From: "Martín Hötzel Escardó" <"escardo..."@gmail.com>
To: Homotopy Type Theory <HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [HoTT] Re: Coquand's list of open problems
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 02:14:20 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

Right, this kind of thing is indeed what I have in mind.

Another example (with Cory Knapp) is a lifting monad induced by a
dominance. Fix a universe U. Then its type of propositions, Prop, lives in
the next universe U'. A dominance is a subset of Prop subject to certain
conditions. Prop itself is a dominance, and let's consider this for
simplicity. Then a partial element of a type X is a proposition P (the
extent of definition of the partial element) together with a function P->X.
The lifting of X is then

   LX := Sigma(P:U), isProp P * (P->X).

If X is in a universe V, then LX is in the universe U' \/ V (namely the
least universe after U' and V, where we are assuming a sequence of
universes). However, if we apply L once more to get L(L X), this is in the
same universe as L X (we increase the universe levels only once), and we
get well typed functions eta : X->LX and mu : L(LX)->LX that satisfy the
monad laws.

If we assume propositional resizing, then all propositions live in the
first universe U0, and so does Prop, and then L becomes a monad in the
usual sense. But it is not clear what is gained by this (in this example)
other than getting something one is more familiar with.

In other examples, resizing does make a difference (of course). Consider
for example the assertion that Prop is a complete lattice with respect to
the "->" ordering . If we say that every family has a least upper bound,
then we don't need resizing to prove that (we use the propositional
truncation of the sum of the family to calculate the join). But to get
that every *subset* of Prop (that is, map s : Prop->Prop) has a least upper
bound, we would need resizing, as the natural candidate Sigma(P:Prop), s(P)
is a proposition in the next universe and hence is not in Prop unless we
have resizing. In this second example, the problem is solved by working
with families rather than subsets. Are there examples in which there is no
(known) way out without resizing?

Martin