From: Andrew Swan <wakeli...@gmail.com>
To: Homotopy Type Theory <HomotopyT...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Does MLTT have "or"?
Date: Sat, 6 May 2017 06:51:02 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

We consider the category "localisation of setoids." That is we take the
objects to be sets equipped with an equivalence relation (X, ~), and
morphisms (X, ~) -> (Y, ~) to be functions f: X/~ -> Y/~ such that there
exists a function f': X -> Y commuting with f and the quotient maps. In ZFC
we can show that this category is equivalent to Set, so we already know it
is complete, cocomplete and locally cartesian closed. However, it will be
important that we can also do this constructively i.e. without using the
equivalence with Set. Note that one can give explicit definitions of limits
and colimits as well as dependent products that work constructively.

Say that a setoid is trivial if the equivalence classes are all singletons.
The full subcategory of trivial setoids is isomorphic to the category of
sets (and this time the isomorphism works constructively).

Note that image factorisation is different in trivial setoids and setoids.
Suppose we have some morphism of trivial setoids f: (X, ~) -> (Y, ~) (since
these are trivial setoids this is just any map X -> Y). For the image
factorisation in setoids, we take the underlying set of im(f) to be X, but
change the equivalence relation, to ~' defined by x ~' x' whenever f(x) =
f(x'). On the other hand the image factorisation in trivial setoids is the
quotient X/~' together with the trivial equivalence relation. Assuming
choice these will be isomorphic. However, the key point is that in general
the converse also holds, so by working internally in a model of set theory
where AC fails, we can get examples where the image factorisations are not
isomorphic (ie where the inclusion of subcategory functor does not preserve
image factorisation).

On the other hand, the rest of the type theoretic structure is preserved by
the inclusion functor. Dependent products, finite limits and disjoint sums
are all the same in trivial setoids and setoids.

We now assume that we have an inaccessible set, stated using a suitable
constructive notion of inaccessible. We define a universe U_1 -> U_0 by
taking U_0 to be the set of all small trivial setoids, and an element of
U_1 is a small trivial setoid together with one of its elements. Take the
equivalence relation on U_1 and U_2 to just be trivial. The small maps f: X
-> Y are then those which are both small in the usual sense (fibres are
isomorphic to elements of the inaccessible set), and also admit a function
f': X -> Y which makes a pullback square with f and the quotient maps. Note
that if Y is trivial and f: X -> Y is small then X is also trivial. We can
also consider another larger universe V_1 -> V_0 which consists of all
small setoids.

If we interpret type theory in the above category we can almost, but not
quite answer question (4). We work internally in the Lifschitz
realizability model like in Chen, Rathjen, Lifschitz realizability for
intuitionistic Zermelo–Fraenkel set theory
<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00153-012-0299-2>. In type
theory we work over the context consisting of binary sequences a: N -> 2
which are 1 at most once, and we consider the propositions P(a) = forall n.
a(2n) = 0 and Q(a) = forall n. a(2n + 1) = 0. Call this context A. Then
LLPO is the statement that for all a in A, the proposition P(a) \/ Q(a) is
true (when disjunction exists at all). If the disjunction ||P \/ Q||
exists, then we would have maps of the form P + Q -> || P + Q || -> A in
the model. If || P + Q || belongs to the universe U, then the map || P + Q
|| -> A would be small, which would make the setoid || P + Q || trivial,
and in particular it has to be just a subset of A. On the other hand, if
this is still the disjunction of P and Q when we move up to the larger
universe V, then it has to be isomorphic to the "real" image factorisation
in setoids, which consists of pairs (i, a) where either i = 0 and P(a)
holds or i = 1 and Q(a) holds, together with the equivalence relation that
identifies (0, a) and (1, a) when both occur in the set. If this was
isomorphic to a monomorphism, then, assuming LLPO, we would have a choice
function, that selects for each a in A, a choice of i such that i = 0 and
P(a) or i = 1 and Q(a). However this is impossible in Lifschitz
realizability.

I think it's possible to get a complete answer to question (4) by instead
working with the arrow category of setoids, and then interpreting the
universe as the inclusion of U into V.

Finally, the above was working over a context, A, but I think it's also
possible to do the same over the empty context, because I have some
unpublished results that imply there is a specific computable sequence a: N
-> 2 such that IZF + LLPO + MP proves a has at most one 1, but for any
definable set, x, IZF + LLPO + MP cannot prove the statement "x belongs to
2, and either x = 0 and P(a) holds or x = 1 and Q(a) holds".

Best,
Andrew