* [Edbrowse-dev] interesting finding: localizeweb=en
@ 2018-01-16 11:49 Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2018-01-16 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Kevin writes:
> I found that I can get in to amazon even with a one line .ebrc:
> localizeweb = en
> Fails without it, logs me in with it. What is this??

Well now who would have guessed that?
I almost forgot myself, so this is from the users guide.

Some websites offer their contents in multiple languages.
For example, twitter.com has an English version, a French version, and so forth.
It is possible to select the language when requesting the page.
Edbrowse supports this via the localizeweb keyword in its configuration file.
For instance, the following entry in .ebrc indicates that you want the French
version, when it is available.

localizeweb = fr

At a more technical level, it sends

in the outgoing http headers.
This should have shown up as a difference between our two log files, right at line 11.
But ok, why should that matter?
Why wouldn't it guess English like every other website?
Or put up a menu of choices?
That is very mysterious.

If it holds up then I need to ask you all a question. Should I

1. Add, to the users guide, a warning that this directive should be included, since some important websites won't work without it.

2. Automatically send this http directive if you don't specify it, according to your LANG parameter.
I would of course document that behavior.

Karl Dahlke

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] interesting finding: localizeweb=en
@ 2018-01-16 13:02 ` Chuck Hallenbeck
From: Chuck Hallenbeck @ 2018-01-16 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Dahlke; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

Wow! I'm in! How much sweat and blood were shed over that one?

Many thanks for all the effort spent.

As to what to do, I recommend checking the LANG and creating an
appropriate line in .ebrc

Chuck

--
Here too, In Northeast Ohio, The Moon is New
When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] interesting finding: localizeweb=en
@ 2018-01-16 21:16   ` Kevin Carhart
From: Kevin Carhart @ 2018-01-16 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chuck Hallenbeck; +Cc: Karl Dahlke, Edbrowse-dev

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018, Chuck Hallenbeck wrote:

> Wow! I'm in! How much sweat and blood were shed over that one?

Allriiiiighhhht!

I'm glad we got it!

Yeah, I vote for setting a default language also.

* Re: [Edbrowse-dev] interesting finding: localizeweb=en
@ 2018-01-25 19:58     ` Adam Thompson
From: Adam Thompson @ 2018-01-25 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Carhart; +Cc: Chuck Hallenbeck, Edbrowse-dev

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 01:16:34PM -0800, Kevin Carhart wrote:

> I'm glad we got it!
>
> Yeah, I vote for setting a default language also.

Can we send a wildcard for this header to play safe, or, without a setting, use the locale setting?
I think I'd prefer that to setting in ebrc automatically since the user's env may change and, if they're unaware of this setting, they may have an interesting surprise.

* [Edbrowse-dev] interesting finding: localizeweb=en
@ 2018-01-25 20:05       ` Karl Dahlke
From: Karl Dahlke @ 2018-01-25 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Indeed, I did as you suggest, if not specified I use the locale.
You can still override with localizeweb in the config file, but honestly I don't think you'd ever want to do that.
It is interesting that amazon flops without it.
I guess every other browser in the world puts Accept-Language in the http headers all the time.

@ 2018-01-26 17:49         ` Adam Thompson
From: Adam Thompson @ 2018-01-26 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Dahlke; +Cc: Edbrowse-dev

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 03:05:07PM -0500, Karl Dahlke wrote:
> Indeed, I did as you suggest, if not specified I use the locale.
> You can still override with localizeweb in the config file, but honestly I don't think you'd ever want to do that.

Thanks.

> It is interesting that amazon flops without it.
> I guess every other browser in the world puts Accept-Language in the http headers all the time.

May be, or may be it's just that the big or most commonly used ones do and Amazon assumes that everyone does.