* Voevodsky obituary in Nature
@ 2017-11-07 21:40 Daniel R. Grayson
From: Daniel R. Grayson @ 2017-11-07 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Homotopy Type Theory

See https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-017-05477-9

* Re: [HoTT] Voevodsky obituary in Nature
@ 2017-11-07 21:51 ` Dimitris Tsementzis
From: Dimitris Tsementzis @ 2017-11-07 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel R. Grayson; +Cc: Homotopy Type Theory

Dan,

It is an interesting idea to refer to univalence as a “mechanism” rather than an “axiom”.

Even if you did it for expository reasons, I believe that in certain contexts it is a good phrase to adopt.

Dimitris

@ 2017-11-07 22:49   ` Martín Hötzel Escardó
From: Martín Hötzel Escardó @ 2017-11-07 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Homotopy Type Theory

On Tuesday, 7 November 2017 21:50:24 UTC, Dimitris Tsementzis wrote:

> Dan,
>
> It is an interesting idea to refer to univalence as a “mechanism” rather
> than an “axiom”.
>
> Even if you did it for expository reasons, I believe that in certain
> contexts it is a good phrase to adopt.

I very much like this way of expression, too, even though univalence became
a mechanism for the first time with cubicaltt.

Nevertheless, although Vladimir certainly didn't have a mechanism for
univalence, he envisioned its possibility, and even formulated a conjecture
that is still unsettled, namely that if univalence implies that there is a
*number* n:N with a property P(n), then we can find, metatheoretically,
using an algorithm, a *numeral* n':N (a closed term of type N) and a proof
that univalence implies P(n'). No mechanism for univalence can currently
provide that, as far as I know.

Martin

@ 2017-11-07 23:11     ` Martín Hötzel Escardó
From: Martín Hötzel Escardó @ 2017-11-07 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)