From: Kevin Carhart <kevin@carhart.net>
To: Karl Dahlke <eklhad@comcast.net>
Cc: Edbrowse-dev@lists.the-brannons.com
Subject: Re: [Edbrowse-dev] getAttributeNode / setAttributeNode
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 14:59:49 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

I don't think any of what you are doing is incorrect though.  There are
multiple sub-projects going on at once almost!  It is very, very, very
wonderful to parse and propagate style blocks and .css files.  It is a
quantum leap, iframe support is a quantum leap, so I am in heaven.

So if we ourselves call qS almost like a private member that would not be
exposed to pages, this is great.  We can call it anything we want.

There are two potential use cases for qS.

The same work that can do two kinds of jobs.  The first job is, we call qS
ourselves, as part of I think a three step process to (a) parse css
sections (b) identify and return the set of elements that the styles need
to be doled out to (c) dole out the styles to that set of elements

I leapt ahead, without enough explanation of what I was on about.
Because pages *also* call querySelector and
querySelectorAll.  It's separate in some ways - it is separate from us
being a web browser and doing an integral, fundamental thing with styles
information.  It is more like the toolbelt of the web designer.  The web
designer calls getElementsByTagName("blah") in one function and then calls
querySelectorAll(":blah") or querySelectorAll(".blah") in the next.

One job is low level and internal, and the other job is high level and
external, but they both use qS to process the selectors mini-language and
then search the tree.  (Those terms "high level" and "low level" are so
overloaded both in technical settings and regular society or whatnot that
they are really useless.  But I hope you get what I'm describing.  If
low-level is taken to mean, less about aesthetics, fundamental
architecture of a web browser per se, that's the first job.  If high-level
is taken to mean, scripters and designers who build websites, that's the
second job.)

Does that make sense?  Sorry if by overlapping two use cases I made
anything confusing.  It's like water rushing downstream because I am so
excited about both of the scenarios!!