* [Edbrowse-dev] noscript
@ 2014-02-21  9:41 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2014-02-21  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

> However I think displaying the contents of the noscript tags if js is already
> dead makes sense, since if we have a js failure,
> it'd then be possible to refresh the page to get the noscript contents.

When you refresh the page you "quit" the old page.
That frees the js context.
Then the new page gets a new js context and js is working again.
It would then likely run into the same error.
You have to specifically turn off js first, then refresh.
But yes you could do that.

I can't help wonder if this feature would be annoying,
there are lots of sites like Google that I run all the time without js,
it saves time and errors and the site runs just as well.

nojs = partner.googleadservices.com
nojs = google.com
nojs = googlesyndication.com
nojs = google-analytics.com

Do I really want to read all those noscript messages every time?

Your browser is not javascript enabled.
This site will not perform optimally under these conditions.
To access all the features of this site, please turn on javascript.
Here are directions on how to do so.
Blah Blah blah for each browser.

Do I really want to read through that every time I access Google,
or any other site that I have determines runs fine without javascript?
I'm not trying to be contrary here, just thinking of
all the ramifications of turning noscript on.
Or maybe noscript runs if js is dead,
but not for the nojs commands in the config file,
because I have already determined it's ok to run those sites without js.

Karl Dahlke

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] noscript
@ 2014-02-21 12:05 ` Adam Thompson
From: Adam Thompson @ 2014-02-21 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Dahlke; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 04:41:17AM -0500, Karl Dahlke wrote:
> > However I think displaying the contents of the noscript tags if js is already
> > dead makes sense, since if we have a js failure,
> > it'd then be possible to refresh the page to get the noscript contents.
>
> When you refresh the page you "quit" the old page.
> That frees the js context.
> Then the new page gets a new js context and js is working again.
> It would then likely run into the same error.
> You have to specifically turn off js first, then refresh.
> But yes you could do that.

Yeah, I forgot to say it'd be:
js
rf

rather than just:
rf

> I can't help wonder if this feature would be annoying,
> there are lots of sites like Google that I run all the time without js,
> it saves time and errors and the site runs just as well.
>
> nojs = partner.googleadservices.com
> nojs = google.com
> nojs = googlesyndication.com
> nojs = google-analytics.com
>
> Do I really want to read all those noscript messages every time?
>
> Your browser is not javascript enabled.
> This site will not perform optimally under these conditions.
> To access all the features of this site, please turn on javascript.
> Here are directions on how to do so.
> Blah Blah blah for each browser.

They appear on plenty of sites anyway if js doesn't run correctly.
I'm not sure how, probably by altering the contents of a particular tag if js
runs but initialising it with the non-js error,
or setting something to invisible in js.

> Do I really want to read through that every time I access Google,
> or any other site that I have determines runs fine without javascript?
> I'm not trying to be contrary here, just thinking of
> all the ramifications of turning noscript on.
> Or maybe noscript runs if js is dead,
> but not for the nojs commands in the config file,
> because I have already determined it's ok to run those sites without js.

In this case, what about for sites where you want js off but noscript on?  How about:
- add a flag saying if we want the noscript tags
- this is enabled by default in *all* cases where js is disabled
- have some way of disabling it for certain sites
- also have a command to disable it globally which can then go in someone's init function

At the end of the day, my personal opinion is that noscript is (or certainly was) a suggested
mechanism for web developers to handle browsers without javascript support and
edbrowse should probably use this by default if it isn't going to try and run
the javascript.
However, as you say, in some cases these messages are just annoying and should
be switched off.  However, I think it should be a user's choice, particularly as there are cases where the web developers have actually used the noscript tags to do helpful things like provide non-js functionality.

Cheers,
Adam.

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] noscript
@ 2014-02-21 18:59 ` Adam Thompson
From: Adam Thompson @ 2014-02-21 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Dahlke; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 07:46:47AM -0500, Karl Dahlke wrote:
> Ok - the noscript tags become active when js is not.

Thanks.  Pulled, built and working well.
> We can talk about features to turn them off in the nojs directive in the
> config file later.

Yeah, not sure of the best way of doing this.

> Yes I too have run into some sites where it claims js is off, but
> it is really on.
> My objects are not complete enough for it to recognize that it is on,
> so it prints those warning messages.
> These are the sites that lead us to the objects
> or methods that we are missing.
> But that's another story.

Yeah, I think a complete dom is a way off yet,
but we're certainly making large improvements.
So much so that I think that we should probably be aiming at a release around
the start of April. What do other people think?

> My jsrt file includes some noscript tags for testing.
> Browse it with js off and you'll see what I mean.
> I put in some tags, not just text, to make sure the html runs
> inside noscript, as it should.

Thanks, works well.

Cheers,
Adam.

* [Edbrowse-dev] noscript
@ 2014-02-21 12:46 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2014-02-21 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Ok - the noscript tags become active when js is not.
As Adam points out, this should be the default.