umeda) GNUS package.

> I think the XEmacs package 1.54 contains Gnus 5.8.8.  Package version
> != Gnus version.  Strange?  Yes.

That's correct.  You have to look in the package list file to get the
upstream version; the version numbers in the package files are the
versions of the XEmacs package, not the included software.  If you're
familiar with Red Hat or Debian packaging, think of them as the package
version (the stuff after the -) rather than the upstream version.
(Although it's not quite the same.)