* Weaker forms of univalence
@ 2017-07-19 16:26 Ian Orton
From: Ian Orton @ 2017-07-19 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: HomotopyTypeTheory

Consider the following three statements, for all types A and B:

   (1)  (A ≃ B) -> (A = B)
   (2)  (A ≃ B) ≃ (A = B)
   (3)  isEquiv idtoeqv

(3) is the full univalence axiom and we have implications (3) -> (2) ->
(1), but can we say anything about the other directions? Do we have (1)
-> (2) or (2) -> (3)? Can we construct models separating any/all of
these three statements?

Thanks,
Ian

* Re: [HoTT] Weaker forms of univalence
@ 2017-07-19 17:19 ` Michael Shulman
From: Michael Shulman @ 2017-07-19 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Orton; +Cc: HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com

It was observed previously on this list, I think, that full univalence
(3) is equivalent to

(4)  forall A, IsContr( Sigma(B:U) (A ≃ B) ).

This follows from the fact that a fiberwise map is a fiberwise
equivalence as soon as it induces an equivalence on total spaces, and
the fact that based path spaces are contractible.  But the
contractibility of based path spaces also gives (2) -> (4), and hence
(2) -> (3).

I am not sure about (1).  It might be an open question even in the
case when A and B are propositions.

@ 2017-07-19 17:21 ` Jason Gross
From: Jason Gross @ 2017-07-19 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Orton, HomotopyT...

Certainly (2) => (3), at least if you assume function extensionality; it
suffices to show that (\Sigma B, A ≃ B) is contractable, and since
contractibility and sigma respect equivalence, we can transfer the proof
that (\Sigma B, A = B) is contractable. I think the same is not true of
(1), though I'm not sure.

@ 2017-07-19 17:28   ` Michael Shulman
From: Michael Shulman @ 2017-07-19 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gross; +Cc: Ian Orton, HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com

I don't think you need function extensionality for contractibility and
Sigma to respect equivalence.  We need funext for Pi to respect
equivalence, but there are no Pis here.

@ 2017-07-19 18:02     ` Jason Gross
From: Jason Gross @ 2017-07-19 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Shulman; +Cc: Ian Orton, HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com

> I am not sure about (1).  It might be an open > question even in the
> case when A and B are propositions.

If A and B are hProps, then (1) => (3) under function extensionality (not
sure if you can do away with out here).  The key idea is that there can be
only one equivalence between hProps. To prove contractibility, we must show
that (A, idequiv) = (B, e) for any equivalence e of A and B.  Let us prove
A = B by (1); what remains is proving that idequiv = transport (1) e.  It
now suffices to show that A ≃ A is an hProp for A an hProp.  This follows
from function extensionality.

@ 2017-07-19 18:04   ` Nicolai Kraus
From: Nicolai Kraus @ 2017-07-19 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: HomotopyTypeTheory

On 19/07/17 18:19, Michael Shulman wrote:
> I am not sure about (1).  It might be an open question even in the
> case when A and B are propositions.

If we restrict ourselves to the case that A and B are propositions, then
   (1)  (A ≃ B) -> (A = B)
is as strong as (2) / (3), since (1) then says that equality is implied
by a reflexive propositional relation and thus a proposition.
Of course this needs funext.
(Afaik (1) is often called "propositional extensionality", but we could
also just call it "univalence for propositions.)

We have once discussed on this list whether (1) is consistent with UIP
(i.e. it would be different from (2)), but we did not find an answer.

Nicolai

* Re: [HoTT] Weaker forms of univalence
@ 2017-07-20  6:56   ` Bas Spitters
From: Bas Spitters @ 2017-07-20  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Shulman; +Cc: Ian Orton, HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com

>It was observed previously on this list,
Maybe we should be using our wiki more?
https://ncatlab.org/homotopytypetheory/

@ 2017-07-20 11:59     ` Steve Awodey
From: Steve Awodey @ 2017-07-20 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bas Spitters; +Cc: Michael Shulman, Ian Orton, HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com

I think we’ve been through this before:

 (1)  (A ≃ B) -> (A = B)

is logically equivalent to what may be called “invariance”:

	if P(X) is any type depending on a type variable X, then given any equivalence e : A ≃ B , we have P(A) ≃ P(B).

if we add to this a certain “computation rule”, we get something logically equivalent to UA:
assume p : A ≃ B → A = B; then given e : A ≃ B, we have p(e) : A = B is a path in U.
Since we can transport along this path in any family of types over U, and transport is always an equivalence,
there is a transport p(e)∗ : A ≃ B in the identity family.
The required “computation rule” states that p(e)∗ = e.

Steve

@ 2017-07-20 17:57       ` Michael Shulman
From: Michael Shulman @ 2017-07-20 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Awodey; +Cc: Bas Spitters, Ian Orton, HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com

But is it known that this is definitely weaker?  E.g. are there models
that satisfy invariance but not the computation rule?

@ 2017-07-21  1:36         ` Matt Oliveri
From: Matt Oliveri @ 2017-07-21  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Homotopy Type Theory; +Cc: awo..., b.a.w.s..., ri...

Why wouldn't a skeletal LCCC be a model of (1) + UIP?

@ 2017-07-21  7:43           ` Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine
From: Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine @ 2017-07-21  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Oliveri; +Cc: Homotopy Type Theory, Steve Awodey, Bas Spitters, Ian Orton