* posting name in summary buffer
@ 2007-01-20  7:29 Gernot Hassenpflug
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Gernot Hassenpflug @ 2007-01-20  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

System: Ubuntu 6.10 GNU/linux on AMD64 with No Gnus v0.6

I am confused and don't know what to look for. The problem is that in
my own posts in a group I see an arrow and the name of the group in
the summary buffer where I expect to see my own name for the post I
made. I don't know what that field is called. In the manual it seems
to be called "the name from the From header".

I look in the manual, and tried Google searches. Posting styles
doesn't seem to help with this, my email address and signaure settings
are always correct, but my name does not appear. Also, I saw some
discussion that Gnus now generates the "name from the From header"
automatically and that it is bad to try and set this.

Here are my settings for personal information in Emacs (true values
replaced by X and Y):

(setq user-mail-address "gernot@X.X.X.jp")
(setq user-full-name "Gernot Hassenpflug")
(setq mail-host-address "Y.Y.Y")

Then I modify them for Newsgroup posting with gnus:

(setq gnus-local-domain "Y.Y.Y")

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      '((".*"
	 (name "Gernot Hassenpflug")
	 (address "gernot@X.X.X.jp")
	 ("Sender" (message-make-sender))
	 (organization "RISH, Kyoto University"))
))

Also , when writing mail the sender line is as follows:

Sender: gernot@fukaolx15.rish.kuins.net

where the username is my login name and the machine name is the
internal LAN machine name. Clearly, gnus is creating this from my
hostname and login information. However, in such a case, especially
when a machine has several names, how to tell gnus which to select to
get a correct sender?

Is there something I have missed, or conflicting here?
Many thanks,
     Gernot
--
BOFH excuse #139:

UBNC (user brain not connected)

* Re: posting name in summary buffer
@ 2007-01-20 10:46 ` Gernot Hassenpflug
From: Gernot Hassenpflug @ 2007-01-20 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Urgh, extra information: when I read gnus from another machine, I see
my name properly endered in my own posted previously made from the
machine in which I do not see my own posts. So I surmise that the
problem is not with the sending, but with the display of posts only.
If anyone has seen such a problem before I would really appreciate a
pointer. My configuration file is minimal, including only the
connection information and the user setting given in my previous post.

Thanks,
--
G Hassenpflug

* Re: posting name in summary buffer
@ 2007-01-20 11:50 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2007-01-20 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:29:59 +0900, Gernot wrote:

> I am confused and don't know what to look for. The problem is that in
> my own posts in a group I see an arrow and the name of the group in
> the summary buffer where I expect to see my own name for the post I
> made. I don't know what that field is called. In the manual it seems
> to be called "the name from the From header".

Perhaps changing the variable gnus-ignored-from-addresses will be of
use to you?

,----[ C-h v gnus-ignored-from-addresses RET ]
| `gnus-ignored-from-addresses' is a variable declared in Lisp.
|   -- loaded from "gnus-sum"
|
| Value: "\\(asjo\\|adam\\)@\\(koldfront.dk\\|asjo.org\\|diku.dk\\)"
|
| Documentation:
| *Regexp of From headers that may be suppressed in favor of To headers.
`----

If you do not set it, it defaults to your user-mail-address, which
probably explains this:

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 19:46:38 +0900, Gernot wrote:

> Urgh, extra information: when I read gnus from another machine, I see
> my name properly endered in my own posted previously made from the
> machine in which I do not see my own posts.

What you've hit is a feature.

Perhaps it makes the most sense in email - seeing the name of the
recipient for emails you sent yourself is more valuable information
than what your own name is; presumably you are aware of that :-)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Subdued flamboyance"                                        Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: posting name in summary buffer
@ 2007-01-20 12:33 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-01-20 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----[ <f1> v gnus-summary-line-format RET ]
| Documentation:
| *The format specification of the lines in the summary buffer.
|
| It works along the same lines as a normal formatting string,
| with some simple extensions.
|
| %F   Contents of the From: header (string)
| %f   Contents of the From: or To: headers (string)
`----

Doing an index search in the manual for this variable (<f1> i d m gnus
RET i gnus-summary-line-format RET), I get:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Summary Buffer Lines") ]
| `f'
|      The name, `To' header or the `Newsgroups' header (*note To From
|      Newsgroups::).
`----

Maybe we should add the part about Newsgroups in the doc string as
well.

