From: Michael Shulman <shu...@sandiego.edu>
To: Martin Escardo <escardo...@googlemail.com>
Cc: "HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com" <HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [HoTT] Does MLTT have "or"?
Date: Tue, 2 May 2017 12:04:59 -0700	[thread overview]

Some thoughts:

- If in addition to function extensionality and propositional
extensionality we assume propositional resizing, then ||-|| is
constructible using the standard argument that an elementary topos is
a regular category.

- A model of MLTT with function extensionality but no universes is
given by any locally cartesian closed category (perhaps with
coproducts if we have binary sum types).  It seems that surely not
every lccc with coproducts is a regular category -- though I don't
have an example ready to hand, let alone an example that also has
universes.