* Gnus Unplugged syncing
@ 1997-11-03 14:18 Jon Kvebaek
From: Jon Kvebaek @ 1997-11-03 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just started using Gnus Unplugged, and i must admit it looks fairly
nifty. There's one thing I'd like to do though, and that's to update
my remote .newsrc* files at work as well.

Has anyone got a decent setup for this? I suspect Gnus would start
complaining if i set the .newsrc.eld file remotely in offline mode? I
read mail with Gnus as well, and could read it either with pop or
fetch it from the spool.

--
Jon Kvebaek <jkv@a.sol.no>
In my CD-player now: Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares

* Re: Gnus Unplugged syncing
@ 1997-11-04 15:53 ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1997-11-04 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: (ding)

Jon> I just started using Gnus Unplugged, and i must admit it looks
Jon> fairly nifty. There's one thing I'd like to do though, and that's
Jon> to update my remote .newsrc* files at work as well.

Yeah, even if you don't use it in an unplugged mode, but always leave
it plugged in but half the time over, say, a 1200 baud modem (ok, I'm
joking of course), it would be nice to be able to syncronize backends
on both sides through some automatic method.  It's certainly not
possible at slower speed to constantly refer to files on the far side
of a slow modem.

Wes
(in other words, 2 weeks to ISDN).
--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

* Re: Gnus Unplugged syncing
@ 1997-11-05 20:58   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-11-05 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <hardaker@calwest.net> writes:

> Yeah, even if you don't use it in an unplugged mode, but always leave
> it plugged in but half the time over, say, a 1200 baud modem (ok, I'm
> joking of course), it would be nice to be able to syncronize backends
> on both sides through some automatic method.  It's certainly not
> possible at slower speed to constantly refer to files on the far side
> of a slow modem.

But this is beyond the scope of the Gnus agent.

I don't currently have any plans to add this functionality.

* Re: Gnus Unplugged syncing
@ 1997-11-05 23:27     ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1997-11-05 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> But this is beyond the scope of the Gnus agent.

No, but its not beyond the scope of gnus (it is just not *worth*
implementing considering the project size).  Its really not agent
related at all.  Sincing two .newsrc(.eld)'s because you read news on
two different file systems has nothing to do with being online/offline
really.

Lars> I don't currently have any plans to add this functionality.

Nor do I.  It'd be a bear.

--

@ 1997-11-06 14:47       ` Jon Kvebaek
From: Jon Kvebaek @ 1997-11-06 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

* Wes Hardaker

| Lars> But this is beyond the scope of the Gnus agent.
|
| No, but its not beyond the scope of gnus (it is just not *worth*
| implementing considering the project size).  Its really not agent
| related at all.  Sincing two .newsrc(.eld)'s because you read news on
| two different file systems has nothing to do with being online/offline
| really.

I fully agree. What I was looking for was some other way to do it - or
i can do it myself.

I have, but it's "in the future". And there

However, I've been experiencing a few problems. I'll try to recap it
here:

- After downloading news, I hit J j to go unplugged and hang up the
phone. I read some news, reply and everything seems fine. Now, the
next time I do the same gnus seems to have forgotten everything about
the articles I've read. They all turn up unread instead.

- Another related(?) problem is that after restarting Gnus it
sometimes is unable to find any articles at all. All the groups are
marked with a *, end even though I'm supposedlly in unplugged mode it
tries to connect to the server.

I haven't really found a pattern in all this, but I'll experiment a
bit at home tonight. If anyone has a setup that works without any such
problems, I'd be more than happy to receive it - it might be me doing
something weird here.

--
"End of game. New games? There are no new games from here to eternity."
- William S. Burroughs, "The Electronic Revolution"

* Re: Gnus Unplugged syncing
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-11-13 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon Kvebaek <jkv@a.sol.no> writes:

> - After downloading news, I hit J j to go unplugged and hang up the
> phone. I read some news, reply and everything seems fine. Now, the
> next time I do the same gnus seems to have forgotten everything about
> the articles I've read. They all turn up unread instead.

What's your `gnus-read-active-file' variable?