,----[ (info "(gnus)To From Newsgroups") ]
| In some groups (particularly in archive groups), the `From' header
| isn't very interesting, since all the articles there are written by
| you.  To display the information in the `To' or `Newsgroups' headers
| instead, you need to decide three things: What information to gather;
| where to display it; and when to display it.
|
|   1. The reading of extra header information is controlled by the
|      `gnus-extra-headers'.  This is a list of header symbols.  For
|      instance:
|
|           (setq gnus-extra-headers
|                 '(To Newsgroups X-Newsreader))
|
|      This will result in Gnus trying to obtain these three headers, and
|      storing it in header structures for later easy retrieval.
`----

So removing Newsgroups from `gnus-extra-headers' should help.

> I look in the manual, [...]

If you can give us some keyword which you tried for your search, we
could add them to the index of the manual.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: posting name in summary buffer
@ 2007-01-20 13:54   ` Gernot Hassenpflug
From: Gernot Hassenpflug @ 2007-01-20 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Adam> On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:29:59 +0900, Gernot wrote:
    >> I am confused and don't know what to look for. The problem is
    >> that in my own posts in a group I see an arrow and the name of
    >> the group in the summary buffer where I expect to see my own
    >> name for the post I made. I don't know what that field is
    >> called. In the manual it seems to be called "the name from the
    >> From header".

    Adam> Perhaps changing the variable gnus-ignored-from-addresses
    Adam> will be of use to you?

    Adam> ,----[ C-h v gnus-ignored-from-addresses RET ] |
    Adam> `gnus-ignored-from-addresses' is a variable declared in
    Adam> Lisp.  | -- loaded from "gnus-sum"
    Adam> |
    Adam> | Value:
    Adam> "\\(asjo\\|adam\\)@\\(koldfront.dk\\|asjo.org\\|diku.dk\\)"
    Adam> |
    Adam> | Documentation: | *Regexp of From headers that may be
    Adam> suppressed in favor of To headers.  `----

Hello Adam,

Many thanks,

I checked this variable, and indeed, it was not set. Setting it to
ignore my own addresses solved the "problem". (Not knowing what is
going on is a problem)

    Adam> If you do not set it, it defaults to your user-mail-address,
    Adam> which probably explains this:

    Adam> On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 19:46:38 +0900, Gernot wrote:

> Urgh, extra information: when I read gnus from another machine, I see
    >> my name properly endered in my own posted previously made from
    >> the machine in which I do not see my own posts.

    Adam> What you've hit is a feature.

    Adam> Perhaps it makes the most sense in email - seeing the name
    Adam> of the recipient for emails you sent yourself is more
    Adam> valuable information than what your own name is; presumably
    Adam> you are aware of that :-)

Hah, your explanation makes perfect sense, even to a thcky like yours
truly who shrivels at the mere sight of lisp code.

Many thanks once again,
     Gernot
--
G Hassenpflug

* Re: posting name in summary buffer
@ 2007-01-20 23:07     ` Martin Jørgensen
From: Martin Jørgensen @ 2007-01-20 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gernot Hassenpflug <gernot@mb3.seikyou.ne.jp> writes:

>     Adam> On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:29:59 +0900, Gernot wrote:
>     >> I am confused and don't know what to look for. The problem is
>     >> that in my own posts in a group I see an arrow and the name of
>     >> the group in the summary buffer where I expect to see my own
>     >> name for the post I made. I don't know what that field is
>     >> called. In the manual it seems to be called "the name from the
>     >> From header".
>
>     Adam> Perhaps changing the variable gnus-ignored-from-addresses
>     Adam> will be of use to you?
>
>     Adam> ,----[ C-h v gnus-ignored-from-addresses RET ] |
>     Adam> `gnus-ignored-from-addresses' is a variable declared in
>     Adam> Lisp.  | -- loaded from "gnus-sum"
>     Adam> |
>     Adam> | Value:
>     Adam> "\\(asjo\\|adam\\)@\\(koldfront.dk\\|asjo.org\\|diku.dk\\)"
>     Adam> |
>     Adam> | Documentation: | *Regexp of From headers that may be
>     Adam> suppressed in favor of To headers.  `----

How do you post/reply like that?

