* [Edbrowse-dev] input text area
@ 2017-03-10 15:18 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2017-03-10 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

When an input field in a form is a text area it looks like <buffer 4>
I wanted to script something, fill out a form and submit, but the script can't know ahead of time which buffer is selected.
And it can't really scrape buffer 4 off the page and switch to that session.
A new command of some kind is needed.

I thought about this.

i<file

Read the contents of a file into the text buffer.
edbrowse would determine which edbrowse session and put the text there.
We already have this command, but only for text fields, read in the first line of a file into that input field.
So this would not be a new command but a new way to apply it for text areas.
But it's not general, and not as easy to do as the next one.

i@

Switch to the buffer indicated by this text area.
>From there you could read in your file, and do more, maybe edit it in some way. Then switch back to session 1.
But then again, what if you weren't in session 1.
Does the script use i@ again to toggle back to the input form?
So this is less intuitive, less obvious, but more general and more flexible.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I need either of these.
It's been 15 years and this is the first time I've run into this situation,
and even if I had these features, I find I can't execute my scripts for other reasons related to the website.
So it wouldn't help much.
This is just the thought for the day.

Karl Dahlke

only message in thread, other threads:[~2017-03-10 15:18 UTC | newest]