* [Edbrowse-dev] Apostrophe Macros
@ 2017-09-15 10:57 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2017-09-15 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

You know there are some apostrophe macros in edbrowse when you run a shell escape.
!echo '.
echo the contents of the current line. And so on.
Some of you use these a lot, I use them from time to time.
Anyways in one of my scripts I want to be able to expand these, but not in a shell escape.
It's like the file name is in amongst other stuff on the line and I strip out the other stuff by substitutions and then I want to
e '.
edit that file.
but of course '. doesn't expand on an e command, just shell escape.
I wouldn't want it to expand all the time, that would be damn confusing.
So I wanted to add this feature but not with a user interface that is horribly clunky.
I can think of three ways.

1.
!!e '.

The ! would shell escape, but !! just expands the macros and on we go.

2.
apmac
This command sets a one time flag so that the next command expands these macros.

3. Don't add any more edbrowse commands, we have enough already.
Use the substitute commands to put
file://
in front and then use the g command to go to that file.
I like this, but it assumes I don't have any other reason to expand these macros, besides shell escapes
and this special case of going to a file whose name is embedded in the current line.

I don't have a strong preference here.

Karl Dahlke

only message in thread, other threads:[~2017-09-15 10:55 UTC | newest]