Best regards
Martin Jørgensen

Home of Martin Jørgensen - http://www.martinjoergensen.dk

* Re: posting name in summary buffer
@ 2007-01-21  0:06     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2007-01-21  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 22:54:40 +0900, Gernot wrote:

> I checked this variable, and indeed, it was not set. Setting it to
> ignore my own addresses solved the "problem". (Not knowing what is
> going on is a problem)

(Sure; often I've encountered problems that turned out to be features
I hadn't learned/understood yet.)

Adam> Perhaps it makes the most sense in email - seeing the name
Adam> of the recipient for emails you sent yourself is more
Adam> valuable information than what your own name is; presumably
Adam> you are aware of that :-)

(Actually, seeing the newsgroup instead of your own name is of great
value in the Drafts-group, so it makes sense to do so for news as
well, I think).

> Hah, your explanation makes perfect sense, even to a thcky like yours
> truly who shrivels at the mere sight of lisp code.

Great!

I've used Gnus for years and years before reading a couple of chapters
of the elisp manual and writing a few simple functions; go about it in
your own pace, I'd say :-)

  Best regards,

--

@ 2007-01-21  0:11       ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2007-01-21  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 00:07:42 +0100, Martin wrote:

> How do you post/reply like that?

I hit 'F'.

Oh, you meant the boxes? Take a look at boxquote.el:

 ";; The latest version of boxquote.el can be found at:
  ;;
  ;;   <URL:http://www.davep.org/emacs/#boxquote.el>"

  Best regards,

--

@ 2007-01-21 10:36         ` Martin Jørgensen
From: Martin Jørgensen @ 2007-01-21 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 00:07:42 +0100, Martin wrote:
>
>> How do you post/reply like that?
>
> I hit 'F'.
>
> Oh, you meant the boxes? Take a look at boxquote.el:
>
>  ";; The latest version of boxquote.el can be found at:
>   ;;
>   ;;   <URL:http://www.davep.org/emacs/#boxquote.el>"

I'm not very good at emacs/gnus. But I should have written what I meant
more clear. You had something like this:

    Adam> Perhaps changing the variable gnus-ignored-from-addresses
    Adam> will be of use to you?

...etc..

Where the name "Adam" was inserted in the beginning of each quoted
line. Do I need boxquote.el for that?

I have no experience with .el-files or emacs-lisp, but use emacs for
usenet-posting and writing latex documents (with
auctex+reftex+previewlatex).

So if I want to be able to quote, where the name is inserted in the
beginning of each quoted line, how do I do that?

If it requires me to download boxquote.el, I assume I have to insert
something into my .gnus or .emacs file. What should I do in that case?

@ 2007-01-21 11:13           ` Charles philip Chan
From: Charles philip Chan @ 2007-01-21 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21 Jan 2007, hotmail_spam@hotmail.com wrote:

> Where the name "Adam" was inserted in the beginning of each quoted
> line. Do I need boxquote.el for that?

No. You need to customize and use supercite.

,----
| M-x customize-group
| supercite
`----

is probably the easist way for you.

Charles

--
printk(KERN_WARNING MYNAM ": (bad VooDoo)\n");
        linux-2.6.6/drivers/message/fusion/mptctl.c

* Re: posting name in summary buffer
@ 2007-01-21 12:47           ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2007-01-21 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 11:36:32 +0100, Martin wrote:

> more clear. You had something like this:

Adam> Perhaps changing the variable gnus-ignored-from-addresses
Adam> will be of use to you?

> ...etc..

> Where the name "Adam" was inserted in the beginning of each quoted
> line. Do I need boxquote.el for that?

No. You need SuperCite.

And that wasn't my doing, that was the person who quoted me.

(And please consider not using that style of quoting, most people
don't, and it just confuses most non-emacs-supercite readers).

> So if I want to be able to quote, where the name is inserted in the
> beginning of each quoted line, how do I do that?

Read the SuperCite manual.

> If it requires me to download boxquote.el, I assume I have to insert
> something into my .gnus or .emacs file. What should I do in that case?

Read the documentation, if you can't make it work then, ask again.

  Best regards,

--

@ 2007-01-21 15:25             ` Springfield
From: Springfield @ 2007-01-21 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (And please consider not using that style of quoting, most people
> don't, and it just confuses most non-emacs-supercite readers).

I'd just like to follow that up with a hear hear. That style of posting
really screws up the formatting of deep posts.

