From: Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine <p.l.lu...@gmail.com>
To: Michael Shulman <shu...@sandiego.edu>
Cc: Andrew Polonsky <andrew....@gmail.com>,
	Dan Licata <d...@cs.cmu.edu>,
	 Homotopy Type Theory <HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [HoTT] A puzzle about "univalent equality"
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 14:57:16 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Michael Shulman <shu...@sandiego.edu>
wrote:

> Although, as Voevodsky showed, weak funext implies strong funext.

Just to clarify, though, this *doesn’t*  mean that Andews’ original goal
“proj1 Y = tt” is necesarily inhabited, if the funext witness used early in
his development is taken just from weak funext.

The proof “weak funext implies strong funext” shows that given some witness
funext0 of weak funext (i.e. funext0 : (forall X Y f g, f == g -> f = g)),
then you can construct some new witness funext1, which additionally is a
(two-sided) inverse for the canonical map the other way (“ap10” in the
current HoTT library).  (I blogged the details here:
https://homotopytypetheory.org/2011/12/19/strong-funext-from-weak/)

But it *doesn’t* show that the original witness funext0 is an inverse for
ap10, and indeed the proof points to how this may fail: funext0 might
conjugate paths by some family of non-trivial loops in the codomain type.
Andrew’s original goal “proj1 Y = tt” depends on the witness used earlier
for funext — so if that witness happens to conjugate paths Bool –> Bool in
Type by the non-trivial auto-equivalence of Bool, then one could have proj1
Y = ff.

–p.