* Characterizing the equality of Indexed W types
@ 2017-09-13  4:41 jas...
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: jas... @ 2017-09-13  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Homotopy Type Theory

Hello,

I have uploaded to GitHub a Coq development characterizing the equality of
Indexed W types (dependent W types, inductive families) up to equivalence,
as an Indexed W type.

https://github.com/jashug/IWTypes

We define an Indexed W type as an inductive family, where every node in a
regular W type is assigned an index.
We then show that the types a = b are inductively generated by (sup x
children1) = (sup x children2) with children (children1 c = children2 c).

Calling the map from the data of a node to its index f, we show if the
fibers of f have positive h-level, then the Indexed W type has the same
h-level.
Assuming the children are finite enumerable, we also show that decidable
equality is inherited from the fibers of f.

I am not aware of these results in any of the literature; hopefully they
are a useful contribution to the understanding of inductive types in ITT /
HoTT.
Please send any comments, questions or suggestions.

- Jasper Hugunin

* Re: [HoTT] Characterizing the equality of Indexed W types
@ 2017-09-13  7:50 ` Bas Spitters
       [not found]   ` <CAGTS-a_jmQVw3p8ROS6pR-sD0p6-Z_PsHR9R77nLSgNG1vHrLw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Bas Spitters @ 2017-09-13  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jas..., Thorsten Altenkirch, Christian Sattler; +Cc: Homotopy Type Theory

Dear Jasper,

Thanks. This is a nice result.

Thorsten and Christian will correct me, but I believe the reduction
from indexed W-types to W-types was not fully worked out in HoTT
before.

Christian announced a beautiful route to it using ideas from higher
category theory, but I don't think the full details in HoTT ever
appeared.
I've tried to collect references here:
https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/inductive+family#higher_categorical_version_homotopy_type_theory

I think it would be nice to add your results both to the HoTT library
and to Unimath.

Best regards,

Bas

@ 2017-09-13  9:29 ` Gaëtan Gilbert
From: Gaëtan Gilbert @ 2017-09-13  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: HomotopyTypeTheory

I've been experimenting with similar results in
https://github.com/SkySkimmer/HoTTClasses/blob/inductives/theories/theory/inductives.v
, mostly looking for a syntactic criterion for an inductive family being
propositional.

Gaëtan Gilbert

On 09/13/2017 06:41 AM, jas...@cs.washington.edu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have uploaded to GitHub a Coq development characterizing the equality
> of Indexed W types (dependent W types, inductive families) up to
> equivalence, as an Indexed W type.
>
> https://github.com/jashug/IWTypes
>
> We define an Indexed W type as an inductive family, where every node in
> a regular W type is assigned an index.
> We then show that the types a = b are inductively generated by (sup x
> children1) = (sup x children2) with children (children1 c = children2 c).
>
> Calling the map from the data of a node to its index f, we show if the
> fibers of f have positive h-level, then the Indexed W type has the same
> h-level.
> Assuming the children are finite enumerable, we also show that decidable
> equality is inherited from the fibers of f.
>
> I am not aware of these results in any of the literature; hopefully they
> are a useful contribution to the understanding of inductive types in ITT
> / HoTT.
> Please send any comments, questions or suggestions.
>
> - Jasper Hugunin
>
> --

* Re: Characterizing the equality of Indexed W types
@ 2017-09-13  9:42 ` Paolo Capriotti
From: Paolo Capriotti @ 2017-09-13  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Homotopy Type Theory

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017, at 05:41 AM, Jasper Hugunin wrote:
> I am not aware of these results in any of the literature; hopefully they
> are a useful contribution to the understanding of inductive types in ITT

I have a similar development here:
https://github.com/pcapriotti/agda-base/tree/master/.  Look in
`src/container/w`.

BR,
Paolo

* Re: [HoTT] Characterizing the equality of Indexed W types
@ 2017-09-13 11:05   ` Christian Sattler
       [not found]   ` <CAGTS-a_jmQVw3p8ROS6pR-sD0p6-Z_PsHR9R77nLSgNG1vHrLw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Christian Sattler @ 2017-09-13 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bas Spitters; +Cc: jas..., Thorsten Altenkirch, Homotopy Type Theory

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 9:50 AM, Bas Spitters <b.a.w.s...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Jasper,
>
> Thanks. This is a nice result.
>
> Thorsten and Christian will correct me, but I believe the reduction
> from indexed W-types to W-types was not fully worked out in HoTT
> before.

All reductions (be it in extensional TT or MLTT with funext) that I know of
carve the (homotopy) indexed W-type X out of a "larger" (homotopy) W-type Y.

In book-style HoTT (where one has enough nice universes), the carving out
can be done simply by defining a "predicate" P : Y -> U (not valued in
propositions in general) by recursion on Y and letting X = (y : Y) x P(y).
I believe I've seen Coq code by Peter Lumsdaine from quite a while ago
doing this.

But even without large elimination, the carving out can still be done using
a certain coreflexive equalizer, just like Gambino-Hyland do it for
extensional type theory using a equalizer (also coreflexive, but which
doesn't matter in the 1-categorical context). I wanted to write this up
nicely for a quite a while now, but I am still lacking a nice way of
talking about internal higher functors and so on without universes.

Christian

> Christian announced a beautiful route to it using ideas from higher
> category theory, but I don't think the full details in HoTT ever
> appeared.
> I've tried to collect references here:
> https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/inductive+family#higher_catego
> rical_version_homotopy_type_theory
>
> I think it would be nice to add your results both to the HoTT library
> and to Unimath.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Bas
>
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 5:41 AM,  <jas...@cs.washington.edu> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have uploaded to GitHub a Coq development characterizing the equality
> of
> > Indexed W types (dependent W types, inductive families) up to
> equivalence,
> > as an Indexed W type.
> >
> > https://github.com/jashug/IWTypes
> >
> > We define an Indexed W type as an inductive family, where every node in a
> > regular W type is assigned an index.
> > We then show that the types a = b are inductively generated by (sup x
> > children1) = (sup x children2) with children (children1 c = children2 c).
> >
> > Calling the map from the data of a node to its index f, we show if the
> > fibers of f have positive h-level, then the Indexed W type has the same
> > h-level.
> > Assuming the children are finite enumerable, we also show that decidable
> > equality is inherited from the fibers of f.
> >
> > I am not aware of these results in any of the literature; hopefully they
> are
> > a useful contribution to the understanding of inductive types in ITT /
> HoTT.
> > Please send any comments, questions or suggestions.
> >
> > - Jasper Hugunin
> >
> > --

* Fwd: [HoTT] Characterizing the equality of Indexed W types
       [not found]   ` <CAGTS-a_jmQVw3p8ROS6pR-sD0p6-Z_PsHR9R77nLSgNG1vHrLw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2017-09-13 11:38     ` Jasper Hugunin
From: Jasper Hugunin @ 2017-09-13 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: HomotopyTypeTheory

Apologies, hit reply when reply all was more appropriate (better than the
other way around).

From: Bas Spitters @ 2017-09-13 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Sattler, Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine
  Cc: jas..., Thorsten Altenkirch, Homotopy Type Theory

Thanks. I have updated the nlab and also included links to the three
formalizations.
https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/inductive+family

@Peter, if your formalization is available, we should add a link too.