Cheers,
Spring
--
"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single
words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope." - Sir Winston

* Re: posting name in summary buffer
@ 2007-01-21 20:34               ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2007-01-21 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 15:25:50 +0000, Springfield wrote:

> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:
>> (And please consider not using that style of quoting, most people
>> don't, and it just confuses most non-emacs-supercite readers).

> I'd just like to follow that up with a hear hear. That style of posting
> really screws up the formatting of deep posts.

I do not dislike the style as such - I think it can help in threads with
many relies, because you can see who wrote what directly and don't
have to compare number of '>'s with author.

The problem is all the discussions from people that do dislike the
style - or don't understand it - that inevatibly ensue, IMHO.

  Best regards,

--

@ 2007-01-22  4:18   ` Gernot Hassenpflug
From: Gernot Hassenpflug @ 2007-01-22  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Sat, Jan 20 2007, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
>
>> I am confused and don't know what to look for. The problem is that in
>> my own posts in a group I see an arrow and the name of the group in
>> the summary buffer where I expect to see my own name for the post I
>> made. I don't know what that field is called. In the manual it seems
>> to be called "the name from the From header".
>
> ,----[ <f1> v gnus-summary-line-format RET ]
> | Documentation:
> | *The format specification of the lines in the summary buffer.
> |
> | It works along the same lines as a normal formatting string,
> | with some simple extensions.
> |
> | %F   Contents of the From: header (string)
> | %f   Contents of the From: or To: headers (string)
> `----
>
> Doing an index search in the manual for this variable (<f1> i d m gnus
> RET i gnus-summary-line-format RET), I get:
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Summary Buffer Lines") ]
> | `f'
> |      The name, `To' header or the `Newsgroups' header (*note To From
> |      Newsgroups::).
> `----

Ah, thank you, I did not realize that this was related.

> Maybe we should add the part about Newsgroups in the doc string as
> well.
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)To From Newsgroups") ]
> | In some groups (particularly in archive groups), the `From' header
> | isn't very interesting, since all the articles there are written by
> | you.  To display the information in the `To' or `Newsgroups' headers
> | instead, you need to decide three things: What information to gather;
> | where to display it; and when to display it.
> |
> |   1. The reading of extra header information is controlled by the
> |      `gnus-extra-headers'.  This is a list of header symbols.  For
> |      instance:
> |
> |           (setq gnus-extra-headers
> |                 '(To Newsgroups X-Newsreader))
> |
> |      This will result in Gnus trying to obtain these three headers, and
> |      storing it in header structures for later easy retrieval.
> `----
>
> So removing Newsgroups from `gnus-extra-headers' should help.
>
>> I look in the manual, [...]
>
> If you can give us some keyword which you tried for your search, we
> could add them to the index of the manual.

Reiner, I did not use a search like you advise above, I went to the
gnus variable/function index and searched in that list of index words
for all those with the word "name" in them, since I thought that was
what was incorrect (my posting name). It turns out from the advice I
got and from your information that I should instead have searched for
"from" or "headers" among other things, something did not occur to me.

--
BOFH excuse #174:

Backbone adjustment

* Re: posting name in summary buffer
@ 2007-01-23  7:59                 ` Martin Jørgensen
From: Martin Jørgensen @ 2007-01-23  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 15:25:50 +0000, Springfield wrote:
>
>> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:
>>> (And please consider not using that style of quoting, most people
>>> don't, and it just confuses most non-emacs-supercite readers).

Thanks. I will consider that but I'm not sure how it should confuse
readers. I think it looked very clear who wrote what...

>> I'd just like to follow that up with a hear hear. That style of posting
>> really screws up the formatting of deep posts.

Ok.

> I do not dislike the style as such - I think it can help in threads with
> many relies, because you can see who wrote what directly and don't
> have to compare number of '>'s with author.

The most annoying thing is with "deep" discussion where people delete
who wrote what and then you can't keep track of who wrote what... But
I'll read about supercite and consider it.

> The problem is all the discussions from people that do dislike the
> style - or don't understand it - that inevatibly ensue, IMHO.

:-)

@ 2007-01-23  8:07             ` Martin Jørgensen
From: Martin Jørgensen @ 2007-01-23  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 11:36:32 +0100, Martin wrote:
>
>> more clear. You had something like this:
>
> Adam> Perhaps changing the variable gnus-ignored-from-addresses
> Adam> will be of use to you?
>
>> ...etc..
>
>> Where the name "Adam" was inserted in the beginning of each quoted
>> line. Do I need boxquote.el for that?
>
> No. You need SuperCite.

