From: "Martín Hötzel Escardó" <"escardo..."@gmail.com>
To: Homotopy Type Theory <HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Coquand's list of open problems
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 14:36:14 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

Thanks for posting this.

I am particularly interested in Problem 3, namely propositional resizing,
although of course all problems are relevant and interesting.

When one starts transcribing classical mathematics in constructive type
theory, it is not only excluded middle and choice that arise as obstacles,
but also the fact that a number of constructions don't preserve universe
levels (such as powersets, ideal completions, spaces of filters, etc), as
is well-known. So a positive solution to Problem 3 gets this out of the way.

However, in the absence of resizing, life doesn't look that bad, at least
at first sight. For example, the powerset construction (-) -> Prop (once we
fix the type Prop for a particular universe) is not a monad because of the
violation of universe levels, but other than that is has all the expected
structure needed to define a monad, as well as the required properties.

So one vague question is how much one can do *without* propositional
resizing and living with the fact that universe levels may go up and down
in constructions such as the above. (A vague answer is "a lot", from my own
experience of formalizing things.)

A more precise question is that if we have a monad "up to universe
juggling" (such as the above), what kind of universal property "up to
universe juggling" does it correspond to.

This problem doesn't arise in 1-topos theory, which, by stipulation, has
propositional resizing of sorts, as this is implied by the very definition
of subobject classifier. But it seems that this is not a problem in a
univalent type theory: Maps X->Prop (even if Prop may be in a universe
higher than that of X) correspond to embeddings X'->X. Propositional
resizing then probably arises by analogy from 1-topos theory. But is it
really needed? This is not a rhetorical question, but a genuine
"operational" mathematical question: how does life without resizing look
like? We know a lot about how life without excluded middle (and hence
choice) looks like, but I think we know much less about life without
propositional resizing. I propose this as "  Problem 3'  ".

Martin