Thanks.

> And that wasn't my doing, that was the person who quoted me.

Oh.

> (And please consider not using that style of quoting, most people
> don't, and it just confuses most non-emacs-supercite readers).
>
>> So if I want to be able to quote, where the name is inserted in the
>> beginning of each quoted line, how do I do that?
>
> Read the SuperCite manual.
>
>> If it requires me to download boxquote.el, I assume I have to insert
>> something into my .gnus or .emacs file. What should I do in that case?
>
> Read the documentation, if you can't make it work then, ask again.

I'll try it out, thanks...

@ 2007-01-23 17:33                   ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2007-01-23 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 08:59:00 +0100, Martin wrote:

> Thanks. I will consider that but I'm not sure how it should confuse
> readers. I think it looked very clear who wrote what...

Maybe people care less now - as they seem to do with top-posting - I
used to be flamed for using the "Name>"-style; after a while I came to
the conclusion that it wasn't worth the trouble.

  Best regards,

--
 "Lawrence of Suburbia                                        Adam Sjøgren
  Real life is murder"                                   asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: posting name in summary buffer
@ 2007-01-24 14:52                     ` Martin Jørgensen
From: Martin Jørgensen @ 2007-01-24 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

    Adam> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 08:59:00 +0100, Martin wrote:
    >> Thanks. I will consider that but I'm not sure how it should
    >> confuse readers. I think it looked very clear who wrote what...

    Adam> Maybe people care less now - as they seem to do with
    Adam> top-posting - I used to be flamed for using the "Name>"-style;
    Adam> after a while I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth
    Adam> the trouble.

Aha.... I'll just watch and see what people think about this posting
style and if they get too annoyed, I'll stop again...

BTW: Where does all that white-space in the beginning of my citation
come from? Hmm.... I only added these 3 lines to my .emacs:

(autoload 'sc-cite-original     "supercite" "Supercite 3.1" t)
(autoload 'sc-submit-bug-report "supercite" "Supercite 3.1" t)
(setq message-cite-function 'sc-cite-original)

@ 2007-01-24 15:33                       ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2007-01-24 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

hotmail_spam@hotmail.com (Martin Jørgensen) writes:

>     Adam> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 08:59:00 +0100, Martin wrote:
>     >> Thanks. I will consider that but I'm not sure how it should
>     >> confuse readers. I think it looked very clear who wrote what...
>
>     Adam> Maybe people care less now - as they seem to do with
>     Adam> top-posting - I used to be flamed for using the "Name>"-style;
>     Adam> after a while I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth
>     Adam> the trouble.
>
> Aha.... I'll just watch and see what people think about this posting
> style and if they get too annoyed, I'll stop again...

I had a passing fling with Supercite several years ago.  I stopped
mostly because my citations looked different from everyone else's, and
the styles didn't really play well together.  The style I really
wanted was a composite indent-and-attribute style like

  Adam> second-level post
 MJ> Your reply to adam.
DZM> If only Supercite did what I wanted!

The other problem I never figured out how to solve is filling in
"other" attributions -- where you quote Adam quoting you, the ">>"
should get replaced with your own initials, but that involves some
logic capable of searching the article history and figuring that out.

> BTW: Where does all that white-space in the beginning of my citation
> come from? Hmm.... I only added these 3 lines to my .emacs:
>
> (autoload 'sc-cite-original     "supercite" "Supercite 3.1" t)
> (autoload 'sc-submit-bug-report "supercite" "Supercite 3.1" t)
> (setq message-cite-function 'sc-cite-original)

My guess is sc-citation-leader, poking at some variables.

  --dzm

* Re: posting name in summary buffer
@ 2007-01-24 21:13                         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2007-01-24 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

David Z Maze <dmaze@mit.edu> writes:

> The other problem I never figured out how to solve is filling in
> "other" attributions -- where you quote Adam quoting you, the ">>"
> should get replaced with your own initials, but that involves some
> logic capable of searching the article history and figuring that out.

Mark the paragraph, M-x sc-recite-region RET.  Asks you for the
initials, I believe.

Better a manual way than no way :-)

Kai